Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• or

377 results found

1. Paste without formatting option disappeared, CTRL+Shift+V not working

There was previously an option to Paste with Formatting and Paste Without Formatting, and after recent updates, the options have disappeared and paste functioning is working incorrectly. I used both of these functions for various reasons, and would greatly appreciate it coming back! I could use CTRL+Shift+V to paste without formatting, or, if I clicked into a text box and right clicked, there were for options: Cut | Copy | Paste | Paste Without Formatting. Now, only the first three appear as options and I've lost the fourth function. There are times when I WANT to paste with formatting, though…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. PNGs will often export at low resolution unless "high quality display" is selected

I have a graphic which includes a cropped part of a PDF which is a CAD drawing. I select it all, export to a PNG at 600dpi. Put it into Word and when I zoom in it's fairly pixelated: definitely not 600dpi.

If I select the placed PDF, turn the display performance to "High Quality Display" and re-export, it's a beautiful 600dpi file. This screams "bug" to me.

I'll add this to another bug report of mine, which is that if a link is modified or missing, you won't get a warning when exporting a PNG that uses it (you…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Bugs with Whitespaces in Justification’s Composer when work with Thai language and other issues

As my report on bug with text wrapping in 2020 version (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38998636-bug-with-world-ready-composer-when-use-space-like). Many of issues were fixed, but some still remain.
    Before going to the issue in the title of the post, I want to specify some issue that doesn’t fix form my last report. If you see on the attachment img 02, you will see the issue about text encoding (it just only my suspicion) that happen when you just copy and paste text (specifically in Thai) form 2020 version to 2019 or to another text editor. After I had pasted text into TextEdit (you can…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Pasting forced line breaks instead of end paragraphs (InDesign)

When pasting data from Excel, each row comes in with a Forced Line Break marker at the end, instead of an End Paragraph marker. This is a recent change within Indesign, as you used to be able to paste from excel into a table in Indesign, maintaining the proper rows and columns. Now when you paste in the same information, it doesn't recognize the end paragraph, and tries to put all the data in one row.

The same issue has been found when pasting text from Microsoft Word into Indesign - instead of End Paragraph markers, you get forced line…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Wrong hyperlink position when using index entry fields in imported document

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
    InDesign 17.4.2 / 18.3 (identical behaviour)

Steps to reproduce the issues

Create a Word document in .docx file format, add some text and some index entry fields, then a hyperlink at the end
    Save file and place in InDesign

Expected result
    Document is imported and hyperlinks remain in the same place

Actual result
    Document is imported and hyperlinks are shifted backwards by 1 character for each index entry field.

The error occurs regardless if you place the document into an existing text frame or create a new text frame by placing the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Drag-and-Drop text editing in Layout view problems

I was working on InDesign layout with Word text with some text originally in Arabic - with some numbers (dates) only for a reason I cannot understand, but it was a text about oriental philosophy... I discovered that my body text paragraph style (for a strange reason) used Adobe Worlld-Ready Single-Line Composer (it was not my choice!). That selection made the one letter Drag-and-Drop editor in the Layout view not work correctly. When I changed the composer to a simple paragraph composer everything is OK again...
    Made an experiment - on Latin-based text with World-Redy composer one cannot use Drag-andDrop…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Persistent place in Creative Cloud folders

I would love it if my location within a cloud folder was persistent. In other words, if I wasn't always put back to the root directory of my Creative Cloud files. As it is, I have to navigate back into my folders each time I want to save or place or do almost anything. This wastes a lot of time.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Paragraph styles removed when importing docx files while doc files retain styles correctly.

Using the latest InDesign 2022 (17.2.1) for Mac (The Middle Eastern version--the one that shows English and Hebrew), both on an M1 Mac mini and a late 2015 iMac running Big Sur.

Import a docx Microsoft Word file into an InDesign file (tried with blank new document as well as one of our templates) with the import settings set to bring in all styles.

The file is imported but the import has stripped all styles from the document.

Resave the docx file as a doc file.

Import new file into ID, which results in all styles being visible as is…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Issues in rendering some Assamese conjuncts

The Assamese 'reph' and 'rakaar' are not properly rendered while using the Assamese font "Banikanta", a font released by Govt. of Assam in India. The font can be downloaded from http://www.publicationboardassam.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Banikanta.zip

The font works well in all the other tools and platforms including MS-Word, Libre office etc.

Being associated with the development of this font, I have seen that the issue is seen due to the problem of the improper rendering of Adobe InDesign. In this font we have skipped the mapping of Bengali "Ra" (U+09B0) to construct the 'reph' and 'rakaar" as it is not used in…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Span columns not working properly (16.4)

InDesign 16.4 on Windows.

I have an issue with spanned text.
    It looks like a "break column" special character is created above and below the text when I span it across a 2 column frame. Or a text column is "skipped."
    This is happening on flowing text, on primary text frames. The text was initially imported from a Word document (without styling).

This "bug" doesn't happens on on other text frames where the text was not imported.

