import pdf comments
- ID 14 Mac
- Copy text out of a comment to paste into layout
- Would expect that the cursor could be used to select all or part of an imported PDF comment
- In fact it is EXTREMELY difficult to get the palette to recognize that text is selected in the palette interface. The "Copy" popup does not appear a large proportion of the time, or you can't select the range of characters you need. Even though Acrobat is terrible at the same process, it is significantly faster to copy the needed range of characters from the comment in Acrobat and switch back to ID to paste.
Thank you for reporting the issue.
We are looking into it.
Matthew King commented
Imported PDF comment icons block out text for editing, rendering the edit difficult to execute since the text is hidden.
When I hit the "copy" button, in addition to ALL of the text in the comment, it's including the date and initials/name of the commenter. I can't think of a time when I'd want to paste that information into my document when I'm trying to make a text correction.
Would be great if we could select just a portion of the text and copy, but if we hit the "copy" button without highlighting first, it should just copy the comment, not date/commenter info.
I've just worked through a document after importing PDF comments. While in the main, the feature is really good, I am encountering poor copy text functionality from the PDF commenting panel. I have to try and select the text in the hope that 'copy' flag appears before I can copy it. Selecting certain parts of the text is difficult, but also noted that parts of the copy in the comment, even though not selected, are being included in the copied text including the date stamp (XX/XX) in the lower left corner as well as user name that applied the amendment – not great when it's a hyperlink you are copying. This needs to be made easier with a distinct colour highlighting in the comment box of what text is recognised to be actually copied. At the moment, it is very fiddly taking three to four attempts in some cases to copy the text you actually require.
My client will sometimes use the note tool to write an instruction to me and include a long chunk of text to add to the ID file. If their note is so long that it requires me to SCROLL through the PDF Comments list, ID doesn't permit me to scroll and select all the text in the note. It will only let me select and copy what is visible in the window.
My workaround on notes is to open up the PDF in Acrobat and copy them over to ID from there.... the old way.
C W commented
1. ID 14
2. Import edits from PDF to a text box that overlays another text box, in this case strikethroughs of text on the TOP BOX
3. Select "Apply" to edit
4. Edits are made TO THE LAYER BELOW.
See screen dumps.
1: what the edit looks like in Acrobat.
2: what the ID file looks like with the PDF edit imported -- not visible.
3: what the ID file looks like when the caption is resized for clarity -- ID is applying the edits to the text on the LAYER BELOW.