Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6504 results found

1. Table Eyedropper crash

Running High Sierra 10.13.2

InDesign version CC2018 13.1

Crashes when trying to select text within a table with the eyedropper tool, InDesign immediately crashes. This has been a problem for a couple of versions.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Cursor spins and text display lags while typing

ISSUE: While typing, text display will freeze/lag, and the cursor will change to a loading icon for about 2 seconds, then the text will finally appear all at once after the loading icon changes back to a regular cursor. This happens while typing in a regular text box.

EXPECTED RESULT: I expect text to appear on screen immediately as I press the key on the keyboard, not after a 2 second lag.

Version: InDesign CC 13.0 x64

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. INDESIGN KEEPS CRASHING

I’m working on an IMAC (late 2014) running OS 10.13.4.

I’m finding that this new version, as well as the one which preceded it, are very slow to process “saving” or “re-saving” files.

I have a feeling that the newest software is getting quite bloated with code: InDesign seems to get very confused if I work too quickly, ultimately resulting in my FORCE-QUITTING the program. The mouse just freezes and sometimes different tools seem to appear, as well as tooltips. This type of thing has never happened before, just with the NEWEST version.

I have much worry about files becoming…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. installing new fonts and indesign crashes

I am very afraid to install any new fonts honestly. Illustration and photoshop work just fine but InDesign crashes constantly because of fonts; it just freezes. would appreciate it if it gets fixed in an update.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Indesign doesn´t load printer configuration

When I try to print and go to printer preferences, InDesign does not load the preferences saved in the driver for printing modes, paper sizes, etc. It is an Epson SC-P800.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Undo does not work properly on deleted text, it only deletes one character at a time instead of whole block of text

I am on a Mac and this is a problem with InDesign 2018.

If you backspace delete two or more characters from text, undo (Ctrl+Z) only restores one character at a time instead of the whole block that was deleted in that action.

Undo worked fine in previous versions of InDesign, and it works fine in Word and other apps.

I have tried deleting InDesign preferences and caches and even reinstalled it with import previous prefereces unchecked, but the problem remains, and I cannot find any solution. Can someone please help?

Macbook Air now running High Sierra 10.13.2 (but problem…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Converting 2018 to 2017

Most times when trying to open indd 2018 files from indd 2017, it gives the option to convert. Then says unable to convert because I'm not signed in when in fact...I am.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Duplicate Page Sizes

If I go to add a new page, for some reason all my page sizes are duplicated.

The secondary one don't do anything and can't be clicked on, the first one works correctly as it should.

InDesign 13.1 MacOS 10.13.5

Done all the usual restarts, check for updates etc.

Any ideas?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2023(v18.5.0.057) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

9. New defined Character Color in Paragraph Style not visible

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
      Adobe InDesign CC Version 2017.1 Build 12.1.0.56
      MAC OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
      Create a new Paragraph Style
      Go to Character Color tab
      Create new color with a double click in the black square
      Define some values for C/M/Y/K and click OK

3. Expected result
      The new color shoud show up at the end of the existing color list

4. Actual result
      The new Color don’t show up
      After changing to another tab and back the color show up

5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
      Video…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

10. Indesign CC 2017 does not accept color management

Hello!
    I work on Mac with high Sierra 10.13.2 with adobe CC 2015, 2017 and 2018.
    I have been working with Adobe for 25 years and therefore know the subject color management settings & synchronization.
    In Photoshop I have a color set made up of ECI RGB and ISOcoated v2 and other parameters such as rel.fartric with TK, etc.

Then I synced with the bridge the suite on this set. Photoshop and AI do not accept this set but InDesign does. The error message comes:

"Some parameters of the color settings file could not be used. The default values ​​are…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting the issue. We need some information around the issue which may help us in narrowing down the root cause:

1. Does it happen with the latest InDesign version 14.0.1 ?
    2. Is it document specific or happens with all the documents?
    3. Does it happen when you switch between Adobe applications in a specific order ?
    4. Please specify your Platform, OS version and InDesign version.

A short video depicting the issue will be very helpful.

11. .Indd files look like their opening, but they and the controls are not displaying in Indd. Just missing.

.Indd files look like their opening, the application seems to think it's open, but they and the controls are not displaying in Indd. It's just missing. It happens with any Indd file. No error. It just wont' open, but you can see the temporary file in the folder showing it's open, and it asks me if I want to save it when I go to quit. I just reinitialized my computer last weekend and reinstalled CC.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Placing illustrator files is very very very slow after update

After updating AI and INDD, placing AI files into INDD is taking a very long time. I made an update to an AI file that was placed into an existing INDD files that contains 13 placed AI files. I only updated a few of the linked AI files. Prior to the AI and INDD update, updating these placed links took a few seconds each max. Now, just to update the two links takes about 2 minutes.

This MAY be an AI bug, but I don't know how make that determination as I updated bothat the same time.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Extendscript : impossible to add word to user dictionnary with respect to upper/lower case

Using the following script portion :

app.userDictionaries.item('Français').addWord ([ "~Crescrire"]);  

the data added to the dictionnary is "~crescrire" and the the upper case C is lost.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Top Selection Bar Glitch

1. InDesign 208
    2. For example, let's say I have a file open and I want to create a new file without using the shortcut CTRL+N. When I bring my cursor to the top bar containing File, Edit, Layout, Type, Object, etc... it selects the correct category which results in a dropdown menu, but as soon as I move my cursor a little, the system throws the cursor over like 2 tabs at a time. So for example, I click File, the menu drops down, I move the cursor to select the type of New file I want and then suddenly I…
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Text becoming conditional

If I have conditional text in which the condition include the paragraph mark, when I re-open the document, the following paragraph sometimes has the condition applied to it, even though it was unconditional before. This is a repeatable problem.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. InDesign version 13.0.1 x64. Dynamic spelling does not show misspelled words with red underline as you type, prefs are set to that.

InDesign version 13.0.1 x64. Dynamic spelling does not show misspelled words with red underline as you type, prefs are set to that. But if you do right mouse button, or spell check, it does know the word is misspelled, offering correction suggestions. We really need to see it "dynamically" as one types; this feature is not working.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Pasteboard size difference between CC 2017 and 2018 causes page view jump

This occurs when I begin to work on a document that was made in a previous version of InDesign, which by default had smaller top and bottom pasteboard margins. The first actual action I perform on a spread — not just clicking; something like moving an object, editing text and deselecting the text box, or creating a new object — causes the pasteboard to increase in size vertically to what I presume is the new default, which also causes the page view itself to jump down. This only happens on the active spread. This also produces a graphical error if…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, start a new thread by adding all the relevant details. We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Paragraph styles alignment won't set

I am unable to change the paragraph alignment in existing paragraph styles. it stays on "left" no matter what i select. there are no associated styles it just won't let me change it.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. High Sierra 無法開啟 cs3 indesign

無法開啟cs3indesign

安裝了macOS 10.13 High Sierra後。開啟cs3 indesign時。呈現空白對話框。既無法繼續操作也無法結束 . 請問有無解絕的辦法

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base