Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• or

327 results found

1. Windows 15.0.3 broke Book TOC when exporting to EPUB; works in 15.0.2

Windows 10 15.0.3 broke Book TOC when exporting to EPUB; works in 15.0.2

Not only did 15.0.3 eliminate Book > Export to EPUB option of EPUB Version 2.0.1, it changed the Table of Contents to include duplicate entries linking to every PAGE within a chapter. The Book.epub file had a separate .xhtml file for every page in the book, rather than one .xhtml file per chapter and one TOC entry per chapter. This makes the Table of Contents useless.

Reverting InDesign back to 15.0.2 fixes the problem.

Here are the parameters I used to export the EPUB:
    Book Menu :…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue.
    We are reviewing it

-InDesign Team

2. Option to change the color of bitmap fonts

We need a way to change the color for white/grayscale bitmap fonts.

We often use Bitmap fonts for the better texture we can get from them; however, not having the option to change the color of the font, means we have to change the color within photoshop, then either export separate images or entire fonts for each color we use. This is rather inefficient and slows down our process. Having the ability change the color of a white or grayscale bitmap font would be very useful.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. create outlines

v 14.02
    In previous versions, when creating outlines, the newly converted text could simply be ungrouped and the "letters" could be moved and manipulated independently. Now the function is creating each line as a graphic with the only option of releasing compound path to separate the letters. This is hugely inconvenient in a larger block of text. Is this a bug or some new function/option that can be changed? Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Form elements are not exported correctly into PDF and fail Acrobat accessibility checker

When I try to produce an accessible PDF form from InDesign, all of the form elements fail Acrobat accessibility checker. In my case, I have checkboxes and text fields.

For example when looking into a check box element in Acrobat, the text label gets a <Section> and a child <P> tag and the actual form element a separate <form> tag (including the OBJR). How can this be?

Using MacOS Monterey 12.2, InDesign 2022 version 17.3

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Getting missing font warning when trying to delete a page - won't delete page!

I am trying to DELETE a page and get a missing font warning - when I agree to update fonts and agree to "do you want to continue updating numbering?" it cycles back to the same warning, and won't delete the page. Over and over again. The font is Avenir, which some people are apparently having problems with, but I just want to delete a page before exporting to pdf.!! help!! I've tried opening and closing InDesign, fixing the file separately and in Book mode, nothing works....have a deadline NOW.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. ID will crash on awake (MacOS)

Adobe InDesign, for the last two, three versions (current 16.2.1), will crash 100% of the time when the Mac comes back from sleep mode. I'm running MacOS 10.15.7 on two separate Macs (iMac 2020 and an over Mac Book Pro), both with plenty or RAM, and this will happen 100% of the time on both systems. I've reported this several times but when you issue a new update to "fix bugs" this one persists.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. ink limit not displaying correctly with 'flat' psd files, Indesign 18.5

Indesign doesn't correctly display zero ink levels when inspecting psd files with the ink limit inspector when the .psd file has the default 'background' bottom layer present.

first image uploaded shows two files with same colour profiles, from same scanner etc previewed in Indesign —top one still has a 'background' base layer and the white area around it shows red when there isnt any ink/colour — this is incorrect!

If I double click the background layer so it is no longer 'flat' and resave the top photoshop file, then Indesign is able to read the ink levels correctly!

See…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. avoid incorrect sentence breaks

Hello, on your next in design update, I suggest an improvement that would be very useful for correct typographic formatting! For the formatting of a flagged text, it would be nice to be able to prevent line breaks before a two/three letter word, to avoid that the pronoun is separated from the subject (ex: "the" (line break) "house", to have "the house" on one line. I hope you will be able to add this feature, which I think is essential. Thanking you for your help

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. find/change missing from menu (PC)

I am using Adobe inDesign CC 2018 on a PC and since the most recent update (March 2018), I have lost the Find/Change option from the Edit menu. I have searched all over in case it was moved somewhere else, and also tried different workspaces, to no avail. Old document, new, it doesn't make a difference. Where did this go? I use it all the time. :( The keyboard shortcuts related to Find/Change don't work either. (Spellcheck isn't working correctly either--I posted a separate bug report about that. Are these related issues?)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. text wrap violates indented text next to it

[InDesign 16.2.1 x63/Windows 10 Enterprise ]
    When text with bullets sits next to a (separate) text frame that has a wrap applied, the text after the bullet doesn't align correctly.
    I tried to upload a file (both by dragging or clicking) and neither option allows me to attach the file. "The following file type [filename.indd] is not supported."
    An earlier bug report for the same problem had a response indicating that the issue has been fixed. It has not been fixed.
    Fortunately, you can move the tab marker on the affected lines to override the bug, but that's really not…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. indd 2022 - black font seperation incorrect in pdf export with some settings

after the update to indd 2022 (which some idiot client editor did in the middle of a magazine before saving and thus up-versioning half the files) I have problems with pdf export. Since acrobat/distiller seems not to have been updated at the same time, I assume the problem is with indd.

