Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6469 results found

1. Unable to scroll after zooming in.

Often times, after I have zoomed into a page, I lose the ability to scroll up and down through the page. This happens to both my scroll wheel and the hand tool. I have attached a video demonstrating it.

I'm on a macbook pro OS X

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Auto-sizing text frames not working

When I try to auto-size a text box in "Text Frame Options," nothing happens. I generally click on the text box, open the text frame options panel with command-B and click on the auto-size tab. Once inside that panel, I attempt to auto-size. Nothing is grayed out so it appears as if it would work, but when I click on "width only" (or any other option), nothing happens and it just stays on the original selection. And I can't seem to find a work around either.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. paragraph styles panel

InDesign CC
    Expected: Paragraph Styles Panel opens to a list of my styles
    Actual: Panel opens and the list cannot be seen until the panel is widened to 3x its normal size.

The panel appears to be split into two columns with the styles in the left column. When the panel is narrowered (ie normal size), the styles column collapses and the styles list cannot be seen. The only way to access the styles list is to enlarge the width of the panel to about 3x its normal size. Please see the attached image showing the action of the styles…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. preferences update

Preferences, templates, custom sizes, actions should be carried forward as standard. Having to reset everything every update is excruciating and a large waste of unnecessary time.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Index Entry Crash

Working in InDesign CC 2018. Revising a single chapter of 1300+ page book. InDesign CC 2018 crashes every time I try to create a new index entry. I've installed the BugFxes for Mac, deleted preferences, restarted machine, etc. Trying to create new index entry crashes each chapter even when working in each chapter individually. InDesign CC 2017 did not have this problem. Any assistance or suggestions are appreciated.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.1.2(v15.1.2.226) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Publish Online thumbnail navigation has disappeared

The cursor changes on hover and link works but the graphics are missing for forward and back.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Issue with images not showing when searching in InDesign

High Sierra InDesign 13.1 NAS File Server

When trying to search my artwork folder (called Color Art) for items containign the word "steak" on my NAS to place an image in InDesign it comes up as if it was empty. If I then leave InDesign and do a search the "steak" images appear. Not having this search function has been crippling to my dept. eating up all sorts of time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. dictionary

Dictionary does not use USA English. Settings are for USA but dictionary finds error in spelling of "labor" only accepting "labour"

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Variables not updating

1. InDesign CC 2018 (though I have experienced this same problem over several versions)
    2. Random bug, so I can't really say what steps are required
    3. Variables should update to the data referenced by the variable
    4. The word "Variable" is substituted for the data
    5. Screen shot attached.
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. mac crashes without warning

InDesign CC2018 13.0.1
    mac os High Sierra 10.13.2

My whole laptop restarts spontaneously when I perform a variety of random tasks in my 500 page book file in indesign, e.g. find & replace, opening the file…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Indesign not working with macOS High Sierra download

My Adobe InDesign is showing blank window and no tools after downloading macOS High Sierra. Help?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Font Weight Not Changing

In the Character panel often it is not possible to change a font weight from Regular to Bold for example. I have to go in the font menu and select the font specifically.

Also, in the character panel the menu to change weights does not change anymore when I select a different font. For example: Metropilis Black becomes Calibri Black (which does not exist).

Clearing caches and trashing preferences does not help.

Happens on different machines, Mac Pro at home and different iMacs at work / CC 2018 InDesign 13.01

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. When stepping an repeating

Not really a bug, but would make more sense to put the dimensions before the number to step or have it default to a blank palette every time. If the values exceed the page then it automatically converts it back to the previous numbers. While it's an easy fix, it is still frustrating. Still, indd by far one of my faves of all time. Very artist friendly!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. styles don't export to pdf tags

All my paragraph styles are set to automatic for export options. When I export to pdf 99.9% comes over as 'span' in the reading order structure, not what it is supposed to be.

There is the occasional H3 for some reason on some versions exported. Appears totally random. None on attached sample.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Changing Font Family on Bullet Options causes my computer to immediately crash and logout?

In the "Bullets and Numbering" section of the Paragraph Style Options, when I try to open the dropdown for Font Family, it seems to crash, and my computer acts like it logged out.

Screen goes black, then shows the user login screen. When I log in, it's like my computer was shut down unexpectedly. All other application windows reappear but have to reload, like it was shut down, not just logged out.

Why's this happenning?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. InDesign crashes when mounting/updating another InDesign document with overset text

InDesign Version: Adobe InDesign CC 13.0.1
    Operating System: macOS High Sierra version 10.13.2
    Computer: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Steps to reproduce the issue:
    1. Create a new document in InDesign with at least 3 pages.
    2. Make a textbox on one of the pages (e.g. page 1) and fill it with some text.
    3. Resize the textbox so that some text overset and preflight shows 1 error - overflowing text.
    4. Save and close the document
    5. Create a new InDesign document
    6. Place the InDesign file with the overflowing textbox in the new InDesign document (NOTE: You…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know if the issue is resolved for you in InDesign 14.0.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

19. graphics change when scrolling

1. Adobe InDesign 2018
    2. whenever I scroll through the spread the color fill in the graphics becomes distorted
    3. nothing should change
    4. all the fill colors in the text and graphics becomes distorted 5
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. [Indesign CC 2018][BUG] Indesign crashes when using script to remove table row

When using a javascript to remove a table row, Adobe Indesign crashes.
    This happens when a table has only 2 rows. The table contains a header row and your script tries to remove the only body row.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base