Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

375 results found

1. Alert is shown on opening documents in InDesign(v19.4.0.63) - "This file is already open by another user or another application."

After updating InDesign to V19.4, I'm now locked out of many of my previous design files. I'm receiving the error, "This file is already open by another user or another application. This file may be stored on a network server and cannot be opened until the other user closes it."

I reinstalled V19.3 and can now access these old files but I would prefer to use the most up to date version if possible. happy to provide a sample if needed.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2024(v19.5.0.084). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Data merge not working for absolute paths on macOS

With the latest update of 19.4, image paths no longer work for merge documents. I installed the latest update, which went back to 19.3, and have had no issues; therefore, I have isolated the issue with the update. I currently usean Excell file with an image field and the path to the image associated with each record. I have not changed anything in the file but with the new update I get the error message indicating the file is missing.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2024(v19.5.0.084). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

Kindly update the data source file with the POSIX style path in Macintosh to work with data merge functionality smoothly. Please refer to the helpx https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/data-merge.html to know more about the difference between HFS and Posix style paths.

You can get the actual POSIX path of a file by right-click it in the Finder while holding Option (or right-click, then press Option) > Copy as pathname menu. This can help you explore the correct POSIX paths to ensure you're using them correctly.

Note: Relative path as such /<foldername>/<filename> is no longer supported after the fix, as it considers the starting “/” as an absolute path. Instead, the recommendation is to omit the starting “/” and use <foldername>/<filename> instead or any of the other existing ways to access the…

3. Adobe InDesign 2024(v19.0) - Users are facing issues while scrolling using Trackpad/Touchpad

I have installed the upgrade to Adobe InDesign 2024 (build 19.0) while keeping version 2023 (build 18.5) and have encountered the following problem:

• After opening a document, the mouse scroll wheel does not seem to work (i.e. it is not possible to scroll up or down the contents of a page). However, this condition still works in InDesign version 2023.

Has anyone encountered the same problem and found a solution?

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. current page marker font malfunction if 3 digits or more

The third digit and beyond in the "current page number" marker is distorted in certain fonts, and almost appears to be an old style number (shifted down and squished), even when I set the font's Figure Style to "Proportional Lining" under Paragraph Style > OpenType Features > Figure Style. In fact, it also seems to do it in automated footnote reference numbers, where control of the Figure Style doesn’t seem to work either. However, when I just type out the number using the same style, it appears correct. This issue appears to be in Adobe InDesign 2024 (19.3), but when…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Bug texto oculto

Ao inserir o texto para edição, mesmo que haja espaço na página, o texto fica oculto. Mesmo adicionando uma nova página em branco para seguir com a edição, o quadro de texto aparece em branco e o texto continua oculto. Esse bug ocorreu duas vezes durante a diagramação de um e-book em momentos aleatórios.

Em um primeiro momento pensei que fosse um bug com a quebra e página mas conferindo no "Editor de matérias" percebi que o problema não estava relacionado com a quebra da página.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. When duplicating page(s) the layout breaks

I'm on windows 11.
    Since updating to 19.4 i noticed that everytime i duplicate a page it moves my whole layout around. It happens not only if i alt drag the page, also if i right click duplicate and when i made an alternate layout in the page panel. It also doesn't matter if i lock a layer. Everything gets moved a little bit to the right or the left, to the top or bottom. Sometimes it also slightly scales an image i believe. The only thing i can do against it, is copy the whole spread and paste it…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Adobe Fonts messes with installed/added fonts

Indesign 2022 and 2024, Windows 10.
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. With "Adobe Fonts" not activated in the Cloud client, add fonts to Indesign's \Fonts folder and start. Good example font: Roboto. The is a truetype font from Google.
    2. Use any of the added fonts in a document and save. Close the document
    3. Activate Adobe Fonts in the cloud client and restart Indesign. In case any of the added fonts is also available on Adobe Fonts, they're overridden by the cloud font, as the symbol in the font list (Type menu), next to the font, changes once you open…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. InDesign black screen after I disconnect from the external monitor

Black screen in InDesign after disconnecting from external monitor. If I close InDesign and restart it, it works again. But that's very annoying for my colleagues and me.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Logical error: searching words in selected text with Find/Change unselects text

