How can we improve InDesign?

Option to have list indents work near text-wrap objects

Currently, when text containing bulleted or numbered lists wraps around an object, all indents associated with the list settings are ignored (this might be related to tab settings, since those don't follow the wrap either). The typical workaround is to change the Text After to an en-space and add an "Indent to Here" character, but the en-space trick won't work for numbered lists and "Indent to Here" won't work if the text wrap edge is not perfectly straight vertical. See the attached screenshot for a demonstration based on real work I did yesterday. In order not to disrupt existing layouts, this should be added as an option - I imagine a checkbox in either the Text Wrap settings or Bullets/Numbering settings, whichever you think is more appropriate. It could called something like "Treat edge of wrap as edge of text frame", so that tab stops, list indents, and anything else that behaves this way will honor the wrap. (An extra-cool additional checkbox option could be to have even the stroke and fill of the text frame follow the wrap, but I know that would be much harder code to write.)

44 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Karen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ken Maynard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes... PLEASE!! I use inline images for a magazine I produce and it's annoying to have to create a separate tab for those images.

Feedback and Knowledge Base