Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6469 results found

1. convert

Click "convert" to open this document..... doesn't do anything!!

The error message then tells you "You are not currently signed in to the
    CC (which I already am). Please go to Help- > Sign In and enter your Adobe ID. Restart InDesign, then try opening the document again."

Performing this action does nothing, the error never goes away, you just go in circles.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Master pages not updating through book synchronize feature

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: 14.0.1 x 64
    2. Steps to reproduce the issues: a. Make changes to master page in document. b. Using flyout menu in book document, change Synchronize options to synchronize master pages c. Select synchronize from that menu option or highlight documents and choose the synchronize icon at bottom of book panel
    3. Expected result: Master pages will update to match the master pages of the Style Source document
    4. Actual result: Some master page elements are updated correctly, but others are not.
      Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
    9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. High Quality Display Not working

I have used INDD for about 15 years. Very experienced. but just upgraded it to CC2019 along with Mac OS Mojave 10.14.1. I can no longer see images in high quality (since the upgrades). I have triple checked everything. (image res, all INDD settings etc..) Is this a known issue?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. existing file size won't change > InDesign CC 2019

Today I noticed that if I use an existing file > save as new file name > then change document set up (size) the document says it's the correct size but it is not!

After creating a PDF, I checked the file data and the size was not correct! Did this 7-8 times to make sure it wasn't a user error. Being that I do 100's of print ads a month, this is a HUGE issue.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

5. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. English:UK spelling currently not picking up US spellings 'ize', 'izing'

InDesign is not currently detecting US spellings that use 'ize' in text that is set as 'English: UK'. (example 'organize'). We have checked to make sure there are no local overrides, such as paragraph or character styles set to 'English: USA' (there aren't), and that the undetected spelling has not been added to the custom dictionary (they haven't been). Failure to pick up 'ize' spellings is a departure from previous behaviour and is quite problematic for our workflow. Other US English spellings (such as 'behavior') are being detected.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Page Margins Bug

I am having a bug/issue with margins. In the page setup and the properties dialogues the measurements are showing as the defaults, but clearly they have been changed as noted in the attached file. This file was created in an earlier version of INDD.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The Document Setup shows the Margins of the document when it was created or margins that will be assigned to any new pages you add to the document. However, you can override margins of individual pages by using the Margins and Columns dialog. And this is what has been done for the Page – the Top and Outside margins have been set to 25mm and 45mm respectively (changed from their default setting of 12.7mm).
    Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

8. InDesign 14.1

Opening InDesign just by itself makes it freeze completely. Ball of death (on Mac) .
    It asks me if I want to start automatic recovery however I can't click on any of the options because the ball of death doesn't let me. The window with the recovery message consequently shows up on top of any other screen.

I could make InDesign work ONCE yesterday after restarting and today it completely crashes again. Unfortunately it also means one of my files is now stuck 'open' which is untimely.
    This is the latest verstion both of InDesign as well as Mac OS.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

9. numbers being added to end of toc

Bug issue: about midway through my toc headings, the page headers are getting the page number plus 20 added to the end of it. See screenshots. I've replaced the text, removed and reapplied styling. You'd think it'd apply to the whole group, but it's just this section. Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Unable to Import PDF Comments from Acrobat 2019 Shared Review

PDFs with shared Reviews running off the Adobe Document Cloud are not able to import comments into InDesign.

Since Acrobat 2019, we are no longer able to use our own review server. There's now a big blue button to share the review using the Adobe Document Cloud. While this simplifies using Shared Reviews, the review PDF is now hosted and maintained by Adobe. Then, there is no longer a way to import the comments into InDesign.

