Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6462 results found

1. Multi-character input from Indic keyboards failing

Tested in InDesign 2023 18.5.1 and 2024 19.1, on Mac OS Ventura 13.4

Several Indic keyboard layouts include keys that input a sequence of more than one character as a shortcut for typing the common –ra,, r–, or other syllabic forms that Unicode encodes as a sequence of multiple characters. So, for example, the Mac Sinhala keyboard assigns the following multi-character sequences to individual keys:

[`] = ්‍ර (rakārānsaya, U+0DCA U+200D U+0DBB)

[Shift]+[`] = ර්‍ (repaya, U+0DBB U+0DCA U+200D)

[Shift]+[H] = ්‍ය (yansaya, U+0DCA U+200D U+0DBA)

But in InDesign only the first character of each sequence is input, the second…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. The link is set to "anyone with link can comment" but it's still requiring a password

I have created a share for review link for others to comment on, however it's requiring them to log into an account even though it's set to "Anyone with the link can comment". This was not the case before, others could comment as a guest. Using InDesign 2024 v19.0.1

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. current page marker font malfunction if 3 digits or more

The third digit and beyond in the "current page number" marker is distorted in certain fonts, and almost appears to be an old style number (shifted down and squished), even when I set the font's Figure Style to "Proportional Lining" under Paragraph Style > OpenType Features > Figure Style. In fact, it also seems to do it in automated footnote reference numbers, where control of the Figure Style doesn’t seem to work either. However, when I just type out the number using the same style, it appears correct. This issue appears to be in Adobe InDesign 2024 (19.3), but when…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Scrolling is glitchy or nonfunctional in InDesign 2024

Scrolling with a mouse (not the trackpad) through a document vertically or horizontally works, but not always. Zooming in by holding Alt and then scrolling is unusable because trying to zoom in causes everything to zoom all the way out, and continuing to try to zoom in only works sometimes.

I have tried this with multiple mouses, and the issue does not occur in any other program, including InDesign 2023.

In the attached video, I am holding Alt and trying to zoom in.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Copy and Paste from Share for Review Comments panel not working

You used to be able to copy/paste directly from the REVIEW panel COMMENT when you receive feedback. Now it won't allow you to copy what someone has reviewed and suggested as replacement text. This is very important as it makes it much more efficient to copy it from within InDesign rather than swapping between screens to do it from the browser. Please can you fix this! Thank you!

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 2024 lag

InDesign 2024 is lagging a lot—there's a delay in response when clicking onto a text or content box to edit the content. Even moving from page to page (at typical or fast display) there's a lag.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. indesign mouse cursor disappear on the layout design

when i open an indesign layout and try to choose an item on design elements my cursor disappeared. i already re-deleted my preferences and tried some other elements on the internet i found. Please help :) wish you luck

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Color Profile Warnings when copying Objects and Text within the same Document

Mismatching color profile warnings are very helpful when copying objects between documents with different profiles, which is why this is an always-on option for me.

However, for some time now, such warnings seem to pop up randomly when I copy text between documents with the same profile settings, and sometimes even when copying text from one text box to another within the same document.

My understanding is that this is a bug, as live text in an INDD cannot have different profiles. Is there a way to avoid these warnings and still get them when they are necessary (copying between…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Damaged capitals

In Design 19.3 x64
    After pouring in an editable file (MS Word 2010), where the capitals were in the footnotes in the names of the author(s) and editor(s) the capitals did not include the last letter of the last name or the last two letters.
    Earlier versions (3-4 updates) worked fine.
    Selecting the author's name and including capitals does not help. Further the last letter (or two) are not capitals. You have to mark the name and a comma (sometimes even a space) to make the full name capitals.
    It takes more time, more attention to correct all the footnotes.…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. "Insufficient data for an image" error is shown on opening PDF in Acrobat

