Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6498 results found

1. Character Panel/Properties Panel font display font not correct for GREP-Styles

Indesign CC 14.0.1, x64

IF a GREP-style is at work formatting found text-style-ranges, then the font style dropdown in character panel/properties panel/control panel, may not correctly reflect the font in a selection . Please see screenshot attached.

In the screenshot, a paragraph format grep style has applied a character style "bold" to the word "Foto:" and "Text:". The user has selected the characters OT from the word "Foto:" as an example. The character panel font style should say "Bold", ... as you can see "Light caps" is NOT correct.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Indesign CC 2018 (oct): display of frame borders offset by 1 pixel

Indesign CC 14.0.1 x64, german

put a pageitems' left border exactly on X=0, aligning the item to the left side of a right page on facing pages... see screenshot...

Frame border is displayed offset by 1 pixel.

This does not apply to right aligned items on left pages. Here the frame border is displayed fine.

It's minor ... but ugly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. bug

Socorro!
    Isso começou a acontecer recentemente.
    Podem corrigir?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

4. InDesign crashes

InDesign 14.0.1 MacOS Mojave

Program crashes every time I open it, with any file. It tried to recover the last file it opened but nothing works.

Tried: erasing prefs, cache, dumped the Recovery files, Uninstall, Reinstall. Still having the same issue. This is happening on two of my Computers at work.
    Tried the same solutions on both computers and still having the same crash issues.

PS: Program was working OK yesterday, 1-8-2019.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. With Adjust Layout ON, Text Frames shrink to extremely tiny size on changing Margins.

I am working in Adobe InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1. When I have a manuscript already flowed into my document and try to adjust the margins on the master page with Adjust Layout enabled, when the new margins are applied to the document, all the existing text boxes "disappear." From what I can tell, they have been resized down to an infinitely small point in the middle of the spread. Obviously, this is not useful. I used to be able to adjust the margins across an entire book-length document in one go with layout adjustment, and the text on every page…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

6. keyboard shortcut CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-Enter reverted on restart. Num . and Num enter not working.

Indesign 14.0.1. x64, german, german keyboard layout

I try to delete the shortcuts for
    - Windows > Interactive: EPUB-Interactive-Preview
    - Panels > EPUB-Interactive-Preview: Documentpreview
    - Panels > EPUB-Interactive-Preview: Spread preview

and i try to reassigne these shortcuts "CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-Enter" and "ALT-SHIFT-ENTER" etc. to other functions. I save my custom keyboard shortcuts and it works for this session. But everytime i restart Indesign they are revcerted to the EPUB-functions.

ALSO the numpad keys "," and "enter" are no longer differentiated from the normal "," and "enter" keys and are thus not working. Back in Indesign CS6 the numpad keys were labeled "Num…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Indesign CC2019 14.0.1 - Some panels collapsed after restart

Indesign 14.0.1 x64, german, Windows8

I have "Character", "Paragraph|Stories|Attributes", "Layers", "Color"-Panels docked to the left side of Indesign on Screen 1. I also have several other panels stacked but freefloating on a second screen. No panel is ever minimized. No panel is ever collapsed in my setup. I always have them expanded and open. This is my standart workspace. After closing Indesign and starting it, sometimes it collapes the left-docked panels. The freefloating panels on screen2 remain ok.

In settings "auto-minimize panels" is OFF.
    "Auto show panels" is checked "ON".

Please see screenshot attached.

Expected behaviour is - of course…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Indesign CC2019 (oct) - "Do you want to save changes to "-/*TempScratchDocument*/-" on close

Indesign 14.0.1 x64, german, Windows8 as "Admin"

On closing Indesign with its "×" button, a dialog popped up asking:

Do i wanna save changes to "-/TempScratchDocument/-", Yes | No | Cancel.

This is the first time i have this error. I can not recreate it. Prior to the error i did: made some changes to an open documents spellchecking and hyphenisation settings. I also edited a paragraph format in the doc to use Duden instead of Proximity as Spellchecking/Hyphenisation. I let it re-calculate the flow of the document and saved the document. I closed the doc ument and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. No keyboard focus on launch

InDesign 14.0.1.209, macOS Mojave 10.14.2

When launched and the following conditions hold, InDesign does not seem to have keyboard focus (i.e.., no keyboard shortcuts work):

1. Show ‘Start’ Workspace When No Documents Are Open is unticked.
    2. The Control bar is open in the default workspace.
    3. The CC Libraries panel is either not in the default workspace or collapsed.