To import a PDF's Shared Review Comments, InDesign requires access to the copy of the PDF containing the comments. With Acrobat 2019, this copy…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Проблема с текстовым фреймом и редактированием текста внутри него

Проблема с текстовым фреймом и редактированием текста внутри него на рабочей области. Один и тот же текст выглядит в рабочей области и вне рабочей по разному. В рабочей области невозможно редактировать текст. (((

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Anchored Textframes with Auto adjusting height within a Textfreame

1. CC 2018 – 13.1 (Can't update to CC 2019 right now because of Plugins)
    2. Create a big "master" Text frame
    3. Create 2 more text frames that auto adjust in height and fill them with lorem ipsum or any text.
    4. Paste those two text frames into the first created "master" Text frame
    5. Change the Text in the first Text frame (Add some empty lines or remove text) and see InDesign fail to update.
    6. Expected result: Should be pretty obvious... InDesign should not fail to update the current view.
    7. Actual Result: All Textframes are misaligned because InDesign does not update correctly – If…
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. tiff transparency

Transparency of TIFF files does not work in InDesgin. The same files worked well in Windows, Photoshop. I have to get around by batch transform TIFFs into PNGs in order to save the transparency. Please fix it.

The attachment is one of my TIFF files that doesn't work with InDesign only.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. InDesign CC1019 - Import function of PDF comments on graphics are incorrect

Step 1: Export PDF x4 from ID 14.0.1
    Step 2: Correction of the PDF file with Acrobat DC 2019.008.20080
    Step 3: Import PDF comments into ID file from before (ID 14.0.1)

Comments within graphics are not clearly assignable after import in InDesign.

In Acrobat or Acrobat Reader, the corrections are displayed correctly

If in PDF text corrections to graphics are marked with the PDF correction function, they will not be displayed completly when importing to InDesign. Or these are displayed in the wrong position.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. GREP "Any Double Quotation Marks" wildcard not working as expected

Version: CC (14.0.1.209)

While using InDesign's Find/Change GREP feature:

The following GREP query wont find the matching string even if it exists in the document: (Any White Space) followed by (Any Double Quotation Marks) followed by (Any Uppercase Letter)

\s"[A-Z]

This should find any white space followed by any double quotation mark followed by any uppercase letter, however it shows no match.

The following GREP searches will work, but when combined they do not work:

\s" will find the white space and the double quotation mark

"[A-Z] will find the double quotation mark and any uppercase letter

It seems to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. CC19 14.0.1 ISSUES

Running Indesign CC2019 14.0.1 on a MACBOOK PRO running Mojave - currently having a number of unexpected outcomes - spacebar unable to use to navigate page - SHIFT unable to proportion constrain and ALT unable to drag copy items.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Crash on using Align Distribute option

Help!! I used to be able to get the page tool, highlight multiple pages across a spread in the pages palette, then set the space between pages in the toolbar and use the distribute button to get even spacing between pages. Since updating to InDesign 2019 (v14.0.1), the “use spacing” measurement field never completely shows in the info bar, and every time I hit the “distribute horizontal” button, InDesign IMMEDIATELY crashes. I am using MacOS 10.13.6. Please help, I use this feature A LOT.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

18. Paragraph-style grep functions are unreliable

inDesign paragraph-style grep functions are unreliable. I have two examples with differing issues in a monthly publication.

The first is a query for web addresses and emails based on common TLDs. I have used it for years.
    \b\S+(.com|.org|.gov|.edu|.net|.UK|.ca|.uk|.ly)((\s)|[^>])\;:\s(.\s)(\,\s)]+)

In the same document, on the same text, the style change query works, and then doesn't work in another paragraph style. To make it more confusing, if I remove the pathname variables it will then work. If I past the variables back in, it will still work.

Even simple match queries will need to be edited into different syntax to work from…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. benjamin.schenk

Content-Aware Fit-Problem with INDD CC2019, 14.0.1
    I had images to link again after receiving a layout from a customer. In some cases, I had massive changes, different sections of images, with the new option activated. I'm not shure about the reason, but if I don't activate the automatic fit, the picture sections are correct in the same layout with the same images.

All the best
    Benjamin

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. text wrap issues

Having text wrap issues. I tell the box to ignore text wrap but it seems to still be affected by text wrapping from other objects. OS10.14.1. InDesign14.0

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base