How can we improve InDesign?

Running Headers to pull from previous page

Add the ability for a paragraph/character style to pull from previous page. Currently only given first on page and last on page. Need more options. example: chapter 1title is on page 1 and text crosses onto page 2. At the end of page 2 is the next chapter title, but need to be able to put the previous chapter header on page 2 as a running header.

12 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While Adobe should be able to do this easily (I would think), to be able to say "…cont'd", as Rhiannon says, I read somewhere that there is (for now) and add-in that allows for this "last on page" text variable. Can anyone confirm (or not)?

• Koen Bats commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this too for my manuals, to assure readers can keep track of the chapters and subchapters there in. My manuals are about ways of working with software and files in our company and many topics are repeated but always in a different context. So it's important for the reader to keep track of this context - to see the whole picture.

• Rhiannon Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would be a really good idea for pages with a heading halfway down the page. I was hoping to use text variables to to automatically add headings like 'Section 5 Continued' to the top of a page where Section 6 starts near the bottom of the page.

Feedback and Knowledge Base