I am trying to upload the INDD packaged rar file but the platform is saying that that type of file is not supported...…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Span columns not working properly (16.4)

InDesign 16.4 on Windows.

I have an issue with spanned text.
    It looks like a "break column" special character is created above and below the text when I span it across a 2 column frame. Or a text column is "skipped."
    This is happening on flowing text, on primary text frames. The text was initially imported from a Word document (without styling).

This "bug" doesn't happens on on other text frames where the text was not imported.

I am trying to upload the INDD packaged rar file but the platform is saying that that type of file is not supported...…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Crashes when changing font, copying text and saving as another file type

I have been tryin to open one of my 'old' Indesign files (2017). At the time I used Cross-References plugin DTP tools. I no longer use it. It keeps populating a notification that the plugin is missing, but it still opens the INDD document. I have tried saving the document—
    1) as an IDML document and that does not work.
    2) I have also tried saving as a new document but the issue remains the same.
    3) I have tried copying the text from it to a new INDD document, it crashes every time and I have sent crash reports.…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. IDML

Found a bug (in all versions of InDesign) where an IDML does not have the correct CustomGlyph string:

1. Create a text box and select the font "Zapfino".
    2. Using the Glyphs panel, choose the character for the word "Zapfino" (which is GID 1059). Export to IDML. The IDML will open fine.
    3. Select the character again and change the font to Times. The character will become "uhorngrave", which is GID 1059 in the Times font.
    4. Export to IDML. Open the IDML and it will display as an invalid character.

The bug is because an IDML does not contain the Glyph ID and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. InDesign is unusable after the latest update (13.1) with spell checking and hyphenation is set to Hungarian / Winsoft.

InDesign is unusable after the latest update (13.1) if spell checking and hyphenation is set to Hungarian / Winsoft. All words are underlined as incorrectly spelled, hyphenation dosen't work, InDesign hangs. If I open a documents saved before the update InDesign displays the document, than hangs.

OS Sierra 10.26.6

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

We’ve been able to reproduce the issue and it is currently under investigation.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

15. Endnote Links Not Functioning When Published Online

I have a complex document (725 pages across 15 chapters) in which each chapter contains between 75 and 300 endnotes that I imported from the most current version of MS Word into InDesign 2021 (v. 16.4 x64). When I export a chapter as a PDF, everything works reasonably well (although links between in-text endnote numbers and endnote references simply jump between applicable page numbers, rather than to the notes themselves, but I can live with that). But when I publish a chapter or the whole online, only the bookmarks from the InDesign TOC feature work. The links between endnote numbers…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. text typed on path distorts when converted to outlines

Using InDesign v17.2.1, text typed on a path becomes distorted when converted to outlines. As you'll see in the attached before/after images, the converted text is mostly okay, but the last few words become almost illegibly small. The characters also become reoriented relative to the path ... some characters are vertical, others upside-down. I've tried changing fonts, creating new documents, and typing on paths of different shapes, but the problem persists. I was hoping that this problem would be addressed in the latest update, but it wasn't.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. hyperlink removes style

This is ID 19.4.

Hello– I have a character style applied to some (but not all) of the text in a TOC (see Attachment 1). As a test, we'll consider the word BELFAST, which has this specific style applied to it: font Roboto Bold, size 10, leading 12, All Caps, PMS 5275 CMYK.

However, when I use the 'Add Hyperlink' function to the entire text block (from BELFAST to the page #), the previously described style I have applied onto BELFAST is removed (see second attachment).

The particular TOC I'm showing you is short so no biggie, but I have…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Important message about pasting text with endnotes appears at wrong time

Pasting text with endnote(s) does not show a message. You instead get that message the NEXT time you paste an object, even if that object is not a text box containing endnote(s).

There is also a grammar error in the message, where the word "and" should be ", which" — and there is no period at the end of the sentence.

This has been in many versions of InDesign. I am using 17.1 now.

Reproduce:
    - Copy text with endnote(s) to the clipboard
    - Paste text into a new thread
    - Text pastes properly; a new page is added for…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. [BUG] PDF export creating with hidden attribute

We are an enterprise customer who haven't been able to get anywhere with the following:

Issue occurs on Ventura 13.1 and Adobe InDesign 18.1.

When exporting a PDF file to Mac desktop the file exports as expected.
    When exporting to a remote SMB share file creates with "Hidden" file attribute applied making the file invisible for those who do not have "Show hidden files" enabled.

This is the same file, from the same computer at the same time with the only difference being the remote location.

• Tested on two different Imac's (None apple silicon) running Ventura 13.1

• Tested to two…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Typographer's Quotes bug?

I've encountered an issue with Typographer's Quotes not working. I've searched extensively online and tried all the usual suspects (Typographer's Quotes is on in preferences, both Document and without any documents open; reset preferences) but I've been unable to fix them.

After further investigation, it seems that the issue only occurs using a single typeface (Skolar Latin, installed as OTF versions in Windows 10 Pro itself, rather than via Typekit). When typing double or single quote marks in InDesign with any weight of this typeface, then the straight version is inserted, irrespective of the Typographer's Quotes setting. If I do…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base