Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

364 results found

1. 2022 gpu

InDesign CC2022 - v 17.3 on Mac Mini with Intel UHD Graphics 630 BenQ dual displays attached.

Multiple users reporting screen redraw issues with GPU Performance turned on.
    Resolves with a view change or toggling GPU off an on.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Data Merge to PDF duplicating fields

When using Export to PDF directly from the Data Merge tab the first 3 records are duplicated on each page. It uses the same data on every single page. If you first create an InDesign merged document the data is correct

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Vector Objects changing size when page layout is duplicated

While using InDesign v17 I've encountered a bug where some small rectangular vector objects will get larger when a page is duplicated using the "Create Alternate Layout" feature in the "Pages" tab. This has also occurred when a page or layout is dragged and dropped to the "Create New Page" icon to create a duplicate in the "Pages" tab. Design elements should not change when a layout is duplicated, and this did not happen in previous versions.

This first appeared in an .idml file that was created in 2019, and carries over to new files based on that .idml. It…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Can't Duplicate multiple Page with Alt + Drag and place them in a specific place just moves to bottom

This used to work but the past years updates have stopped this function, again another thing that worked removed! You used to be able to shift click on a few pages in the pages panel then alt drag them and place them ANYWHERE in the document, sometimes i liked them straight underneath current pages but now for some unknown reason its doesn't allow me to do this with more than one page? when you try to move the selected pages nothing happens and the pages are just duplicated at the end of the document not very helpful with a 100…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Page tool doesn't allow me to align Pages in Spread.

When i Disallow Document Pages to Shuffle and Mix 3 Pages in One Spread, lets say as an Example i Want to make a cover, the Page tool doesn't let me align the pages if i need it to, please see the video.

My InDesign Version is InDesign 2021 - 16.1.x64 - Running on Windows 10 Pro - X64

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Choose Anchor point when changing Document size

When changing the Document Size, Id always crops/adds equal parts on all sides. It would be nice to choose whether to crop to center or from a specific corner or side (see the Photoshop Legacy Crop interface)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Footnote rule styling lost when split

I have set up formatting for the Rule On line above my footnotes, but when the notes auto-split across pages, the line that is automatically created for the following page has a totally different, default, non-editable format. How do I make auto-appearing lines consistent with the line format I have set in Footnote Options?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Remove blank lines not working in 2021

Since upgrading to 2021, the "Remove blank lines" in the data merge section is no longer working. Please help

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. ruler guide disappears when deselecting

When dragging a new ruler guide, it disappears after deselecting it. This only occurs when you've placed it on a major gridline.

v. 15.0.2

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Import Word file - cannot set 'Import as Static Text' as Default Preset

When I import a Word document I want the option 'Import as Static Text' ticked all the time.

The problem is that if I tick 'Import as Static Text' and make it a new Default Preset, InDesign remembers this until I quit InDesign and then relaunch it. The relaunched InDesign doesn't remember it - it remembers the Preset name, but it doesn't remember to tick 'Import as Static Text'.

This happens in CC2019 and CC2020. Could you please fix it so that the Preset you make remembers to keep 'Import as Static Text' ticked all the time, even when you…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Save functions unavailable

I'm using a Mac and running Catalina, have ID 2020. Yesterday, an existing file of 33 pages stopped allowing me to save it. I had no idea it wasn't saving and lost hours worth of work by the time I realized what was happening. I tried starting a new document and pasting the text into it, but same problem. I started a new document again and it allowed me to save immediately, but the second I dropped in text (different text this time), I lost the ability to save the file. I can export to PDF or IDML, but cannot…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Moving pages cause the shift of the pages moved

Is a big problem: when moving pages from different Documents with the same options, master pages and Layouts the pages moved are shifted (to the left or to the right).
    I've made an Example in the attached Files.
    1.png shows the way I move the last two pages of the document to the other document (identical copy of the same file).
    2.png shows the pages moved in the second document (they should be the same but the imported ones are shifted by a few millimeters).
    For documents where you have to import hundreds of pages it is very frustrating to…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. opens two documents

When i open a document a random second document opens, usually something i had been working on earlier. Double click file A and it opens, and then File Z opens as well without the command to do so

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Moving a page in the Pages tab moves half the contents on the page

When you move a page (in the 'Pages' tab) half of the contents will move 3mm off like it's connected to the bleed on the background image, but half won't. My work around at the moment is to: create a new page > copy & paste in place.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. pasteboard changes size when pasting things

InDesign CC 14.0.1 x64

Pasting things sometimes changes the size of the pasteboard drastically. Pasteboard margins could be set at 10 in and 10 in and they change to a few inches horizontally and less than an inch vertically. We keep things on the pasteboard. This causes us to fix the pasteboard size many times throughout the day in multiple documents. Over and over again.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Document size change/Master page elements appearing on pages where no master page is applied

When changing the page size in Document Setup and ensuring that adjust layout is not selected, master page elements are showing up on pages where master pages are not applied.

Version: INDD CC 2019

Steps to Reproduce: (this does not happen in all cases) In this instance, I changed the document page size in document set up and ensured "Adjust layout" was not selected.

Expected Result: The document page size would change throughout, keeping the same layout as/properties as before.

Actual Result: Master page elements were applied to pages that did not have the master page applied (i.e. header on…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

18. Hyperlink shows up red in hyperlinks panel despite the URL working

The following URL shows up in the hyperlinks panel as red (meaning it should not work) but actually works when a PDF is made:
    https://academic.oup.com/journals
    This is the same for any links based on the above URL.
    Is there anything that would cause this?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Pasteboard size difference between CC 2017 and 2018 causes page view jump

This occurs when I begin to work on a document that was made in a previous version of InDesign, which by default had smaller top and bottom pasteboard margins. The first actual action I perform on a spread — not just clicking; something like moving an object, editing text and deselecting the text box, or creating a new object — causes the pasteboard to increase in size vertically to what I presume is the new default, which also causes the page view itself to jump down. This only happens on the active spread. This also produces a graphical error if…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, start a new thread by adding all the relevant details. We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base