Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6500 results found

1. Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking and "Auto-fit" options do not seem to work.

I am using Indesign 14.0

When I relink files, Indesign changes the scale and placement of images automatically, regardless of whether the preserve image dimensions option in the file handling box is checked or unchecked, and whether the "auto-fit" button in the tool menu is checked or uncheked.

Preferences > File Handling > "Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking"

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. shift doesn't work at all

I updated the version yesterday.... shift doesn't work any more!

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while; we really appreciate your support!

Our investigation suggests that one of common reasons for the problem is that certain software (mostly antivirus and other security applications) and browser extensions happen to enable “Secure Keyboard Entry” on Mac machines due to which some keys such as Shift key in this case do not perform the desired action in InDesign.

For now I request you to follow the below provided KB doc for the quick workaround of the problem.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/features-do-not-work-keyboard-keys-mac.html

In the comments section many of the users have confirmed that disabling Webroot SecureAnywhere (a security app) has resolved the issue for them. Please note that, the problem may not be related to a particular software; there could be a different application or antivirus which might be causing the problem by enabling Secure Keyboard Entry on Mac.

-
    Sanyam Talwar
    InDesign Team

3. Table headers disappear when pasting

Several times now I've cut & pasted a table from one part of my document to another only to find the headers disappear. Inserting a row makes the headers reappear.

I'm usig 12.1.0.56 x64 build.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. "GREP Load Find with selected text" is incomplete on macOS

version: any OS: any macOS
    Edit menu > Keyboard Shortcuts > Text and Tables > “GREP Load Find with selected text” also “GREP Load Find and Find Next instance”

If the selected text contains meta characters that are escaped with a backslash, such as "End of Paragraph" (\r) or tab characters (\t), they are all captured as ¥r and ¥t.
    I’m forced to retype the ¥ into a \ before starting the search.
    On Windows, it works without retyping.

“Forced line break" (\n) is not a problem as a function, but the display is corrupted, which makes me uneasy.

It…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. M1 Mac Graphic Problems Continue

As others have mentioned InDesign graphic performance on M1 Macs is unacceptable. This was marked as "fixed" but it continues with macOS Ventura 13.0.1 and InDesign 18. For example, the screen does not always redraw when scrolling or jumping to a different page until you move your pointer. Switching to a different program and then back to InDesign also fixes the problem for a while. It doesn't matter whether GPU Performance is on or off. This is the most fundamental functionality. Please figure it out and fix it once and for all.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Need Alternative Launch images

I do not think the launch images in photoshop, indesign and illustrator are culturally sensitive. They should not include any people especially not raunchy females (as in photoshops blonde superhero type) female. Who needs that in their life? It doesn't help people be happy with their own partner or spouse to have some perfect looking woman staring at them! They should be totally neutral - landscapes, nature, no people please!! I posted this as a feature request too to at least have the option to disable this launch image. Thank you for your consideration on this issue.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. loading TOC-styles between various Indesign-files

InDesign version 16.4

When loading a newly created TOC-style from one InDesign-file to an other file, it copies more than just the possible TOC-styles. I loaded the TOC-styles of an InDesign-file with a smaller font and spacing and the load copied these other settings as well.
    It seems that the 'Load TOC-styles' loads all available styles, including Paragraph- and Character-styles.
    The selection-list that is available when loading Paragraph-styles and/or Character-styles is also missing.
    This makes it impossible to load TOC-styles between different InDesign-files which use the same Paragraph-style names.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. WorldReady settings go missing in [Basic Paragraph] style

Adobe InDesign (ME) 2021, 2020, CC 2019, ..., CS6
    macOS and Windows

InDesign's WorldReady settings (Paragraph Direction, Kashidas, etc.) are being stripped from a document's [No Paragraph Style] style when opened on a machine with a missing 3rd-party plug-in (like Em Software's InCatalog). This appears to happen with any 3rd-party plug-in that adds a text attribute with a prefix that's lower than the WorldReady plug-in's prefix. While the following steps use the Middle Eastern app (English Arabic), where there's a UI to see the style's empty/blank WorldReady entries, we've confirmed that this problem affects all app variants (including English (Roman)).

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. update package

Instead of making a new package every time it would be really handy to be able to update an existing package.
    proposed Use Case/action:
    a new menu item: Update Package… > Show package in Finder/Windows Explorer > Only the items that are not in the existing package will be added (the items in the package that are not used will be kept in the updated package)
    Thank you

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Spellcheck is grabbing the comma after words, causing an error

Since upgrading to Indesign 2021 v16.0, when I run a spell check, if it catches a word it thinks is misspelled but that word has a comma after it, spellcheck also grabs the comma. If I attempt to Add that word to my user dictionary, I get an error "Words ending in punctuation other than ending periods may not be added into the dictionary". This never happened in previous versions of Indesign. See attached screengrab.

(MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 // Macbook Pro Mid 2015)

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Error on Save : "Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but appears to be damaged."

Indesign constantly comes up with a weird error when ever I click save while in a document - 'Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but appears to be damaged. click Ok.

Also I know in the previous version that whenever I zoomed in too much I would get constant crashes. Hope it's been fixed in the version but I won't hold my breath.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Share for Review: Image Quality

Can we have an option where Share > Share for Review has a high-quality view as opposed to the low-res preview (see file attached- Review (left) and Original (right)) please?

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Share for Review is to quickly share a design that is still a work-in-progress with the Reviewer(s) for quick feedback. Since the review opens in a browser for the reviewer, it has to load quickly even on slow networks, that’s why the image quality has been kept low deliberately so that the page loads quickly without long wait times. Using high-res views will slow down the loading of pages in the browser considerably, marring the experience.

Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

13. Adobe Fonts automatically substituting versions of fonts that are document-stalled

When I open an InDesign file that has been packaged with all the fonts (non-Adobe Fonts) included in the Document fonts folder, if I happen to have the same version of the font activated in Adobe Fonts, InDesign automatically, and without warning, substitutes the Adobe Fonts version. This is a major problem. The heirarchy should be document-installed fonts FIRST, then InDesign can look in Adobe Fonts and suggest replacing it. This should not be done without warning in the background. It means that the person who was working in a package workflow without using any Adobe Fonts can send a…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Vertical Text Alignment not working correctly in InDesign 2020

I recently upgraded to InDesign CC 2020 and find all the text in circles not aligned vertically center. Document was last opened in CC 2019 and these were fine. I haven’t modified these since. Rectangles are fine. See attached example - clearly not right and inconsistently so. I have tried every setting and I can’t get them to line up. Thanks!

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

If you have created documents from ID15.0 where you see this issue, please do a Force Recomposition of the Text Frames (Cmd-Opt-/ on Mac, Ctrl-Alt-/ on Win) to make it work correctly.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

InDesign 14.0.2 and Acrobat Continuous 2019.10.20099

This issue is about the behavior and appearance of interactive check boxes in documents that have been exported to Interactive PDFs.

There is a difference in the way that check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear versus those created in Acrobat Pro. The Acrobat Pro Forms preferences are involved in this difference.

When, in Acrobat Pro Forms Preferences, under Highlight Color, the “Show border hover color for fields” option is selected, check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear in the following manner.

When a check box is made active, it first appears…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue. We are reviewing it

-InDesign Team

16. Indesign CC 2019 14.0.1 xmp-information for images cannot be copied

1: Indesign 14.0.1
    2: open any link details for any placed image/XMP-information
    3: I want to copy text from this window to clipboard (like credit-information). This was possible in Indesign 2015.
    4: it is not possible to copy text.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

17. Performance: Import documents / style apply

my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) is super slow when importing word documents, search and replace styles or adapting styles. Does it improve when changing to the Mojave system? Or is there a conflict with FontExplorer X Pro. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm suffering…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

In order to investigate the issue at our end we would require some more information from your side. Can you please answer the following questions to help us out:

1) Please let us know the version of InDesign on which you are facing this issue.
    2) It would really help us a lot, if you can share the documents( and other resources) with which you are facing the issue.
    3) Can you please share a small video demonstrating all the issues that you are experiencing.

Please mail this information to pgaurav@adobe.com

Thanks

18. import pdf comments

1. ID 14 Mac
    2. Copy text out of a comment to paste into layout
    3. Would expect that the cursor could be used to select all or part of an imported PDF comment
    4. In fact it is EXTREMELY difficult to get the palette to recognize that text is selected in the palette interface. The "Copy" popup does not appear a large proportion of the time, or you can't select the range of characters you need. Even though Acrobat is terrible at the same process, it is significantly faster to copy the needed range of characters from the comment in Acrobat and switch…
    15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign 13.1 Crash when show "Margins and Columns" Dialog and click "OK"

1. Version InDesign 13.1
      Testing Windows 10(1709) and macos 10.13.4, same results

2. Steps
      1 Execute InDesign 13.1
      2 Show "Margins and Columns" Dialog (Application Default)
      3 Click "OK" button

3. Expected result
      Crash InDesign

4. Actual result
      Don't crash

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

20. Applying a paragraph style causes text to appear duplicated on screen, but it's not really.

CC 2018, OS High Sierra, both most current, brand new install on a brand new iMac Pro.

If I apply a style using a key command, 90% of the time the text from the cursor down goes crazy, looks duplicated. But if I hit the key command again, or click off the paragraph, or scroll, it goes away and is normal. So it's not really duplicating anything as far as I can tell. I screen captured exactly what it looks like.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base