Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• or

132 results found

1. ALT key results in stall

Pressing the ALT key - be that for zooming out, using a fitting option, or any other shortcut, slows indesign to the point of non-performance, sometimes for 20 seconds or more. Happens primarily when I'm in a document with more pages/items. Have uninstalled all adobe programs and reinstalled, hasn't fixed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Design disappears in workspace, only selections are visible

This issue seems to happen out of nowhere. Sometimes when revisiting InDesign, sometimes when zooming in or out. My whole design disappears into the workspace, only showing the selections when I click them.

The only fix for now is saving and restarting InDesign, but it's very inconvenient.

I am using macOS Sonoma 14.1, and InDesign 18.5.1.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. type shifting

Type in indesign 13.1 constantly shifting - it as though there is a text wrap that causes it to "bump down" a space. There is no rhyme or reason to it - it is happening every time I pace a text box. SOMETIMES zooming out will fix it, but is is a real drag to not have WYSIWYG. Annoying

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Horizontal lines appear on a regular basis

Horizontal lines appear on a regular basis. Very frustrating. They appear when I scroll up or down, generally when zoomed in. I have to clear them with 'Hide Guides' keys (Command, semicolon key).

Also, the 'Hide Guide’ feature is flaky when using the short cut command. The guides will not remain in the 'Show Guide'I mode. I then have to use the menu to activate.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. frozen

The screen does not update/move when zooming or scrolling the pages. The rulers indicate that I am moving between pages in the document, but the screen stays frozen on one page. After clicking and opening menus a number of times, the screen eventually updates. This happens intermittently, on various documents, no matter the complexity/file-size. Indesign is up-to-date. (MacOS Big Sur 11.7.4)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. When I base a new master page on another, and then override any one element in the new master, the keyboard on my Mac quits working

In Indesign (15.1.1), when I base a new master on another, and then override any one element in the new master, the keyboard on my Mac (OS 10.14.6) stops working. It stops working in InDesign--either I get nothing or I get random zooms and other oddities, unrelated to the keystrokes--and it stops working in every other program as well until I reboot.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. What if I could double click the application title bar to minimize a window into the dock?

Dear Adobe,
    Double-clicking a title bar to minimize a window is Mac behavior that goes back to the first release of OS10 in 2001. It is based on an even older behavior from OS9 where double clicking a title bar would "windowshade" the window like a roller blind rolling up into itself.

Apple and Adobe train us all the time to adapt to new technologies and interfaces. Some behaviors we learn are easy to shake off and adapt to the new ones, especially if we haven't done them for very long. As a creative professional who has obviously done this…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. libraries

******* Adobe, I'm still getting this CC libraries pane in InDesign being super zoomed-in... it comes and goes but I always have to restart InDesign to correct it... only to have it return to plague me constantly.

I've spent over 2 hours with Adobe Support with no solution, and I've uninstalled/reinstalled multiple versions (including the latest) many times.

Nothing works!

See attached image to view the problem.

This has been like this since late 2020! ADOBE CAN YOU PLEASE FIX YOUR SOFTWARE?!?!?!?!?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. [GPU Performance issue] ID 16.2.1 introduces GPU lag and stuttering on macOS

The InDesign 16.2.1 update for Mac introduces a general lag when panning, scrolling, or zooming in and out, using either the trackpad or the hand tool.

In the previous version of InDesign, when the Application Frame was active, each one of these actions was completely buttery smooth and GPU-accelerated.

Now, it's stuttery and choppy, and an overall unpleasant experience (although this was the default level of performance for many previous years of InDesign; however, now that we've seen much better, with software that actually makes use of our powerful hardware, we'd like not to regress).

The issue was found…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. wacom display

I just upgraded to a Wacom 32 tablet and am having this problem only in Indesign. There are random little grey squares all over the page - and not just the file window but the entire "artboard" area. Other apps are not doing this. I've tried zooming in and out, display quality settings, nothing has helped. And it's not an image issue - it's basically a display issue. I have no idea how to fix this and I'm almost rendered unable to do at least 50% of my job as I'm not just an illustrator but a designer too.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Preferences Reset after working with a large XML based file

I work with large XML files to create catalogs several times a month. This results in InDesign giving me a lot of "Continue without Undo" prompts anytime I do any action (even scrolling and zooming), so I save the file and quit InDesign. Upon reopening InDesign, it says that it cannot read my preference file and resets everything.

This is extremely frustrating, as while my workspace is saved, all of the character/paragraph/object styles, swatches, and program settings are completely wiped, as are all the tool tips and notifications. Barring being able to not have this problem occur regularly, is…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for providing the information. Just copy the preference and try the following workflow –
    • Delete InDesign preferences
    • Copy the InDesign corrupt preferences.
    • Launch InDesign.
    • An alert would come that the preference have been reset.

If the above workflow works with the copied preference, Zip them and mail it to santalwa@adobe.com.

Regards
    InDesign Team

12. swatch / colour display bug IND 19.2 - not all swatches used are appearing in swatch panel

New update Indesign 19.2 swatches / colours in document not all appearing in swatches panel - you've always been able to easily delete a swatch in indesign and it'll delete everywhere if, for example, you paste something from another document and it brings in a conflicting colour, without having to use "find swatch" (which is great for finding where it's used but not as fast if you don't care where it is).

Yesterday I noticed not all swatches used are appearing however. A text box I had used a colour background that definitely isn't in swatches. I also noticed one…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 3 4 5 7 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?