Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• or

377 results found

1. Right-to-Left and Left-to-Right text boxes and style sheets are confusing

Dear Adobe InDesign Team,

Please simplify how users specify left-to-right Western language text boxes and documents versus right-to-left Middle Eastern language text boxes and documents in the multi language version of InDesign.

There are no fewer that four places where paragraph direction and language specification appear in various places in the InDesign workspace.

Users would benefit from simplification of language-switching tools, because InDesign's interface does not readily expose what language text direction it is using and sometimes switches paragraph direction without users knowing what these international language settings are defaulting to.

My issue had to do with US English text…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. search

I use CC 2017, but of course have seen this issue in other versions, Mac, and PC. When typing in a search term, like search term, the letters I type in show up backward, if at all, so mret chraes... which of course makes searching impossible. I can close the program, close the dialog box, and it still keeps coming up. It's so frustrating when you have 1000s of pages and need to find multiple words in between to keep opening/closing/shutting down

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Bugs with Whitespaces in Justification’s Composer when work with Thai language and other issues

As my report on bug with text wrapping in 2020 version (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38998636-bug-with-world-ready-composer-when-use-space-like). Many of issues were fixed, but some still remain.
    Before going to the issue in the title of the post, I want to specify some issue that doesn’t fix form my last report. If you see on the attachment img 02, you will see the issue about text encoding (it just only my suspicion) that happen when you just copy and paste text (specifically in Thai) form 2020 version to 2019 or to another text editor. After I had pasted text into TextEdit almost vowels…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Problem with Bookmarks that contain special characters

I have a document with bookmarks that contain phrases with words containing special characters (specifically Italian accents, for example: L’ubiquità della collaborazione)

Then I have buttons at the top of the document. Each button links to a specific bookmark. If the bookmarks contain this characters/accents, the button don't work.
    So the buttons only work when linking to bookmarks not contain special characters/accents.

Solved the problem by changing the procedure I used to create bookmarks:

This is what WON'T WORK:
    - highlighting all the text and then create a bookmark.
    Pro: The bookmarks are added automatically with all the sentence…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 3 types of consistent crashes during past 3 months

Using version 14.0.2 x64 under Windows 10.

Working on a 356-page book. Three types of crashes occur consistently:

1 - When I export to PDF.
    2 - When I add pages, usually in increments of 10.
    3 - When I switch between single-page layout and 2-page spread layout.

After every crash, when I go to open the file, inDesign offers to auto recover the file. When I say yes, InDesign warns me that the file might be corrupt. I always open anyway. After 3 months working on this book, I can't afford to start over, so I hope for the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. unknown character

1. Adobe InDesign 2021

Hello,

For several months now, when I place a .docx document in inDesign, it can happen that a character is misinterpreted by inDesign.
    It's as if it's invisible for the layout, but it actually cuts the word in half for spelling correction, for example.
    When I copy it to search for it with inDesign with or without GREP, it does paste something (a lowercase L or an uppercase i preceded by a ^ in normal or ~ in GREP) but it doesn't find it.
    When displaying hidden characters it appears as two vertical red dots (see…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. InDesign CC 2018 UK dictionary is wrong

The UK dictionary in InDesign CC 2018 is wrong. It is recognizing both American and British spellings of certain words as correct. The biggest issues I've found so far are "iz" versus "is" spellings (e.g. capitalize/capitalise) and words that need an extra "e" (e.g. ageing). I have all text boxes in my document set to UK English, and spellcheck is finding certain misspellings (e.g. "or" versus "our"), but not others.

This is a major problem for those of us who regularly have to "translate" text from American English to UK English. Is there a way to import a…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Clearly a bug in InDesign CC

While working on an Arabic font I need to kern the space U+0020 between certain letters. So the required lookup is added to the font, with instructions to apply kerning whether the preceding letter have marks (above or below) or no marks at all i.e. the kerning is not effected by the preceding letter's marks. The Arabic script is written in right to left direction.

