Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6466 results found

1. pdf comment

PDF comments are made in an export from a book document from InDesign 2019.
    When importing the comments in the different InDesign files from the book, the comments from the previous book files appear somewhere between the comments of the current book file and are not marked as unmapped comments.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Drop-down menu options not highlighting

Visual feedback of selected item works when moving down through list using Down Arrow Key. Visual feedback does not work when moving back up through the list using Up Arrow Key. It will select the correct item, it just doesn't show that the correct item is currently highlighted.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

3. Is it safe now to reinstall 2019 Indesign to 14.0.1 as I had to reinstall 2018 again.

Is it safe now to reinstall 2019 Indesign to 14.0.1 as I had to reinstall 2018 again.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. shift doesn't work at all

I updated the version yesterday.... shift doesn't work any more!

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while; we really appreciate your support!

Our investigation suggests that one of common reasons for the problem is that certain software (mostly antivirus and other security applications) and browser extensions happen to enable “Secure Keyboard Entry” on Mac machines due to which some keys such as Shift key in this case do not perform the desired action in InDesign.

For now I request you to follow the below provided KB doc for the quick workaround of the problem.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/features-do-not-work-keyboard-keys-mac.html

In the comments section many of the users have confirmed that disabling Webroot SecureAnywhere (a security app) has resolved the issue for them. Please note that, the problem may not be related to a particular software; there could be a different application or antivirus which might be causing the problem by enabling Secure Keyboard Entry on Mac.

-
    Sanyam Talwar
    InDesign Team

5. Word dividing

Indesign 14.0.1
    Indesing is not able to divide word which is including "(" or ")".

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. eyedropper not working correctly

That's version 14.0.1.209

When I create a NEW document — there is no problem, the eyedropper working correctly.
    BUT...
    When I work in a document that was previously in an earlier version (for example, CC 2018), then this problem is present.

If I CREATE a new text box in a document that has been re-saved from an earlier version (IC 2018), then the eyedropper will not work correctly.

If I CREATE a new text box in a NEW document (CCP 2019), and then transfer it to an old document, then the eyedropper in the new box will not work.

If…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Indesign: After ok QR generation, danish letters gets replaced with symbols when the code is scanned afterwards

Fix the bug so that the danish letters æ.ø.å also can be transferred to vCard (business card) unchanged when the vCard generated in the Indesign QRcode generator gets scanned.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Fermeture du logiciel INDESIGN avec l'outil Ligne

Crash with the lign tool and arrow
    Indesign 14.0.1

steps to reproduce the issues :
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15ccJfKeoi1dw3gDSCZ-jcjhNdT9qPkkm?usp=sharing

best regards,

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Packaging files problem with CS6 and High Sierra 10.13.6

I am using CS6 and since upgrading to High Sierra 10.13.6 I can't package files. Error message 'Cannot copy necessary linked file(s). There are 250 linked images I need to package. Please can you tell me what I need to do to fix it?
    Many thanks. Tony

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. EXPORT OPTIONS GREYED OUT

HI
    when trying to export from the recent indesign the options that i normally use are greyed out. see attached sceenshot, i have tried this on another computer and all seems fine, both are running mojave and indesign 2019

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. white overprint with placed INDD

I stumbled across a strange phenomenon today. I have an INDD file (file 1), which is placed as such in another INDD file (file 2). In this file 1 there is a Swiss cross, which is placed as EPS. If this placed file 1 is exported as PDFX-4, everything looks correct. However, if the file 2 with the placed file 1 is exported as PDFX-4, something strange happens. The Swiss cross disappears in the PDF or the white is set to overprint. However, this is neither stored in file 1 nor in the EPS.

I have the following
    Option 1:…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Footnotes flows on the following page even if there is still space on the page where is the reference number

Indesign CC 14.0.1
    MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.6

unfortunately it happens very often that the text of the footnotes flows on the following page even if there is still space (several lines) on the page where is the footnote’s reference number.
    for this bug, the result of many jobs is very bad

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Cannot delete blue/teal guides

Have no problem creating guides but cannot get rid of them once they are in place. I've tried every suggestion I could find on the internet in addition to restarting my computer, updating the software, etc etc etc and nothing will work.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Go back to old method of "space after" paragraphs

I'm fine with the concept of allowing users to adjust the "spacing between paragraphs using same style." But the way this feature was added doesn't make sense: I think you should have left the old "space after" system the way it was, and allowed users to add the "spacing between paragraphs using same style" box as an extra option. The way you set it up (unless I'm misunderstanding something), anyone wanting to put spacing between paragraphs now has to enter data into two boxes, whether they want certain sections to have custom spacing or not. It makes the "spacing between…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. space before/after paragraph is suddenly not working

when i try to add space before or after a paragraph, it shows up in the tools panel and in style sheets as being there, but it is not reflected in the actual text.

indesign cc 14.0.1

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In your example, the paragraph ‘Introduction: My Life…’ and ‘Update’ use the same Paragraph Style and the setting ‘Space Between Paragraphs Using Same Style’ is set to 0p0. That’s why the Space After setting of 1p4 is having no effect.
    To make it to work, change the ‘Space Between…’ back to its default setting of ‘Ignore’.
    Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

16. Crash when searching for column break

Indesign 2018 crashes when searching for column break (~M) – with Find/Change dialog box or via script. It works for me with CC 2017. Not yet tested with CC2019.

The document with 500 pages was newly created with CC2018. It was tested with several computers, always with the same result.

Example document can be downloaded here: https://adobe.ly/2SGVPsy.

Happens in CS6, CC 2019 as well.

Find/Change for Column Break in GREP tab of Find/Change crashes InDesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-Aman

17. Arabic

Using Adobe Arabic font, and paragraph set to Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer, when I copy in Arabic with a period at the end of the sentence, InDesign is interpreting the period as Roman/English text and placing it to the far right of the sentence, instead of at the end of the sentence (far left).

This is new since I last worked in these files in March of this year.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. convert

Click "convert" to open this document..... doesn't do anything!!

The error message then tells you "You are not currently signed in to the
    CC (which I already am). Please go to Help- > Sign In and enter your Adobe ID. Restart InDesign, then try opening the document again."

Performing this action does nothing, the error never goes away, you just go in circles.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Master pages not updating through book synchronize feature

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: 14.0.1 x 64
    2. Steps to reproduce the issues: a. Make changes to master page in document. b. Using flyout menu in book document, change Synchronize options to synchronize master pages c. Select synchronize from that menu option or highlight documents and choose the synchronize icon at bottom of book panel
    3. Expected result: Master pages will update to match the master pages of the Style Source document
    4. Actual result: Some master page elements are updated correctly, but others are not.
      Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
    9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. High Quality Display Not working

I have used INDD for about 15 years. Very experienced. but just upgraded it to CC2019 along with Mac OS Mojave 10.14.1. I can no longer see images in high quality (since the upgrades). I have triple checked everything. (image res, all INDD settings etc..) Is this a known issue?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base