Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

360 results found

1. Can't duplicate and drag pages in pages panel

If I select pages in the pages panel, drag and duplicate to sit somewhere else within the document, it wont duplicate. Even though the + symbol appears as I drag, it only moves the selected pages within the document, it doesn't make duplicates/ Only if I drag and duplicate to sit at the very end of the document, will this actually duplicate. This is the first I've noticed this bug today.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

2. Copy a object in InDesign by holding down the alt-key and move obect with the mouse doesn-t work with InDesign CC18 aunder MacOS High Sierra

Copying an object in InDesign by holding down the alt-key and moving the object with the mouse doesn't work any more with InDesign CC18 under MacOS High Sierra. For me this is (has been ..) a key function in InDesign!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. current page marker font malfunction if 3 digits or more

The third digit and beyond in the "current page number" marker is distorted in certain fonts, and almost appears to be an old style number (shifted down and squished), even when I set the font's Figure Style to "Proportional Lining" under Paragraph Style > OpenType Features > Figure Style. In fact, it also seems to do it in automated footnote reference numbers, where control of the Figure Style doesn’t seem to work either. However, when I just type out the number using the same style, it appears correct. This issue appears to be in Adobe InDesign 2024 (19.3), but when…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. HarfBuzz introduced in v2024 is not honouring the spacings properly

Harfbaaz text engine is not taking care of spacings properly specially when using Arabic or Urdu script. Files attached before and after. Without harfbaaz, settings look more natural. On tweaking the settings further does not make much difference.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Cannot order Parent Pages

In InDesign 2023 (v18.0) on an Intel Apple (macOS Monterey 12.6.1) it is impossible to reorder Parent Pages. This is possible in earlier versions. Please fix.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Document.metadataPreferences and linkXMP entries only return first delimited value

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Create new Indesign document
    2. Choose File menu > File Info
    3. In the Author field, enter "Jack; Jill" (excluding quotes)
    4. Click OK
    5. Run script "alert(app.activeDocument.metadataPreferences.author);"

Result:
    "Jack"

Expected result:
    Either "Jack; Jill" or ["Jack","Jill"]

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. switching between open files

Version 17.1
    Every time I have two ID files open (or more than one file), switching between them takes approximately 30 seconds. This has been happening on and off for a few months, but now happens every time I have more than one file open.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. On master page spread, items get applied to the wrong page

Say I have a two-page master, with facing pages turned on.
    And say I have a rectangle spanning the top edge of my left page, and say the right page is empty.

When I apply this master to a right sided page (thus using only the right side master), the left rectangle will be rendered onto the left page, even though it shouldn't (as the rectangle belongs to the left handed master, which isn't applied).

This happens when the rectangle is touching the spine, and it's probably rendered by indesign as being part of the right master.
    This happens even…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. iCloud drive

inDesign thinks links are gone when files are being stored in iCloud Drive (even though the cloud version is still in the same folder on my computer). Please allow inDesign to download linked files in iCloud Drive automatically so I don't have to download and relink manually.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Some spreads gone grey and only export as blank pages in 15.1.1

I have a 48-page magazine about to go to print and three spreads have suddenly gone grey - as you see in screenshot. In the Pages panel they appear blank and when I export them - also blank. Getting worried...

Separately, the "Fit Page/Spread in Window" instead zooms in to 2,642% magnification.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. primary text frames threading is not honored on document pages

1. Adobe InDesign 15.0.1 x64 (Windows 10)
    2. Facing pages document. I create a master page that includes two text frames per page--creating a two column spread on each page. I designate the leftmost frame as the primary text frame, and then manually link it to the frame just to its right. That frame is then linked to the leftmost frame on the right side page, and that one is linked to the frame furthest to the right. So the frames are linked, from left to right: frame 1 is primary, which is linked to frame 2, then to frame 3 (on…
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Source Serif Pro font baseline not consistent

I'm using Indesign 15.0 on MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) running Mojave version 10.14.6

I'm experiencing a bug with the Source Serif Pro font , which I use extensively in a particular project.

I open an existing document, and the text in Source Serif Pro looks as you'd expect it to. When I start to edit the text however, it all jumps down as if the baseline settings of the text frame has been changed (although checking in the settings confirms they haven't been).

Copying and pasting the frame, or the text into a new frame, doesn't help.

It only…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi
    We are looking into the issue.
    Seems there is some discrepancy in font information of the font present in Typekit and that on Google fonts.

Thanks

13. Footnote split options create blank pages

When I enable the INDESIGN footnote split option. Its create blank pages with linked story.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Master Page

When setting up multiple 2 page spread master pages, there is an issue with graphics overlapping onto other master pages when 'Facing Pages' is switched on.

For example - Master Page A is blank, and Master Page B has a green box along the top of the page.

When the Master Page A is placed next to a Master Page B, the green box graphic spreads onto Master Page A as well.

Please see the attached screen shots for clearer explanation.

Thanks

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of bug fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?

Adobe InDesign Team

15. search document and all documents

Since today's update (03/15/2018) in Indesign CC2018. The Search Box, even if you chose "Document" or "All documents" only performs searches in "Story"

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have tried the scenario on latest InDesign 13.1 and we are able to find the in “document” “all document” as set in dialog without any problem.
    Please elaborate the steps for reproducing the issue. That would be really helpful.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

16. Bug with search and replace on locked layers

Hi all,
    it seems I’ve found an InDesign bug that is creating some problem on a project for a customer.
    I have a document with a table nested inside another table, the layer is locked but I’m able to find the text inside the nested table even if the “search on locked layer” is inactive.
    I can also apply another paragraph style to the text inside the nested table (with the layer locked) and this is causing some problem because I need to change the styles of the text of unlocked layers with a script.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Running Header Removes ZWNJ (Zero-width non-joiner) Character (U+200C)

I want to use Running Header to have the section name at the top of the pages.
    The section title has Zwnj character (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-width_non-joiner) but running header removes this character (U+200C).
    for more information see the attached image

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Try opening the document with other option (File→Open(Copy))
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Please share sample document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

18. Crop tool namings for german version are irritating

A view months ago I was posting this issue to the community board already. :-) Thanks to Mr. Tyson for directing me to this page here:

Dear InDesign team,

please take a look on https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/placing-graphics.html
    The assistance describes the differences between the three boxes named "crop", "trim" and "bleed".

Well, in English there is no mistake if I'm going to import a PDF into my InDesign document, e.g. I'd like to display the final cutted format, than I choose for "Trim" or if I need to prepare a page for professional print shops than choosing "Bleed".

But in the german…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Unable to see Preset Templates in New Document

When I try to open a New Document and find a template, all I can see are black boxes with a description. If I click on Preview I do not get one. Please see screenshot. How can I fix this?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Major delay when changing page via the page up/down or double-clicking on the page icon

Major delay when changing page via the page up/down or double-clicking on the page icon. Usually happens when you have first opened a document. For example when you apply the keyboard command Opt-Pagedown, the icon on the bottom left of the screen immediately shows the page has changed but nothing happens. Sometimes it wont redraw the new page until you click on the screen and this only works after some time has passed (approx 6-8 seconds after). This was always instant in previous versions. My settings for view are on >Typical and I have Type Contextual Control set to >OFF.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base