Now the MS Word is showing the correct behavior as shown in the image. The first pair (without marks) and the second pair (with brown marks) both are kerned as instructed by font but the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Share for Review has ISSUES

I have been using the Share for Review feature for almost two years now for my employer to review documents that I am creating for them. I use it almost daily and never had any issues until the updates that came a month or two ago.

Since the Share for Review feature was updated I can...

1. No longer copy text from the comments that are made to paste into my document. This is troublesome because I am generally laying out curriculum that has been written and there is constant text edits being made during our review process, so I was…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. New frame created when pasting text in InDesign

Pasting single or multiple words into a table creates a brand new frame which floats on top of the existing one. This bug affects text copied from another section of the InDesign document as well as many text elements (single words or sentences) copied from MSWord.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Find/Change crashes InDesign

InDesign crashes immediately when attempting to search for words within my established file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. wrong hyphenation Dutch

Indesign gives a wrong hyphenation for some Dutch words:
    beetje > bétje
    weetje > wétje
    poot > potje

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. eyedropper tool

Since 19.4 the eyedropper tool doesn't work as it should for at least picking up a character style and 'paste' its character style onto one or more words. This is when no text is selected.
    When text IS selected, I can pick up a character style from some text that is styled like I want it to, and 'paste' it onto one or more other consecutive words, but not for a second time onto some other (string of) words. So only once useful. Which makes it unusable for this purpose.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Perplexed translation – Czech version of InDesign CC

Hello, please correct Czech UI of InDesign CC - InDesign preferences, Text panel, first line:

InDesign CS6: "Používat typografické uvozovky" (it is correct, it means "Use typographic quotation marks", the grammar form is consistent with UI)

InDesign CC2020: "Použijte Typographer’s & Quotes" (it means nothing, it is a mixture of Czech and English words, the grammar form is not consistent with UI because it is using the imperative form instead of the infinitive). The closest translation to English would be "Use typografovy a uvozovky!"

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2022(v17.0.0.96). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Arabic diacritic positions corrupted when inserting footnote reference or Index page reference

Indesign version: Last versions and older versions
    Steps to reproduce: Add footnote reference or Index page reference, some words in the same line will have dots and diacritics positioned wrongly.
    Expected result: Text should be the same before and after Reference insertions.
    Actual result: Diacritics and dots of some words in the same line gets repositioned wrongly.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Outdated "Dutch 2005 reform" dictionary

Some words where marked as incorrect, that where definitely correct. I had to update the Hunspell dictionary myself to get it working.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Balance Columns leads to severe performance issues

Whenever I have longer text documents with multiple columns I want to use "Balance Columns" to make it, well, better.

However, whenever I start using Balance Columns in my documents I always run into severe performance issues.

Example: Right now I have a document of ~100 pages (one text flow). I have not enabled "Balance Columns" on all pages due to performance (and the fact that another bug prevents you from doing this from the master page), so I have manually enabled it on a page-by-page basis for pages I feel need it (I'd much rather just turn it on…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Wrong font case in TOC when using character style with upper case

When generating table of contents it fetches the text and ignores paragraph styles, but character styles are left. This must be a misstake.

I want TOC to be title case and chapter headings to be upper case that is set in a paragraph style. So far so good. But I am adjusting minor words (and, at, etc) with a character style. And for those words the upper case setting also shows in TOC.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Autoflow Text is Crashing InDesign

Autoflow text is crashing InDesign. The progress bar gets to about 90% and then it crashes.

The text document is about 50,000 words, so it's nothing unusual.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Major lagging/hanging when typing text and selecting objects

InDesign 14.0.1; Windows 10

I was experiencing some major lag when typing text, up to 30 seconds. Even when text started to appear, words would appear only one letter at a time with significant delay in between. The problem then expanded to selecting and moving objects around on a page. InDesign for me has been unusable for the past few hours (Jan. 25, 2019 from 1:30 - 4:30pm EST). I even tried reverting back to version 14.0 and had no luck. Rebooted several times. I then went into my system restore and saw that earlier today a Microsoft Visual…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base