Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6469 results found

1. Color Settings change to Emulate InDesign 2.0

Color Mode changes from whatever is set in InDesign when switching app from Adobe Photoshop to InDesign (latest versions) ... I am getting the same problem when switching from Photoshop to the latest Illustrator as well.

Problem Occurs even when InDesign (and Illustrator) are both shut down. After launching Photoshop and then shutting Photoshop down, Color Settings in InDesign and Illustrator are both changed to "Emulate".

PLEASE FIX IMMEDIATELY!!!! THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM and impacts my workflow horribly as I am back-and-forth between these applications regularly.

I have checked Bridge as well... and default is set to North American…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. You do not have access to Publish Online service.

I have been working with publish online services and have spent the past few days publishing some document and everything works.

Suddenly today, I began receiving this error when trying to publish online "You cannot use this feature right now. Please check your network connectivity."

Additionally, when I try to access the publish online dashboard I see this error: "You do not have access to Publish Online service."

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. You do not have access to Publish Online service.

I have been working with publish online services for a few months now and have spent the past few days re-publishing the same document trying work out some kinks in the button operations and animation timing.

Suddenly today, I began receiving this error when trying to publish online "You cannot use this feature right now. Please check your network connectivity."

Additionally, when I try to access the publish online dashboard I see this error: "You do not have access to Publish Online service."

I am currently running version 15.0.

Has anyone had this happen before and know what to do?…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

This has been fixed. Please check if you are able to access the Publish Online service

Thanks

4. Khmer Script Punctuation Line Breaking Is Broken

Regression Bug (used to work in InDesign CS 5.5)

Adobe InDesign CC 15.03 currently will break lines between Khmer script and its punctuation even though no space is present (Khmer Unicode Punctuation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_script#Spacing_and_punctuation ) as pictured in the attachment.

Desired Result: Khmer punctuation should stay with the Khmer script preceding it (just like an English period, comma, question mark, etc. does). The whole word should line break with the punctuation (currently Khmer uses zero-width spaces [U+200B] to indicate a word-boundary).

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. The Book panel does not remember its size and location

The Book panel is the only panel in InDesign that doesn't remember its size and position when you close and re-open it.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new book (File > New > Book). The book panel is shown at the centre of the screen. No need to add documents to it.
    2. Move the panel to another location on the screen, and change its size in the usual way (click-drag on a corner of the panel).
    3. Save the book and close it.
    4. Re-open the book.

Expected behaviour: the book panel is opened at the same location and at the same…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Book panel is a special type of panel that is always associated with the .INDB file – unlike other panels where there is no actual association with a file on disk. The panel also shows the name of the Book file. If that INDB file is deleted, then the panel does not have any meaning.
    Only when the Book file is opened is the Book panel available. So it can’t be part of a workspace & thus its size and location also can’t be fixed as there could be multiple Book files that can be opened simultaneously.

InDesign team

6. Column Rules fail if a Table is the first item in a Text Frame

(Hmm ... tried to attach an INDD file and I'm told they're not allowed. Really? OK ... will try a ZIP file with the INDD inside. Nope ... ZIP won't work either. Uploading a PNG screenshot)

Column Rules fail if a Table is the first item in a Text Frame

Please see the attached sample file.

On page 1 and 2 you will find a variety of 2-column frames with column rule applied.

In each case, the column rule will fail BECAUSE the first item in the frame is a Table. But, on page 2 I've added one extra example…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Adobe 2020 Crashes with copy & paste

Whenever I try to copy/paste small elements from adobe illustrator onto Adobe InDesign, indesign will automatically quit. If I try to recover the file after it has crashed, it crashes again...

What is happening here? This is an ongoing issue since the update.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Artifact Tagging

InDesign now ignores it half the time when I designate an object as an artifact in the object export options panel. I run an accessibility check on the PDF and those objects come up as errors in the alternate text check, and I have to manually desginate them all as artifacts within Acrobat. I know this is a new issue, because I've been working with the same template for several years and locked down all the objects that were supposed to remain the same month to month. Never has a problem until the 2020 update.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are reviewing it

-InDesign Team

9. ALT Text not appearing in group

InDesign 2020

Issue: I have a screenshot with alt text included (typed in the Object Export Options dialogue). I then have a simple red box (rectangle tool, no fill, 2pt stroke) highlighting a section of that screenshot. When I group those objects, and export a tagged PDF, I get an error in Acrobat stating that no alt text exists.

Expected result: Alt text should appear.

Actual result: No alt text is present, or the assigned alt text is not recognized and is flagged by Acrobat's accessibility checker.

This issue did not exist with ID 2019.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Cross reference takes more space than its text

A cross reference sometimes takes up more space than its actual text.

In the attached shows a frame with text with the right side of the text frame visible and the word "with" (above) extending well beyond the 2nd to last line in the frame. The "112" in the picture is a cross reference. When that cross reference is removed and "regular" text is typed in the 112 fits on the line.

Question first posted and confirmed by another here: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10908454#10908454.