When exporting for print, indd exports black print as rich black - regardless of the indd settings - when the export to pdf settings /output / convert to destination (profile) is set.
    If I export with / convert to destination (preserve numbers) then black is exported correctly. This is…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Stop stealing focus

Please find a way to make InDesign stop stealing focus every time it does something. It does it 3 separate times on launch, every PDF export, and every time a file finished opening. Some files are 100MB+ and can take time to load, so sitting around waiting for it is not something people with work to do can afford to do all the time, and getting focus stolen in the middle of an email is not a good way to maintain workflow. It's unnecessary behavior, please fix it. This bug is present on 6 of 6 machines we use, spanning…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Custom menus created by script stay after relaunching InDesign

There's a bug in InDesign 2022 where custom menus created by a script stay after relaunching InDesign.

How to reproduce:

-Run this AppleScript script which will create a menu titled Custom Menu:

tell application "Adobe InDesign 2022"
    tell menu "$ID/Main" to make submenu with properties {title:"Custom Menu"}
    end tell

-Relaunch InDesign

The menu Custom Menu will still be there. While it should NOT be there unless explicitely created by a script again.

The only way to remove it is to run a separate script that specifically removes the menu.

It's a big problem for third-party software: for example, where users…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Indesign 16.0 crashes when copying text with anchored object

ID crashes every time I try to copy text that includes an anchored object. As soon as I hit CMD+C, it crashes. I can copy the anchor object separately, but trying to grab it inline with text does not work. I've tried it with multiple different areas of text/objects. This has happened over the last two days, repeatedly, after multiple re-starts and prefs updates. ID 16.0 on MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.7.
    EDIT: It seems to be an issue with one specific object. I can't seem to even copy that one by itself without crashing. I'll keep playing around to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. [ CC-2019 and 2020 ] The Convert-Endnotes-To-Footnotes Disaster SCOPE: DOCUMENT

Hi together,
    I'm using the menu dialog, not the context menu, for converting endnotes to footnotes. Scope: Document

The result is not as expected.

There are 7 endnotes in my document. Only 5 were detected by the conversion and only 3 of that 5 were actually converted. In one of the not detected endnotes the text has changed after the conversion. Some separator characters were added.

I am showing all this in more detail at the Adobe InDesign Forum and at InDesign Prerelease as well. Together with a link to my test documents.

Please see into:
    [ CC-2019 and 2020…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Rendering bug on second monitor

Just updated to Illustrator 16.2.1 and discovered a bug I didn't have last week. This is reproducible even over a restart. What I'm doing: opening two documents and moving one to a second monitor to compare the layouts. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i9 Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB. When I move a window to the second monitor (the Intel card), the display first is very large (one page, as opposed to spread view). Then as soon as I scroll, the content rendering gets corrupted. It might be totally upside down; or it might smear during scroll.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Interactive elements do not export to interactive PDF

Version - Adobe Indesign CC
    2015.3 Release
    11.3.0.34 Build
    operating on Mac OS X El Capitan, Version 10.11

Steps to reproduce issues:

Create a new document with a double-page spread in Indesign.
    Import four images into document and arrange on spread.

Import a shape into Indesign that will be assigned as a pop up box that will appear above Image 1 when rolled over, and place shape next to Image 1.
    Place some text (e.g. "Image credit') on top of shape and group text with shape.
    Open Buttons and Forms dialogue box:
    - Convert group to a button.
    - Set…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Alt + numeric keystrokes does not work

ASCII codes not working, that is keeping the LEFT ALT pressed, then typing ASCII codes on the nymeric typepad, finally releasing the LEFT ALT. For example Alt+0167 will give you the paragraph symbol.

Unfortunately, in the newest versions of In-Design, when the LEFT ALT is kept pressed, the program does not accept as input the whole string when Alt is released, but is considering each keystroke as a separate entry, even though Alt is still pressed, something that worked in Windows for 30 years.

So, since I had some shortcuts (eg. Alt+6 for a specific character style), when wanting to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Opening (book) document of same name but different path overwrites existing open file

Finalizing a book with 15 chapters, each about 15 - 30 pages (total 505 pages in book). Have several different versions, in separate folders; all with same file names and book names. Recently discovered that some files in the "FINAL" folder had been overwritten with earlier versions.

Is is sporadic and I have not been able to fully duplicatie. Looks like if A/chapter1 is open and then B/chapter1 is opened, A/chapter1 is overwritten with the content from B/chapter1. Something also occurs that causes A/chapter1 to get flagged as "possibly damaged" when next opened.

I cannot tell if this occurs only…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Rendering problems on second monitor

Just updated to Illustrator 16.2.1 and discovered a bug I didn't have last week. This is reproducible even over a restart. What I'm doing: opening two documents and moving one to a second monitor to compare the layouts. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i9 Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB. When I move a window to the second monitor (the Intel card), the display first is very large (one page, as opposed to spread view). Then as soon as I scroll, the content rendering gets corrupted. It might be totally upside down; or it might smear during scroll.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base