Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6483 results found

1. InDesign CC2018 is not compatible with Nvidia GPU anymore

With NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB and MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3,
    pictures in boxes are going to be greyed, when manipulate the border/box. They are also going to be greyed when moving the content. With CC2017 it works properly. I was in contact with a chat support person already, who can proof this.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

Can you please share screenshot for this issue. And , are you facing this issue for all the documents ?

2. Shared document on server crashing upon opening

I am working with colleagues on a file stored on a shared server. When they try to work on a document that I have worked on (documents that I have changed, not just created), InDesign crashes upon trying to open the file. If they then try to restart InDesign it continues to crash upon starting until they restart their computer. We have both tried updating InDesign and it is still occurring. Thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Ignore All not working in spell check

When using the spell check, the "Ignore All" feature no longer appears to work. When spell checking a long document this is a pain and it's really easy to miss something that is actually wrong.

This seems to be a fairly recent thing as it did used to work. Using the latest version of InDesign.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. images pixelated when rotated

When I place an image into InDesign it imports high res, but when the image is rotated, it becomes severely pixelated. Even when the image rotation is a small degree - just a few degrees even. The image preview becomes distorted severly and changes distortion with every degree of rotation. I should mention that I am a professional graphic designer with over 20 years of experience so I have tried all of the obvious fixes - switched view to "overprint preview", set display performance to "High Quality", deleted preferences.. I have done everything imaginable. Running a machine with 3 GB…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Cursor vanishes when over frames

My cursor is vanishing in InDesign when I move it over a frame (or object inside a frame). It is almost like it is underneath or behind the frame/object.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Object Style — Frame Fitting Options — Crop Amount: Does not respect set measurements

Object Style — Frame Fitting Options — Crop Amount: Does not respect set measurements.

The Object size is fixed at 300px height, with total crop of -60px.

The Image Size within should amount to 240px after crop, but it is as shown in image 4 attached here.

Autofit is ON.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. form field tag export

Current version - InDesign CC 2018

Form field tags are not created when exporting an interactive .pdf with tags.

To recreate:
    1. Create a form with form fields.
    2. Add everything to Articles pane in order from top to bottom per page.
    3. Export to interactive .pdf, make sure to elect to create tags and set tabbing order by structure.

Expected result - when the file runs through the Accessibility checker in Acrobat Pro - it passes.

Actual result - all form fields are missing tags and does not pass the accessibility checker.

Everything worked great before I updated InDesign…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.
    If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.
    Thanks,
    InDesign Team

9. Copy a object in InDesign by holding down the alt-key and move obect with the mouse doesn-t work with InDesign CC18 aunder MacOS High Sierra

Copying an object in InDesign by holding down the alt-key and moving the object with the mouse doesn't work any more with InDesign CC18 under MacOS High Sierra. For me this is (has been ..) a key function in InDesign!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. interactive button

I can't get the interactive button working on Epub preview, Epub export, or publish online. Either to activate an animation or the different appearances.

I've try reinstalling indesign CC 2018, and it till won't work.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Discretionary Line Break doesn't work in CC 2018

In InDesign CC 2018, text won't automatically break where a Discretionary Line Break is inserted—such as after an Em-dash. This feature worked in InDesign CS6.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Stroke Alignment Changes Shape Size

InDesign 13.0.1

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Create a shape (Rectangle, Circle, Polygon)
    2. Add stroke to shape
    3. Change stroke alignment

Expected Result:
    - Stroke changes alignment to what the user set (inside, outside, centered).

Actual Result:
    - Shape size (and bounding box) change, while stroke remains aligned inside the bounding box.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The stroke is always shown inside the bounding box for all three types of stroke alignments. But if you check the size of the object, it will be different for different stroke alignments.
    For example, if you have a square of 100 pt x 100 pt with a 20 pt stroke weight aligned to Center, its W & H = 120 pt. Similarly for the same square, if the stroke is aligned to Inside, its W & H = 100 pt while for stroke aligned to Outside, its W & H = 140 pt.

This is how it has been designed.

13. Text wraps when replacing a swatch

If I replace a swatch the text wraps at one place. It happens just with one color in the document... I doesn't matter which swatch I use for replacing... I never seen this before. I image how risky that is when you're replacing a swatch in a large project like a catalog and than somewhere in the document text is wraping...

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Thank you for reporting the issue.
    We are currently reviewing the same.

Regards,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

14. tabulazione

Ogni volta che attivo la tabulazione di un blocco di testo si chiude l applicazione!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. datamerge crashes after updating placeholder

The Crash happened after selecting the word between the data merge tags << WORD >> and then clicking on the placeholder name in the data merge panel. I had to do that to update a datamerge placeholder that lost its link to its source after converting the document back from cc18 to cc17.
    After relinking the data merge document, some of its tags still worked throughout the document and some didnt.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. indesign crashes very regularly

Indesign crashes very often these days giving this message [/Development/siriusr11/external/dva/adobe/dvaui/ui/src/OS_UI.cpp-4645], but not autosaving. It seems to happen at different times, can't pinpoint why it does

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2, then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face a crash issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, start a new thread providing the necessary information to reproduce the crash and send the
    information to santalwa@adobe.com as well.

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

17. alt text

Also category: Accessibility

I'm having a problem with the PDF tags when applying alt text to a group of items- a feature introduced in the most recent version of Indesign. Even though our articles panel shows separate articles, ALL of the content that comes AFTER a group tagged with alt text will have their exported tags all appear nested within that group as well, ignoring the structure set up in the Article panel. For example:

Article 1

Group with alt tag

item in group

Item in group

more content

Article 2

Article 2 content

Will in the exported PDF appear…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Error Message "you cannot reverse this change with the edit > undo command".

This comes up continuously. The only way you can dispose of it is by shutting the program down. Apparently I am not the only person, as it been reported before. See the Adobe forum the same problem - forums.adobe.com/thread/2292990

This makes it an official problem not exclusive to my experience.

Do we have fix???

David

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Keyboard bold shortcut uses wrong font weight

When I press Cmd+B to unbold Helvetica, it makes it UltraLight instead of regular. How weird! The old CS6 InDesign seemed to know what non-bold was better than the new font selector. Please take its information and make the new tool smarter. Thx

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Changes are not tracked when you copy and paste text from more than one cell into a table

1. This exists in all version of InDesign and InCopy.

2. To reproduce (see corresponding images):

a) Create a new document with a table filled with text and in InCopy set it to tr.ack changes.

b.) Copy the contents of at least two cells.

c.) Paste the contents into different cells.

d.) Initially these changes will be showed as tracked in story/galley view.

e.) When the document is saved and the reopened these changes are no longer tracked.

1. The expected result is that the changes should remain tracked after the document is saved and reopened.
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base