Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Can't share from Adobe Comp CC on the iPad (which is the whole reason I signed up for a trial)

Sharing to InDesign causes Comp CC to Crash! The whole reason I signed up for the InDesign trial is to see how it works with Comp. Please fix or extend my trial until this has ben handled!

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

20 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Objects on the page jump if a left-hand page becomes a right-hand page and vice versa

Hi developers,
    this is a longstanding bug:

With facing pages documents on EVERY document page there is a zone where jumping of objects will happen.

I call this the jump zone. All objects on a page that will jump are clearly inside the page's area. The bug has nothing to do with rounding errors where object edges are at the edge of a page.

The objects should not move if pages are added or removed, if numbering of pages is changing. Nevertheless they do. Always. Unless, the zone has a width of zero.

Below all the details.

What is a…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Based-on Master Pages don't inherit Primary Text Frame

When we create new documents with facing pages and Primary Text Frames on, new master pages are then created based on that original master page.

I would expect them to inherit the same threading and Primary Text Frame designation as the original, but they don't. Only the text frame on the right hand master page is designated as part of the primary text flow, and the frames are no longer threaded. Designers have to check every based-on master, re-designate the primary text flow, and re-thread the frames.

The steps to reproduce are:
    1. Create a new document with Facing Pages…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Copy a object in InDesign by holding down the alt-key and move obect with the mouse doesn-t work with InDesign CC18 aunder MacOS High Sierra

Copying an object in InDesign by holding down the alt-key and moving the object with the mouse doesn't work any more with InDesign CC18 under MacOS High Sierra. For me this is (has been ..) a key function in InDesign!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Prompted to save with no changes made to document

InDesign CC

I open a saved document in InDesign, but have no made any changes or touched the document at all. InDesign puts the asterisk next to my file anyways, prompting me to save upon exit. But no changes have been made. This is very annoying because I don't know if a change has been made or the program is messing up. I then have to update all of my PDF exports just to be safe.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

6. search document and all documents

Since today's update (03/15/2018) in Indesign CC2018. The Search Box, even if you chose "Document" or "All documents" only performs searches in "Story"

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have tried the scenario on latest InDesign 13.1 and we are able to find the in “document” “all document” as set in dialog without any problem.
    Please elaborate the steps for reproducing the issue. That would be really helpful.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

7. Bug with search and replace on locked layers

Hi all,
    it seems I’ve found an InDesign bug that is creating some problem on a project for a customer.
    I have a document with a table nested inside another table, the layer is locked but I’m able to find the text inside the nested table even if the “search on locked layer” is inactive.
    I can also apply another paragraph style to the text inside the nested table (with the layer locked) and this is causing some problem because I need to change the styles of the text of unlocked layers with a script.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. primary text frames threading is not honored on document pages

1. Adobe InDesign 15.0.1 x64 (Windows 10)

2. Facing pages document. I create a master page that includes two text frames per page--creating a two column spread on each page. I designate the leftmost frame as the primary text frame, and then manually link it to the frame just to its right. That frame is then linked to the leftmost frame on the right side page, and that one is linked to the frame furthest to the right. So the frames are linked, from left to right: frame 1 is primary, which is linked to frame 2, then to frame 3 (on…
    3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Save functions unavailable

I'm using a Mac and running Catalina, have ID 2020. Yesterday, an existing file of 33 pages stopped allowing me to save it. I had no idea it wasn't saving and lost hours worth of work by the time I realized what was happening. I tried starting a new document and pasting the text into it, but same problem. I started a new document again and it allowed me to save immediately, but the second I dropped in text (different text this time), I lost the ability to save the file. I can export to PDF or IDML, but cannot…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Duplicating Pages scales down content

Duplicating Pages scales down content. I haven't figured out why this happens as it doesn't happen with all documents.

It shouldn't happen with any document, however. It's just duplicating a page. Should not transform in any way.

• Adobe InDesign 15.0 (has happened with earlier versions as well)

Screencast video: https://cl.ly/5f8054d781a5

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Source Serif Pro font baseline not consistent

I'm using Indesign 15.0 on MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) running Mojave version 10.14.6

I'm experiencing a bug with the Source Serif Pro font , which I use extensively in a particular project.

I open an existing document, and the text in Source Serif Pro looks as you'd expect it to. When I start to edit the text however, it all jumps down as if the baseline settings of the text frame has been changed (although checking in the settings confirms they haven't been).

Copying and pasting the frame, or the text into a new frame, doesn't help.

It only…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Saving document presets always changes back to pica units

When creating and saving new document presets, despite choosing a different unit such as inches or points, after hitting the save button, the document preset is only saved in picas unit measurement

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Moving a page in the Pages tab moves half the contents on the page

When you move a page (in the 'Pages' tab) half of the contents will move 3mm off like it's connected to the bleed on the background image, but half won't. My work around at the moment is to: create a new page > copy & paste in place.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. insert Previous or Next page number does not work

insert Previous or Next page number does not work. I want to have folios of "Pages 1 and 2" where I need to have the next page#. Inserting a marker (previous page or Next page results in the current page number.

Mac version 14.03

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Can't duplicate and drag pages in pages panel

If I select pages in the pages panel, drag and duplicate to sit somewhere else within the document, it wont duplicate. Even though the + symbol appears as I drag, it only moves the selected pages within the document, it doesn't make duplicates/ Only if I drag and duplicate to sit at the very end of the document, will this actually duplicate. This is the first I've noticed this bug today.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

16. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Opening Files InDesgin Freezes

Adobe InDesign CC 2020 15.0.01 Mac

Trying to open a file that was packaged in Indesign CC 2018, When opening Indesign Freezes and does nothing.

Expected result: opening a file correctly with minor delay
    Actual Result: Indesign just freezes.

NOTE: in the video an other file that i tried to open earlier but after force quiting the file opens as an Untitled file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. next page doesn't work

Hi there,

When inserting Type=>Special Characters=>Marker=>Next page InDesign inserts the CM marker which is the current page. Consequently where I need the next page number to appear it displays the current page number.

Kind regards
    Mike Howell

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The text frame containing the Next Page Number Marker has to just touch the text frame and the correct page number gets picked. No need to link the text frames together. Just the fact that it touches the text frame will make it automatically pick the correct next page number that the text flows to in the document.

Hope that helps.

Adobe InDesign team

19. Presentation

When changing to the presentation mode the side visualization glitches. Same happen when I want to scroll through some pages. Even if the first page looks finde the second one isn't.
    With only one side the problem isn't there every time I use the presentation mode. But you can see the visualization glitch for a seconds before it goes back to normal.

MacBook Pro 2019 16"
    2,3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
    64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 / AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
    macOS Catalina 10.15.2
    InDesign 2020 15.0.1

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Moving pages cause the shift of the pages moved

Is a big problem: when moving pages from different Documents with the same options, master pages and Layouts the pages moved are shifted (to the left or to the right).
    I've made an Example in the attached Files.
    1.png shows the way I move the last two pages of the document to the other document (identical copy of the same file).
    2.png shows the pages moved in the second document (they should be the same but the imported ones are shifted by a few millimeters).
    For documents where you have to import hundreds of pages it is very frustrating to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base