We are experiencing issues with exporting to PDF. Hi res PDF Compatibility Acrobat 7 (PDF 1.6).
    The PDF is created normally, but when opening the PDF, it sometimes happens that the image is not displayed on one or more pages. The error message for this specific page is: ERROR: Insufficient data for an image.
    We tried to solve this problem within our team. Eventually, we discovered that the issue did not occur for one of our colleagues. Further investigation revealed that this colleague was still using an older version of InDesign (18.3). The colleagues experiencing problems had automatic updates enabled…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. "Visual Cursor Movement" not working in Arabic in ID 19/19.01

On previous versions of ID with Arabic support, I could press left arrow to move cursor left, right arrow to move right. In versions 19 and 19.01, the cursor goes to the beginning or next line of Arabic text. So I have to select 'Logical Cursor Movement' under settings but now cursor move the opposite way: left arrow moves cursor right.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Window jumps to maximum size in 19.2

Since version 19.2, InDesign's window behavior has been weird and wrong. With each mouse click it jumps to the maximum window size. If I resize the window, the next mouse click will maximize it again. Very annoying. This is only in 19.2. I have a Mac Studio M1 and a 49-inch Dell U4919DW monitor (size 5120 x 1440 pixels), so I don't want to work at the full size of the screen.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Documents not showing when changing screens.

When disconnecting my MacBook Pro from my Apple Studio Display open documents are not showing on the laptop screen - only blank grey screen. I can mark its content but nothing but bounding boxes are visible. Have to shut down all documents and start all over.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Fix the touchpad

Just fix the touchpad please. I've already discussed it In detail on the Adobe community (https://shorturl.at/hAPZ8), but the touchpad is not working well at all. Now it's just less worse than 19.0 but still not working properly. You can't pinch to zoom, unlike Illustrator for example, and in general, it's not smooth at all. Trying to scroll through a project is a challenge; it scrolls in jumps with almost zero control over it. Centering the project on the PC is impossible without control 0.

Win11 23H2 22635.2915

Here's the full URL if you don't trust the shortened one: …

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. PAC 2021 Error for InDesign generated PDF : Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I am still getting Object reference not set to an instance of an object when testing pdf files in PAC 21. This error apparently relates to 'PDF Export using ZIP compression for images shows an “Insufficient data for an image” error on opening in Acrobat.

This was supposed to be fixed in ID 18.5 but its now happening with every PDF I check for accessibility, even a single page with simple text.

Working for local government and its imperative our PDF files exported from ID are fully accessible and tested. Seek an urgent fix.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Correct but wrong German translation for Review Panel

The German translation for »Share for Review« is »Für Review freigeben«. I do not understand why you kept the »Review« in English, but that's not my point here and could be discussed somewhere else.

There is the Review panel, which can be opened via Window > Comments > Review. In German it should be named »Review« as well, because you did not rename the functionality. Right?

But, hey, the panels name ist »Überprüfen«. Correct translation, but inconsistent, as you might agree to me.

So please, change »Überprüfen« to »Review« or change »Review« everywhere else to »Überprüfen«.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. GPU Preview Freak Outs

Often times InDesign GPU preview freaks out, rendering the pages with random artifacts. Here are 2 spreads on GPU and on CPU (certain information blurred out). I've also attached another example of GPU freak out.

macOS Sonoma 14.3 MacBook Pro M3, InDesign 19.1

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. update to v24

For as long as I can remember, dating back to the early single-digit versions of Adobe products, it was advised to make separate backups of user settings that were often found in obscure directories on a user's own computer. I dared to trust Adobe this time around, hoping that the update to version 24 of InDesign and its option to delete old versions, would respect the user settings that I so painfully put together. FAIL. Adobe failed to maintain them and deleted them from existence. Adobe should be putting a disclaimer on their update process to prompt users of all…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Accepting PDF Comments does not insert the comments, only deletes the text

ID 18.5 PC

Importing PDF comments of the text replacement type (strikethrough), although it deletes the existing text, but does not insert the text of the comment in its place.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Indesign 2024 Unable to Recognize Variable Fonts from Documents Created with Previous Version

InDesign 2024 (v19.0) fails to recognize variable fonts from documents created in previous version. Specifically, Helvetica Now Variable weights and widths are reported as missing. Running MacOS Sonoma (but the same system opens the file without issue when using InDesign 2023… can’t be an OS issue.)

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base