Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. can't open file with COMMAND + O

INDD v 14.0
    using MAC OS 10.14.2
    when I try to open file using command+o it won't do anything. I can open file by going to FILE + OPEN
    so not a huge deal but VERY annoying to me who uses keyboard commands for most of my work. doesn't seem logical

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Table of Contents - Allow master page items

To my knowledge, master page items still don't populate the Table of Contents in Indesign without overriding the master page item.

Problem with this is it defeats the purpose of the master page item.

For instance, I have a large manual, in which the chapters are included in a master page layout. The text in the master page item is auto generated using the Special Character - Marker - Section Marker feature, so all I have to do is start a new section in my document.

But the TOC will not take that text from the master page, unless I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Issue with Scrolling in Properties Panel

When scrolling in properties, as soon as the cursor lands on a drop down menu the values start to change. THIS MAKES IT UNBELIEVABLY PAINFUL TO WORK.

I want to scroll the panel without changing any values accidentally. I should not have worry about placing my cursor on a few pixels wide of empty area to scroll without any issues!

If it is possible to turn of this feature please help. Otherwise this is a very annoying bug.

In short, scrolling only works without issues only on the limited area around the panels.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Milagros

Hola! estoy creando un catalogo en el cual las fotos no se me vinculan y quiero saber como se arregla o que apretar para que se vicnculen

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  InDesign Server (IDS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. -100% shows up as blank cell

When you import a table into InDesign, if you have -100% in a cell it will show up as a blank cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Adding htmlItem then closing document crashes inDesign on Mac

We are developping a plugin for inDesign and while testing a new feature on a Mac we noticed that sometimes InDesign was crashing. We managed to reproduce this bug in a very simple indesign script that make inDesign crash 100% of the time and I'm looking for a way to get around this inDesign bug.

The crash occurs when we programatically add an htmlItem to a pageItem then close the document too quicky, It's only on Mac, doing that on windows works perfectly. The crash error seems to be a memory usage problem on inDesign's side.

Here is the script…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Adding htmlItem then closing document crashes inDesign on Mac

We are developping a plugin for inDesign and while testing a new feature on a Mac we noticed that sometimes InDesign was crashing. We managed to reproduce this bug in a very simple indesign script that make inDesign crash 100% of the time and I'm looking for a way to get around this inDesign bug.

The crash occurs when we programatically add an htmlItem to a pageItem then close the document too quicky, It's only on Mac, doing that on windows works perfectly. The crash error seems to be a memory usage problem on inDesign's side.

Here is the script…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Can't press 'Done' in Adobe Comp after adding columns and guides

If I go to settings, add guides, I will not be able to get out of the settings as the done button does not work

Worked with support and they are saying it is not a bug, but offered no further steps other than posting here

Case ADB-7060282-R3X8

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. master page

this is a bug, not a suggestion of new feature. On a page with Master Page A applied, the feature in Master Page A is detectable , pickable, and get union with object added to the page (e.g. a picture become embedded in the master page black rectangle )

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. InDesign leading changes not applying

Whenever I change the leading (line spacing) under Character styles, the document won't accept the changes. I tried saving, quitting the program, and reopening, but the problem persists. Doesn't matter whether I apply the style to a single line or multiple lines.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. SWF export showing blank page

I have tried to export a 673 pages Indesign file into a SWF file, unfortunately after exporting its showing a blank page. nothing working like the interactivity, page curl etc. Also I need to export it into a Interactive PDF how to do that.. Please help.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Removing blank lines from Data Merge resets the paragraph style of the blank line to the style directly above it

This is version 14.0.2 of InDesign for the mac

For example, in a business card, some employees have a direct and mobile phone number, some employees only have a direct phone number. If there is a "Direct" paragraph style and a "Mobile" paragraph style, on a record where there isn't a Mobile number, after previewing the next record with both numbers the "Direct" paragraph style is now applied to the Mobile number.

The data merge should retain the paragraph styles based on the placeholders, not the previewed data.

Images I have attached:
    1: placeholder view showing Direct style
    2: placeholder…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Disappearing footnotes on export

Since updating to the latest major release of InDesign (14), we have been experiencing issues in one of our templates where footnotes have been disappearing from chapters (documents) in a Book when exporting the Book as a PDF.

This was not an issue in previous versions of InDesign and the template has not changed.

Is this perhaps a bug?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. "paragraph style options" window size

Paragraph Style Options window opens bigger than my screen (regardless of the size screen I'm working on) and there is no way to resize the window or set the default size of the window? In order to work with Paragraph Styles, I am constantly having to move the window around so I can see all the options there, then move it again to see the preview in my document.

WHY CAN'T WE RESIZE THIS WINDOW? There's no reason it needs to be this large; most of the space is blank.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. missing fonts

CC 2019 - MISSING FONT MESSAGE OPENING FILES

InDesign files opened on pc's after upgrading to Windows ver1809 cannot load fonts - upon opening file, missing fonts error with option to substitute fonts. The same files will open correctly on Windows ver1803 pc's. These results can be duplicated on multiple pc's.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. windows 10 - paste number from clipboard history into X/Y-object coordinates

How to repeat the issue:

0. Activate Clipboard history in windows settings (win 10)
    1. Copy a random number to your clipboard (my testnumber "-2,375")
    2. Create a new document and place a rectangle (or random object) on your page
    3. Select the object and click (focus) in the field for the y-coordinates
    4. hit "windows+V" to open your clipboard history (must be activated in the settings)
    5. Click on your previous copied number.

6-Bug. The number has been pasted two times in the y-coordinates field.

Test system:
    - Win 10 pro (1809)
    - current Indesign CC version (how to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. My indesign is unable to save, save as, undo, or redo.

I cannot close indesign because it will not save my work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  InDesign Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. InDesign files from CC to CS6 - hypenation won't work anymore

In advance:
    - Our external writers send us InDesign CC files (idml and indd)
    - We open and save them in InDesign CS6
    - Our customers use InDesign CS6

1. Version:
    InDesign CS6 8.0
    InDesign CC from 12.0 to 14.0.2 (others not tested)

2. Steps:
    Since when: between 10 and 17. April 2019 (last time it worked on 10. April 2019)

2.a Open InDesign CC (any version, i tested 12.0, 13.1, 14.0.1 and 14.0.2)
    2.b Save a file with activated hypenation (either indd or idml, both tested)
    2.c Open either one of 2.b. in CS6

3. Expected result:
    Hypenation works…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Mp4 not work at "Place from URL" Option

I have place mp4 files from "Place from URL" option in the document and its place nicely when I have prepared epub and publish online then doc display empty page after discussion with adobe they told me that mp4 not compatible, so i have to convert video in FLV extension then it will work, which is impossible for me. MP4 is most useful extension and Adobe need to solve this and make mp4 compatible for it.

Keep in Mind when we place from "Place from URL" Not direct placing of MP4 file, "Place form URL" Option.

Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. InDesign CC 2019 No search results when trying to place a file

When I try to place a file in InDesign CC 2019 (or ANY CC 2019 app) and I enter text in the search box to find my file it defaults to "my Mac" instead of the folder I want it to search. Then when I select the folder I want to search it yields no results even though I KNOW there is a file there containing that word in the name. The folder I want it to search is on a remote server. I have tried to reindex the remote server in Spotlight (by adding it to the privacy tab…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base