Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• or

248 results found

1. make styles palette at book level (as well as variables, master pages and other shared book elements)

then, there could be a switch button in paragraph styles palette for documents (as well as other palettes) that makes all styles "inherited" from book "superpalette".

I mean, that I would make ONE set of styles which will be instantly propagated into all book documents, (which have this switch in "on" state).

I know it can be done with book "synchronize" button, but it is not working, when you change styles name in one document. Synchronizing just add this style as a new to synchronized documents, instead of changing its names everywhere.

And, last but not least, there will be…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Shared files in Dropbox should alert other file users if the file is open

My team is trying to collaborate cross-country on a set of InDesign files using Dropbox.

This is difficult because the InDesign files don't notify users when someone is in the same file when it's stored in Dropbox. This makes our team more likely to have divergent copies, and it makes it harder for us to collaborate.

Word files in Dropbox do let you know when someone else is in the file. It would be a major improvement if the InDesign files would also alert users when someone else is in the file when its stored in Dropbox.

Alternatively, if Adobe…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Full Screen and Split View do not work

Version of Adobe InDesign: 13.1
    Steps to reproduce the issues: Click the green 'maximize' button to put the application into Fullscreen mode
    Expected result: Application should enter standard MacOS fullscreen mode like other modern Mac apps do, compatible with switching Spaces and sharing screen with another app in Split View.
    Actual result: Can not enter Full Screen, breaking multi-app workflow with Spaces or Split View.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  UI  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We will review it shortly

-InDesign Team

4. Uncheck Shared Hyperlink Destination by default

In the panel 'New Hyperlink' the box 'Shared Hyperlink Destination' is by default checked. I always (must) uncheck it. Two questions: can I reset these default-settings somewhere. (I think not - but I'll like to do that). There is no possibility to put this check on/off under a shortcut. That should be nice for automation-purpose.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add Creative Cloud Libraries to InCopy

InCopy users would find CC Libraries very useful in many situations. Why aren't they part of the CC Library party?

They could import selected graphics from a shared CC Lib to the story (as anchored graphics), same as they can Place them now. They could use them to bring in boilerplate text via linked InDesign text. They could use them to add styles to their standalone InCopy docs (eg, the body style for the INDD file the story will be flowed into). I'm sure there are more uses!

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. History panel a la Photoshop

Photoshop has a history panel, extremely useful when undoing edits, or simply reviewing them, etc. This would be awesome in InDesign, and all other Adobe programs too.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Export HTML keep set names for text anchors

When exporting to HTML, the process removes all text anchor naming from InDesign and renames them chronologically (e,g. _idTextAnchor002). This is very frustrating when you want to keep nice, logical names for user navigation, or set an anchor to be referenced externally. Currently, make new anchors links in the document changes other anchors links (i.e. if you place an anchor link between the 1st and 2nd link, that link takes on the id and name for the 2nd link, and all other links get pushed so 2nd becomes 3rd, 3rd becomes 4th). This is terrible if users what to share

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  HTML  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Comments to Zoom Where Pin Is

If you are selecting a comment, the pin will have a small way of highlighting (whether it be a small square, yellow highlighter, red strikethrough or blue strikethrough) and will fit page to screen. This can be difficult to see when there are a lot of comments on one page. It would be helpful for it to center and zoom into the comment by 50% when selecting it.

Another recommendation: When I tag a reviewer, they get the email about my tag. However, when they go to find this tag, they have to scroll through every comment to find…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Shared graphics within an object box

Please make it possible to share a graphic in an object style. This feature was available 30 years ago in Quicksilver (Interleaf).

For example, we create multiple manuals that are scripts for administrators. When there is a speaking part, clients want a graphic of some sort to indicate that the administrator read the text. Or there are graphics that repeat throughout the document, but at the last minute, something may change. The object style can control so much , why not the content within the object box?