This happens in CS6 and in CC2019, 14.0.1 x64.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Adjust Layout: add an option to ignore objects anchored in text or bring back legacy (2018) layout adjustment

I always made extensive use of the old layout adjustment feature in 'margins and columns', yet the new 'adjust layout' gives inconsistent and confusing results, resizing objects that never used to get changed.

It's gone from being very useful to a liability.

For me it was great for resizing the main text frame on multi-page (100s+ pages) books, but leaving the objects pasted into the text frame alone (figures, etc). Also moving page numbers aligned with margins, but not changing the sizes.

The new feature stretches and distorts carefully measured objects/figures, changes anchored object settings (at least, things move about…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We will review it shortly.

-InDesign Team

12. Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Right Arrow / Left Arrow in tables

InDesign version 14.0.

The keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+Right Arrow" to move one word to the right does not work when the text cursor is in a table. Same for "Ctrl+Left Arrow", to move one word to the left.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  amaarora responded

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020.

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

13. 13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know if the issue is resolved for you in InDesign 14.0.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

14. links labeled as "modified" when actually "OK"

ID= v13.1
    MacOS= 10.13.4

Problem: Open any ID file and links that should be "OK" are labeled as "modified". I do not get any error window that pops up notifying me this. Without taking any action, I close the ID file and reopen it and links are now labeled as "OK". Open it up a third time and links are "OK". I QUIT out of ID and open that same file and see links as "OK" and now they are labeled as "modified". This process repeats. Attached video to show. All links in these ID files are not modified or…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while, We have concluded our investigation into the issue and below is our finding.

This issue is due to the use of a specific version of Extensis Universal Type client: version 6.1.6.
    The issue is reproducible only with Id 2018 as Extensis UTC 6.1.6 is not compatible with Id 2019.

Please note:
    If you are using Extensis UTC 6.1.6 with InDesign 2018 please use any other version of Extensis UTC which is compatible with Id 2018 to avoid this issue.

Or you can upgrade to Id 2019 and used compatible version of Extensis UTC.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

15. HTML Export Endnotes with Hyperlinks

Version: InDesign CC 2018 - 13.1

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Use the endnote feature and in one of the endnotes (preferably after the first one), add a hyperlink.

2. Export the InDesign document to HTML

Expected Result: All endnote references are hyperlinked and the numbers for each endnote are backlinked back to the reference.

Actual Result: Endnote number is missing for all endnotes after the hyperlink that was added to the endnote and no linking occurs after the manual hyperlink.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

16. installed font missing

InDesign 13.0.1 on macOS 10.12.6

One installed font from a family of 6 suddenly started showing as not found. Frutiger LT Pro 67 Bold Condensed was correctly showing, now not.

I have re-installed InDesign twice, reinstalled the font, and rebooted several times. Font is correctly showing still in Illustrator and Photoshop.

This is impacting client files and while I have a workaround, I am concerned the problem will occur with other fonts where I don't have a viable solution. (I have another foundry version of that particular font.)

Screen shots attached.

many thanks

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Please let us know if this issue still happens with the latest InDesign Release

Thanks

17. InDesign still crashing when saving to external server folder/alias

I updated to the new version of InDesignCC 2018 this morning (the November '17 update, version 13.0.1). Supposedly this was supposed to fix the Save/Save as crash but I just took the same steps as before and the crash is still happening. The steps are as follows:
    1. Create new document
    2. Save As
    3. Select folder within our shared folder (this is linked to another computer, the other computer is the "momma" so to speak in that its part of the hard drive of the other Mac (version 10.12.6). I am also running Mac version 10.12.6. We have a…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Please update to the latest version of InDesign, Id 13.1 for the fix of the problem.

Thanks,
    Abhinav

18. InDesign 2018 crashes when I update the links in the links panel

InDesign 2018 crashes when I update the links in the links panel. It does not matter which size they have.
    I'm using Indesign 2018 since yesterday. Running on a power Mac 2017.
    To finish my document I had to install indesign 2017 again and start all over! What can I do?

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

19. InDesign CC 2018 stalls to a spinning beachball right after opening for a brief time

On first opening InDesign in Sierra 10.2.4, after a couple of seconds of not taking any action, InDesign stalls briefly—about 3 to 4 seconds—not allowing any new action during that time. There is just a spinning beachball. I can postpone the beachball by immediately opening a menu; but after mousing away from the menu the beachball comes back. Not sure if it is trying to load something, but I currently don't have any extra extensions installed. I tried resetting preferences and removing all user install scripts, but it still did it. It's consistent every time I open the new version.…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue and allowing us some time to complete our investigation into the issue.
    As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email and we could come up with the below mentioned findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For the majority of the users the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    3. We also found few cases where the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

Please note that we have created separate threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread has become too generic to serve its purpose effectively. As per your feedback and the outcome of our investigation we have created…

20. Moving objects between layers using the layers panel doesn't always work

I struggle with moving objects between different layers in an InDesign document by using the layers panel. Often it takes two or more attempts to move objects. I wonder if it's the tolerance of the buttons or if this is genuinely a bug.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please update InDesign to the latest version, InDesign CC 2018 (13.0) for the resolution of the issue.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base