Note that conditions 2 and 3 are met by several of the standard workspace, for example both Advanced and Typography (but not Book, Essentials or Essentials Classic).

If you choose a menu item or click in an input field, the app gains keyboard…

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. InDesign CC2019 - faux bold text issue when exporting pdf.

Only the pages with text+jpg are exported properly.
    The pages with any other image type with some transparency, i.e. psd, ai, even png, have bold text after exporting to pdf.

It's an old issue, coming back every now and then in many InDesign editions in the past. So we all should know how to deal with it, shouldn't we? Well, here is the rub. The trick with the text placed on a separate layer on the top doesn't work anymore. Nothing works, actually. It's a major bug. A reason to downgrade to the last correct version. I needed to export…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Turning facing pages back on makes first Master page a spread

This is a new issue that did not exist before: 1. I have a facing-page document with single Master pages (one for the left and one for the right). see "step-1.jpg"
    2. I turn off facing pages. see "step-2.jpg" 3. I turn on facing pages again and it automatically turns the first Master page into a spread (which in-turn alters the layout of the entire document). see "step-3.jpg" How do I fix this so that re-checking facing pages keeps that Master pages as singles?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

12. Stalling

Hi My Id is stalling both in opening, archiving and packing mode, after updating to Id CC 2019 14.0.1, working on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.2. The spinning ball continues.....

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Gradient Angle Resets to Default when Changing Color in Gradient Swatch

I have an object selected that has a gradient swatch applied to it, and the gradient goes from top to bottom. I then go to the color menu and double-click the gradient swatch. Now when I click on one of the two color squares in the gradient swatch the angle of the gradient on the selected object will revert back to its default angle (left to right). This only happens to objects that I have selected. Both on my macbook and windows pc. InDesign version 14.0.1

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Unable to open menus in Control Panel

We are unable to open the menu in the Control Panel in the current InDesign (different Windows 10 machines). InDesign 14.0.1.209, please see screenshot attached.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. shortcuts, backspace, arrows left right up down stopped working

InDesign 14.0.1 x64 (PC) Keyboard shortcuts, text backspace, arrows left-right-up -down stopped working

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Adobe Fonts wont load

Hello,

While creating a document I was trying to discover a new font. I clicked Fonts > Find More and where a list of adobe fonts usually pops up, I got nothing. I tried creating a new text box, signing in and out of adobe, and closing / opening the document.

Attached please find a screen grab of the issue.

I'd love an assist if possible.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Converting footnotes to endnotes ignores some endnote-settings

Indesign CC 2019 (oct)

When converting footnotes to endnotes the endnotes-settings for creating them at the end of story or in a place gun are ignored. Endnotes from converted footnotes are always placed in a new frame at the end of document.

Expected behaviour: Converted footnotes should appear in the place gun if the endnote-setting says so.

(Sidenote/Opinion: letting indesign insert a single page seems like a workaround - as this might reflow a large document and also totally jumble up the page composition. I know that ID has become way more clever in dealing with odd/even switching of pages…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Strange characters appear when pasting any text from anywhere

I have InDesign CC2019 - Whenever I paste from any program (Word, Outlook, Notepad) into InDesign there is an odd boxed character with an X anywhere there was a line ending in the original. There are no soft returns or hard returns or anything in the originals it just word wrapped in a spot - and InDesign inserts a character which I cannot search for or replace.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Indesign Crashes Every time I Attempt to Change the Font With Arrow Keys

This just started happening this week. Every time I highlight my text, click on the font box, and attempt to cycle through fonts with my up and down arrow keys, Indesign freezes until I have to force it to quit.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Pasting objects from Illustrator extremelly slow

Pasting objects from Illustrator is extremelly slow for me. It takes up to 10 seconds. The issue only occurs in direction. Copying graphics from Photoshop or Powerpoint to Indesign does not produce this issue. Copy paste from Indesign to Illustrator also has no issue. I have reinstal both the latest Illustrator and Indesign CC. See the video and my system performance. Clipboard settings are set to what worked recommended and what worked for me fine on a slower machine before.

Thank you for help

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base