PLEASE!!!!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Toggles in Dashboard for published content

Introduce zwo Switches/toggles for "Hide the Share and Embed code" and "Allow PDF-Download" within the dashboard for an already published document so it doesn’t have to be republished every time one wants to change any of these options?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Additional View Options

I would like to be able to view my pages in a grid format, similar to viewing art boards in a grid in Illustrator, for ease of design review across many pages and spreads.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Invite To Edit for InDesign

Just wondering if we might one day see an Cloud Based Invite To Edit feature similar to the Illustrator and Photoshop feature for InDesign? I assume this might come when there is a iPad capable version for iPad? While it is not needed all the time I sometimes have to share a file to be edited by internal people in a company and it would be great if it could be shared and collaborated on so there is one master version of the file instead of sharing and then having an outdated file after they have done updates or…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Accessibility to Authors

For long book publishers (200–300 pages or more), the appeal of InCopy is being able to share text between the designer, editor, proofreader, and author. But InCopy is $240 for 1 year of use, so of course no freelance proofreader or author is going to buy it. Microsoft Word is far more accessible, $100 for one year and that includes the entire Office suite. Many people also use free online versions from the web or from years past.

I would suggest making Adobe InCopy free or at least available for a much lower price. Making it free could actually make…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  InCopy  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Select multiple anchored objects

The ability to Shift+click to select multiple anchored objects to be able to make changes to all of them.

One situation this would be useful in is when you have multiple anchored frames for interactive text boxes to update all of their shared properties like font, and font size.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Workspace – Why can't Workspace preferences be applied to all devices?

I currently use three (sometimes 4) Apple Macs in various locations around the country as I move from office to office. I understand the constraints re logging computers in and out of my account (no problem there), but why can't my Workspace preferences be shared amongst the computers? After all Adobe know who I am, they know what computer I'm using, they've loaded my CC libraries, surely applying my Workspace preferences to all of my devices by default, can't be that difficult?

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Apply Master Pages Across Multiple Documents in a Book File.

I use Book Files quite often in my job to create catalogs. These catalogs have multiple sections. It would be nice to be able to set up master pages one time that could be shared for all the documents that make up that book. Kind of like applying the same exact character or paragraph styles across multiple docs.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The ability to unlink footnote/endnotes from references, thus turning the footnote/endnotes into static notes.

As a designer who typesets thousands of pages of academic research annually, the ability to convert footnotes to endnotes and vice versa is a helpful addition (thanks InDesign team), but more features are needed:

The ability to unlink footnote/endnotes from references, thus turning the footnote/endnotes into static notes.

Currently this process is accomplished only via the benevolence and magic of Peter Kahrel's script, available here: http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/end_to_static_CC2018.jsx

The reason being, I can no longer use the InDesign XML tagging feature while the footnote/endnotes remain linked—for some reason, XML tagging of footnote/endnote text is not supported!

If you'll indulge me, here's a…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Import PDF Comments - Further Enhancements

We'd like to include the below options in the recently added feature in InDesign CC 2019, called 'Import PDF Comments':

(1) We'll be adding few default PDF pages after exporting PDF from InDesign, please confirm how to handle this when importing back to InDesign?

(2) We'll be receiving special characters like greek, symbols, etc. within PDF annotations, please confirm how to apply specific font to those characters, if they're not available in the current paragraph font, currently they're showing as missing glyphs?

(3) We'll be sharing the secured PDF to our external users, please confirm how to allow them to…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Default search folders

I have to share documents with translators who having a different folder structure on the PC. They of course have the same linked files, so when opening the document, they relink all files, then save and send me. I would then have to relink again every time when opening the document for a check, because Indesign only remembers linked files folders as long as it is running. My wish: an option to permanently add folders to primarily look in for linked files.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Reinstate the Publish Online button in the top bar please!

This shortcut button to the Publish Online function was one of my most frequently used, and for some strange reason, in the latest version 18.5, it has been removed.
    I can't see any reason why it can't remain where it was, very conveniently situated in the top bar beside the Share button.
    The new option slows down what was one of my most frequently used functions... I do hope this isn't just 'change for change's sake'??
    Anyone else find this change unecessary and annoying?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base