Error on Save : "Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but appears to be damaged."
Indesign constantly comes up with a weird error when ever I click save while in a document - 'Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but appears to be damaged. click Ok.
Also I know in the previous version that whenever I zoomed in too much I would get constant crashes. Hope it's been fixed in the version but I won't hold my breath.
Save As > Save as an older version (IDML) then open and resave as current version worked for me - phew
Jason Hensley commented
Yea this gets really old
I'm getting this error as well.
ID 16.3.2, Mac OS 10.14.6.
I open .indd files from a network location. I've only observed it when opening a file saved by ID 16.3.2 (i.e., not when converting from an earlier version).
Whatever InDesign is doing differently with this release of 2021, it's apparently not stable.
I'm going back to 2020.
- Attempt to return to ID2020 will not preserve DataMerge linkages, so one file is stuck in ID2021 hell.
- "Unable to save this file, we tried, but it appears to be damaged" error appears on nearly every attempt to save a file.
- Oddly, changes to the file appear to be saved in fact (at least most of the time)--e.g., close file after failure to save, reopen to find changes intact.
- An attempt to edit after a failure-to-save error message usually results in a program crash.
- After a program crash, saving becomes possible again without the error.
I am getting the error message on version 16.3.2
Nick LiCausi commented
I am getting the same error message on version 16.1
H F commented
This started happening for me with the 16.0.1 update 12-06-2020. Went back to the previous version and no problems
I've lost so much work now. It randomly – can't save. So you don't get crash report. It just won't let you save.
Lol, and like 5 minutes later after thinking I have solved the problem, Indesign proves me wrong. It doesn't matter which tool I have selected before pressing save, both tools cause the problem. Great!
I have now discovered the cause of this weird error.
If I have the 'Direct Selection' tool selected when I click on the File, Save command, I get the weird error message as stated above. But If I have the 'Selection' tool selected and click on the File, Save command, I don't get any error or any warning message.
Since updating Indesign to 15.1.1, sometimes I can't save files on our server. I don't have any issues with other Adobe apps. I get the following error saying that the file is damaged (even with new files).