Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• or

219 results found

1. Multi-relinking with one click

In large projects like catalogues in different languages on own layers, I often have to relink a lot of identical signets (eps) with the appropriate ones in another language on another layer. Sadly it seems to be impossible to do that with one single click. I have to relink every single file separately. The command "Relink all instances …" only works at link folders but not on a group of selected links filtered with the layers in the links panel column. It would be great to relink only a selection of links of the same image with only one…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add ability to add multiple header rows to tables

I would like to be able to add multiple header rows (or something along those lines) to tables so that a table style would be reapplied from that row onward. This would allow alternating fills to always begin on the same color after a header. This feature would be especially handy when adding a row to an existing table as only the fills under the current section of the table you're working on would change. Additionally this table would then be one single table instead of multiple linked tables, allowing changes to any formatting such as column width to be…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Vertical tabs (for better vertical justification in/between para spacing)

There are already similar requests for a fix for the Vertical Justification problem & I'm dealing with this at the moment: several paragraphs & needing the bottom-most para (a 2-line inline table) to appear on the bottom line of the text frame. I have spent so many hours & tried setting it in a table (amongst other things) but, really, it makes more work & I need a Paragraph Border at the sides as a column rule - which was great in a table but which doesn't seem to work on the bottom table paragraph. I'd prefer it as non-table…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Rule Above/Rule Below dialog

Please make both Rule Above and Rule Below visible at the same time, rather than toggling between them. Oftentimes, both are used in conjunction with each other. And there's plenty of room to do so. If need be, the Keep in Frame checkbox can be moved up next to the button for rule on/off.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Split & Span Text Box functionality inside Table Cells

Split & Span Text Box functionality inside Table Cells, so you can create multiple text columns within an individual cell

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Span Table Across Columns

If you create a table, why can you not span the table across columns? For instance, if you create a table and span it across two columns, the text in the right column overwrites the table, regardless of table spacing. It appears to be fault or flaw in the table options menu. If you decide to make the table as its own text frame — you lose the flowing table feature. Please see sample—I have exaggerated the table spacing so you see the problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. option to start paragraph rule at end of text

Give an option to start a paragraph rule at end of text, possibly with a specified amount of white space between the end of text and the beginning of the rule.

Attached are an example of what I'm wanting, and two shots of the paragraph rule settings I'm currently using to try and accomplish.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Paragraph Shading corners do not continue between columns

The paragraph border has an option to "Display Border if Paragraph Splits Across Frames/Columns" BUT paragraph shading lacks the corresponding option. Resulting in a mismatch across frames and columns. See screen shots.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Text Frame Auto-Size in story mode (linked frames)

Dear Indesign Development Team,

Please fix the Auto-Size Text Frame feature in InDesign. When running a story through multiple text frames the Auto-Size feature does not work. The feature should recognize the Frame Break or Column Break symbol as the end of the text in a frame and Auto-Size the frame accordingly. Please! I am tired of hacking my way through features to get the result I want while I feel it should be real simple.

Comment and vote if you agree.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Form Field Calculations in InDesign

With InDesign's form tools, we're missing the ability to add calculations to form fields in InDesign, and that task must be done manually in Acrobat.

To start, I'd like to be able to build simple calcs into my InDesign forms. Example:

And expense report has a form field for each day of the week, and then a total for all of the days. Would like a simple summation calc that I could use for rows of fields or columns of fields. Or both!

Another example: multiplication of quantity times price. Or multiplication of 5% sales tax on an amount…

101 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add Text color for Paragraph Borders

For Paragraph Rules we can choose 'Text Color'. Please add that to Paragraph Borders as well.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Proper Relative Path Manager for Links

Allow us the ability to specify relative paths to linked assets to aid in duplication of jobs and production work.

A copied file will remember all static addresses to it's previous location.

In a scenario of using templates to complete jobs where assets get replaced and flipped, you lose time linking assets to the new address when the copied ID file should be able to look within it's new HOME FOLDER, and attempt to refresh all links.

Exporting from said file is also problematic, as the destination folder is still the "original location" and not the new file location of…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Make option for "Edit->Place and Link" to update only table contents, not formatting

In some cases I must use some tables with technical data in multiple documents in various conditions. For example, I wish to put it in catalogue layout with a table width of 287 mm, and in container label with a table width of 240 mm. Content and text format remain unchanged, but column width can vary.
    So I "Place and Link" the table, try to update my link. All my formatting is lost, and the table expands back to 287 mm. This is very annoying, especially when I need to handle hundreds of tables, which is usual situation for my…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Complex spread layout and spread containing 10+ pages

We do a lot of large format printing. In some cases we have large displays arranged in rows and columns. Unfortunately it's not possible to arrange pages of a spread in rows and columns like in Illustrator.

I could create a large page and freely arrange smaller pages inside the large page, but that's very limited, because all pages need to be part of the same spread—and spreads itself are limited to 10 pages.

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Zoom using only Scroll Wheel / Pan with the middle mouse button

Today, the majority of softwares have a simply rule regarding using a mouse: scroll wheel to zoom in/out and middle button and pan with middle button clicked.
    Simply like that.
    So why only PS has the option to use the scroll wheel as zoom and the other softwares from the Adobe CC don't?
    And why all the softwares in the Adobe CC doesn't the option to use the scroll wheel to zoom without pressing Alt and pan without the need to use the Spacebar.
    If those features are implemented, most people that already use Adobe products will love it!

43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  UI  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Hide table rows and columns

I would like the ability to hide table rows and columns, like can be done in Excel.

Even better than hiding them would be the ability to apply conditional text to specific rows or columns. Right now, if I need to hide a row, I have to cut it and paste it onto the pasteboard, then when I need it, I have to go back into the table and try to reinsert it.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. save pre-sets page sizes etc i.e. backup settings

save pre-set, prefs, page sizes swatches work spaces for backups. (like Little Snitch will save all rules).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Stroke cap and paragraph rule styles

It would be incredibly useful to have the option for more control over the end cap in stroke styles/paragraph rules. For example, in Illustrator there is the option to use a softened end cap as opposed to a straight cut off, but InDesign only has a straight edge option, making it difficult to build an elegant line style without importing it as a graphic (this feature is sorely lacking in pursuits such as book design). The stock line styles feel garish or clunky and it would be oh-so-nice to be able to edit these or have more options to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Bullets and numbering - background or box

When applying a character style in the bullets and numbering tab, all characteristics are applied except for underline/strikethrough options. I noticed that this has been mentioned several times over the years but has not been changed as of CC 12.0.0.81.

If this is impossible to fix, is it then perhaps possible to implement an option to add a background to bullets or numbering, similar to the paragraph rule, which allows for offset, indentation etc.

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. smart tabs

Suppose I have a document with a table laid out in it. I don't want to use a table, instead I go to a tabbed list so I can save some space. What I would want is the option to left justify the first column, right justify the last column, and distribute the other columns so that each tab has the exact same width in that row without having to manually space them out.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base