How can we improve InDesign?

Endnotes as bibliography, reference one source multiple times.

When creating a bibliography often times you must reference one source multiple times.

the way that it is set up now, adding a new endnote creates a new entry at the bottom. there is no way to reference something twice.

Obviously this creates concerns when considering navigation, as it works both ways now.

24 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • LoneGirl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Multiple crashes and headaches later, I'm having to custom-add the same source number multiple times (which means I'll have to go and make the endnotes link back to the right numbers) and am also needing to add multiple endnote numbers in a row, separated by commas (i.e. 24, 25, 26, 27) and while I can keep inserting the endnotes in a row, I have to have a special character style set up and applied for each comma manually inserted in-between the additional numbers.

• Stuart McCoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am completely onboard with this idea. I keep hoping endnotes will be updated to support this but I'm always letdown when it does not. I like the idea of making these "references", or whatever, and having footnotes, endnotes, and references as distinct concepts within InDesign.

• Kathy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! I work on pharma documents and we have many instances of the same article or study being referred to in multiple places. I was hoping Endnotes could be useful for our purposes, but not as it currently stands.

• Coco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For example in a footnote number 16:

16. This is the footnote number 16. See also related note 24, in page 38, and note 36 in page 45.

I want and and i need that the related notes in note 16 are cross reference that automatically updates de number of notes and pages when i add or delete notes.

• Nicolas Fischer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such an important functionality that is lacking in InDesign. It should be either implemented in the endnote feature, or be it's own "references" function.

Sadly, the only option for doing this right now is manually setting every single footnote, which has a huge potential for errors.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps keep 'endnotes', but duplicate most parts of the this feature and specifically call it 'References'.

Then make it clever enough to write references as this: "1-6, 8, 12" and not "1,2,3,4,5,6,8,12".

• Dominikus Bethäuser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe Adobe could implement a palette for the Endnotes, like they do with the Hyperlinks feature. A drag and drop or point-to feature would be useful in my opinion.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this! When working with reference heavy documents, the new endnote feature looked like a lifesaver. But, when not able to reference the same source twice, it (in my opinion) is completely unusable.

As for the navigation, either remove completely or implement a dropdown feature when the reference is adressed more than once. The ability to "reuse" a reference is way more versatile than navigation in my opinion.

Feedback and Knowledge Base