How can we improve InDesign?

Make InDesign be able to import/Export comments from/to PDF

I want to be able to get the comments from PDF into InDesign so that I can easily incorporate/respond on the comments from people.

77 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jesper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

57 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rich Coda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me, for this to work, it would HAVE to be able to work from the back to the front. My clients, OK, OK... ONE particular client ALWAYS makes layout busting changes. I work with a single threaded text box as much as possible... working on a 48 page job right now. She ads just one small word, sometimes even just a character, or breaks a paragraph into two, and it screws EVERYTHING after that. Even after 15 years with this client, I try to explain to her that text is like a river... throw a pebble into it upstream and it will ripple downstream. And, of course, she constantly moves things (graphics) to different pages, which of course, 100% of the time messes everything up. So, I learned a long time ago (even before annotations in Acrobat were functional, even before Acrobat... like in "faxed in changes") to work with her files from the back. Do all the text changes first so we are "on the same page" so to speak, and then deal with the layout busters.

• Raphaël Freeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Three requests:
        1. Please make sure it works when optical margin alignment is on.
        2. Please make sure it works with the Adobe World Composer.
        3. Please make sure it can handle large documents (most of my work is on documents that are between 200–600 pages of text often with many pictures and Annotations is very slow with large documents)

I currently use Annotations which has saved me literally 1000s of hours of work but it doesn’t work with the World Composer and has errors when corrections are made to hanging punctuation at the end of a line.

I would be willing to beta test this since I spend several hours every day on corrections.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Abhinav,
        I would like to ask how it looks? When we can expect function - Import comments PDF to Indesign?

Thanks

• Georg Stadler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just read through the proposed specs. Looking great.
        I have a question though: Is there a way to approve or decline annotations. What I mean by this is, will I be able to just click a button to accept a proposed change and the change will be reflected in the ID-Document.
        Like in InCopy.
        Furthermore, what will happen if a change results in massive shift of text (i.e. inserting a paragraph in a book) will the other changes keep up with the new flow of text?

• Lindsey Thomas Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Abhinav, I think option 4 would generally work best. Option 2 might work as well; options 1 and 3 are not desirable. It is important to see the mark-up in situ. You might consider modifying option 4 or 2 so the mark-up fades a bit when the user begins to edit so one can see it is there but there will less danger of the point of editing being obscured.

This probably conflicts with the annotation coming into focus when overlapped by the cursor. I find Acrobat's method of bringing annotations into focus not easy to see. Fading might be a good alternative, though perhaps counterintuitive.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The proposed workflow looks great. I agree with Raja, hiding / showing the comments using scripting should be possible. This is very Important. Any suggestions on adding annotations and comments in Indesign ?

• Raja, Gejaraj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Abhinav, I prefer option #4, as users will ensure that all the comments are properly imported by cross-verifying the comments and hope we'll have an option thro' Scripting to block the PDF generation process when the user is forgetting to hide the comments and retaining in the layout.

Also please confirm whether users will have an option to show again the comments after hiding the comments?

• AdminAbhinav Agarwal (Product Manager, Adobe InDesign) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quick question:

As you can see in specs, there is an option to show all the comments on the Id layout. For example, text will be highlighted if reviewer had used the highlight tool. Similarly, for a drawing tool, corresponding drawing would be shown on layout.

Consider the scenario: comments are shown on layout and user wants to edit the document. What is the
        expectation in this scenario?

1) As soon as user starts to edit the document, all the comments hide automatically from layout (they will still be seen in the panel)
        2) As soon as user selects a page item, all the comments attached to that page items hide automatically. All other comments on the layout will remain visible
        3) Editing of document gets blocked until the time user hides all the comment on the layout
        4) All comments remain visible on layout while user is editing the document. User can hide comments manually if need be.

Which option you prefer and why? We want to ensure that editing is not obstructed in any way.

• AdminAbhinav Agarwal (Product Manager, Adobe InDesign) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Lindsey and Raja for your comments.

