Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6504 results found

1. Error Message "you cannot reverse this change with the edit > undo command".

This comes up continuously. The only way you can dispose of it is by shutting the program down. Apparently I am not the only person, as it been reported before. See the Adobe forum the same problem - forums.adobe.com/thread/2292990

This makes it an official problem not exclusive to my experience.

Do we have fix???

David

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Keyboard bold shortcut uses wrong font weight

When I press Cmd+B to unbold Helvetica, it makes it UltraLight instead of regular. How weird! The old CS6 InDesign seemed to know what non-bold was better than the new font selector. Please take its information and make the new tool smarter. Thx

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Changes are not tracked when you copy and paste text from more than one cell into a table

1. This exists in all version of InDesign and InCopy.

2. To reproduce (see corresponding images):

a) Create a new document with a table filled with text and in InCopy set it to tr.ack changes.

b.) Copy the contents of at least two cells.

c.) Paste the contents into different cells.

d.) Initially these changes will be showed as tracked in story/galley view.

e.) When the document is saved and the reopened these changes are no longer tracked.

1. The expected result is that the changes should remain tracked after the document is saved and reopened.
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Changing case from caps to lowercase

The first letter of a new paragraph has automatically changed from caps to lower case after an A level heading in my document. It only relates to this heading levels and occurs in 85% of instances in a 90 page document. I have checked the Word file and cannot find an issue there. I have not been able to replicate the issue since it has been picked up in the proof reading process. I am using the current inDesign CC version and Adobe Typekit fonts.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. master override

Applied master pages (spread) to all pages which includes a table along page edges for navigation. On a normal page when I attempt to override by Ctrl+Shift click the edge table from the master element to override, Indesign hangs or crashes and prompts a crash report. Only happening on the left side page of the spreads for some reason???

The subsequent launch of the program also crashes, I assume because it attempts to resume. Using the recovered version will not launch either. Must remove recovery data.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the customer, the issue was specific to a document and rebuilding the master page items solved the issue.

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Delete page crashes InDesign and closes

I am using 2017.1 Release 12.1.0.56
    When I click to delete a page from my document, ID crashes. It is only happening on one particular file. I tried creating a duplicate copy, adding additional pages and deleting multiple pages and still is crashes.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Pages/spread overlapping after changing page size

InDesign 2018 CC 13.0.1

Pages and spreads are doing weird things when I resize my document. It creates some odd margin after resize of pages. I start out with 2 pages, document shuffling allowed, facing pages turned off.

Pagespread01112617 - shows the page spread I was working with; each page is 10”x12.25”.
    Page
    spread02112617 - after I changed the size to 10.68”x11.239” for another ad spread, a weird margin showed up. The content boxes show how there is an odd overlap; each box is 10.68" wide.
    Pagespread03_112617 - If I move page 2…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. gabarit

je ne peux plus changer le gabarit d'une page

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

10. Updating table of contents causes a previously placed graphic to be placed in the table of contents

Updating the table of contents causes InDesign to place a previously placed Illustrator file into the table of contents area. It also adds a new link in the document for this duplicated graphic.

I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell Precision 670 workstation with 32 Gb of ram and a few terrabytes of storage.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Specific circumstances where an RGB black cannot change to CMYK

To replicate this fault, please do the following:
    1) Create a new document using the web workspace.
    2) In the new document, open the swatches palette and note that the default colours show the RGB color spaces.
    3) From the Edit Menu, go to transparency blend space and change it from RGB to CMYK.
    4) Go to document setup and change the intent of the document from web to print.

What SHOULD happen:
    All colours in the swatches panel should go to CMYK;

What ACTUALLY happens:
    All colours in the swatches panel remain RGB. This results in an RGB black…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Problem with deleting placed pdf file

Indesign cc 13.1.076
    Question: Open indesign, open previously named and saved blank document, put multiple pdf documents on the desktop (link method), put two pages of pdf document into groups or not grouped into pages, flip pages Pdf document, print document. Press del to delete the pdf file. At this time, the indesign cc will crash. After the crash, restart indesign cc and repeat the operation. The probability of crash is much smaller.
    This problem has always existed since 13.0,

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

13. IDML custom page sizes

When using an INDD file with custom page sizes, IDML export does not keep Master Page and Document Pages aligned properly, because it registers them as different sizes.

Even if the pages are the same.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. InDesign application does not render correctly upon program launch in Windows 10

When launching InDesign in Windows 10, the window renders with missing icons, input boxes (eg: coordinates and size boxes) and backgrounds. When a new document is opened and it launches, random graphics from the document also are displayed.

Please see attached image for example. I am able to reproduce. Each time, the window must be moved or hovered over by mouse to fix.

This has been going on since upgrading from CS6 to CC from CC 2017 to CC 2018 (current) in Windows 10. Please let me know if you require details of my hardware or software specifications.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. footnote

Does InDesign plan to update its footnote options so that a single column text can have 2-column footnotes at the bottom?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. InCopy Assignments Updates Crash InDesign

I have an InDesign book file housing several InDesign files that are news page documents with InCopy assignments. When I open the .indd files from the .indb file and a story has been updated (update links dialogue) when I click on "update links" InDesign crashes. I've clicked "don't update links" and it doesn't crash. However, when I go to the page that needs updating and I click update in the assignments panel, InDesign crashes.
    This all happened before and after I reset my InDesign preferences.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. indesign cc2018 - IDML EXPORT INCORRECTLY

indesign cc2018 - IDML EXPORT INCORRECTLY
    Some paragraph and text format was changed

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Unable to scroll after zooming in.

Often times, after I have zoomed into a page, I lose the ability to scroll up and down through the page. This happens to both my scroll wheel and the hand tool. I have attached a video demonstrating it.

I'm on a macbook pro OS X

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Auto-sizing text frames not working

When I try to auto-size a text box in "Text Frame Options," nothing happens. I generally click on the text box, open the text frame options panel with command-B and click on the auto-size tab. Once inside that panel, I attempt to auto-size. Nothing is grayed out so it appears as if it would work, but when I click on "width only" (or any other option), nothing happens and it just stays on the original selection. And I can't seem to find a work around either.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. paragraph styles panel

InDesign CC
    Expected: Paragraph Styles Panel opens to a list of my styles
    Actual: Panel opens and the list cannot be seen until the panel is widened to 3x its normal size.

The panel appears to be split into two columns with the styles in the left column. When the panel is narrowered (ie normal size), the styles column collapses and the styles list cannot be seen. The only way to access the styles list is to enlarge the width of the panel to about 3x its normal size. Please see the attached image showing the action of the styles…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base