Answers to your queries:
        1) Regarding unidentified comments: these will be comments which InDesign can't map properly if Id document had been modified before importing the comments. If document was not modified, all comments would map properly

2) All imported comments will persist with the Id document. However, these comments will not be exported if Id document is exported as PDF

3) Maintaining history of review round is not possible.

4) XML functionality is not impacted with this feature. It will continue to work as before

• Steve Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This sounds really good and I'm keen to get using it as soon as it's available. For us, the workflow would work really well as once we've sent a proof to the customer, it's very rare that we'll keep working on the document.

The history feature someone suggested would be a great idea too.

This is moving very much in the right direction. I am eager to test.

[1] I don't understand the information about unidentified comments on page 9 of your demo.

[2] Very happy to see filtering by commenting tool used.

[3] Having to import to an unmodified document fits our workflow nicely but I can see difficulties in shops where the designers continue working on a publication while editorial proofs are with the authors.

Both [1] and [3] look as if they will increase the need for careful supervision of editors, designers and authors and create additional administrative overhead.

• Raja, Gejaraj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Abhinav, sounds good. And for your question on mapping comments incorrectly for the modified InDesign document, looks okay for me, also expecting same from all. I also have some questions, which are shared below:

(1) Whether we can generate the PDF after importing the PDF comments with the markings to verify our internal QCs that all the comments given by the Authors are incorporated well as like the option available in Blacklining Plug-in?
        (2) Whether it's possible to store the history of the comments imported in different rounds as like the option available in Blacklining Plug-in?
        (3) I believe it's not possible, still asking this question, whether XML related changes will be taken care after importing the comments especially the formatting related changes?

Please let me know, if you need clarifications on any of the above given details.

• Rhiannon Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Abhniav. When you say that the comments should be imported to the same InDesign document, will that still work if you import them into a copy of the document?

Also, can you confirm that the InDesign user will have a chance to inspect and approve e.g. additions and deletions before they are applied?

• Barb Binder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This all sounds like a good start, Abhinav, but what I don't see is a reference to connecting the traditional mark up tools (Add text, Delete text and Replace text tools) with track changes. Again, in FrameMaker, after importing the markup, we can accept or reject the changes. Is this under consideration?

I still want the ability to export notes to PDF but I'm happy to see you moving ahead with import. The proposed workflow sounds good to me but I'd like more information about what you consider to be 'the relevant portion of the layout' referenced by a comment and how that is to be highlighted.

• Sandee Cohen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More questions:

1) If a comment is resolved and archived, can I get a text file with all the comments, authors, etc?

2) When text from comment is pasted into document, will it take on the formatting, style, etc. of the paragraph it is going into? I really don't want to have to clean up text that comes in as Helvetica 18 in my Minion Pro 9 point paragraphs.

3) I'm confused by your last point. If I import comments, then as I work, the text reflows down, will the Comment panel show the original position of the comment? Or will it travel with the text to show the new position of the comment?

• Sandee Cohen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here are some questions:

1) How much is the text highlighted. For instance, if my editor uses the Insert Text at Cursor comment tool, and clicks between the words "endThe" and then types a period, at the moment only the period shows in the comment window. It won't help me know where that period is supposed to go if the only text that is highlighted is the inserted period. I don't know how to fix this, but a single highlighted period will not be useful.

2) Same thing as above with underline and strikethrough text comments. Highlighting a single strikethrough single quote in the text "'quote" isn't going to be easy to find.

3) Will text marked with the yellow highlight tool show that highlight? Many times that's the only way to tell how much the editor wants made bold, italic, etc.

4) What's going to happen if the PDF is circulated and some people respond to other's comments? Will I see that train of comments?

5) What happens to a sticky note that is sitting in whitespace with no text to highlight? What will get highlighted? How will I know what it is referring to?

6) How will you handle things like lines, arrows, and text callouts that point to specific things?

I know this has been a huge request for many years, but the feature feels like it is mostly for text edit comments. I have so many image-related comments that I'm going to end up working side by side with PDF and ID docs just like before.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base