When using the Find/Change dialog to find text, there is an option to only search in a "Selection" of text. When the word is found, Indesign will mark that word, which would also unselect the text and no further search in the selection could be done. This is a logical bug.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. HarfBuzz introduced in v2024 is not honouring the spacings properly

Harfbaaz text engine is not taking care of spacings properly specially when using Arabic or Urdu script. Files attached before and after. Without harfbaaz, settings look more natural. On tweaking the settings further does not make much difference.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. footnote end article in InDesign 19.4

InDesign 19.4 | Sonoma | Mac M2Pro
    Incremential bug appears in article's note creation :
    When created, the new line (n+1) is full of text of precedent note !
    Line n become empty.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Design flaw and bug: empty table cells can have a font assigned

Found in: ID 2022
    If you have a table and put text into a cell, the text has at least one font assigned. When removing the text again, the cell becomes empty but seems to keep the font assignment, which is illogical. No text, no font. Later, if you open the document on another PC which doesn't have that font would cause a missing font issue for no reason.

Even worse: going into the "Find/replace font" dialog you can find the empty cell with the missing font, but you cannot fix it, because Change or Change all have no effect.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Request: import of layers when placing a child INDD

At the moment, there is only the option in the extended Place dialog to switch layers of the placed child INDD on or off. Switching layers of a child object should be possible in the parent INDD. Would be way more convenient than right-clicking every child object and select the Layer options.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Can't add a single page to the end of a document with spreads. Pages add at weird locations.

When I try to add single page to the end of a document with spreads, either nothing happens, it adds a spread, the single page adds itself to the second spread instead of at the end, or if I try to delete a page, InDesign crashes. This on top of not being able to save PDF settings, and not being able to rearrange the "parent" pages.

I'm reverting back to 2023. 2024 is nothing but bugs. Had enough.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Request: import of conditions of conditional text when placing an INDD

When placing an INDD in another document, layers of the placed INDD are imported, so content in the placed INDD can be hidden or unhidden. The same doesn't work with conditional text, but the principle is the same. Hide/unhide text, for instance in a table, by switching conditions. Handling this by using layers is possible, but way more effortive.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Some pages/spreads are turning black/gray and page numbers are registering as PB

When scrolling through a document, the backgrounds on some pages turn black/gray, and the page numbers on those pages register as "PB" instead of the correct page number.

Restarting InDesign did not solve the problem, and opening the file in regular InDesign also did not correct the problem. I could only recover the file by saving it as a .idml and reopening it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Placing a Word document into Indesign not working

When attempting to load a Microsoft Word document into am Indesign document All I get is the title then 3 blank pages. The word document is 43 pages, A5, long and contains some images. I am using Place and Shift Click to place it into the document. I have attache the word document here.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Wrong alphaphetic order in index

Alphaphetic index order is wrong in Finnish InDesign 19.3.

For example this is the result:

Koivu, Jukka 143, 208, 209
    Koivula, Pauli 80
    Koivu, Saku 132, 142
    Koivusalo, Timo 110, 111
    Koivu, Tuire 143
    Kolmonen, Jaakko 17, 18

Should be this:

Koivu, Jukka 143, 208, 209
    Koivu, Saku 132, 142
    Koivu, Tuire 143
    Koivula, Pauli 80
    Koivusalo, Timo 110, 111
    Kolmonen, Jaakko 17, 18

Also the W-beginnings word should be in own section, not in V-beginnings.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Mac OS. The floating windows for Text Wrap, Paragraph, etc. go blank over time.

Mac OS 14.3.1. InDesign 19.3. The floating windows for Text Wrap, Paragraph, and possibly others go blank over time. The only way to fix it is to quit, and relaunch while deleting preferences. Then preferences have to be redone. This has been happening for several years, over several operating systems, many InDesign versions, and at least two different iMacs.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Page Label Not Inherited from Parent to Document Page

I'm assigning a page label to a parent page using by script like

myParentPage=app.activeDocument.masterSpreads.itemByName("PRD-Products").pages[0];
    myParentPage.insertLabel("page", "products");

When I insert a new document page based on this parent page, the page label is NOT inherited but just empty.

WIN 11 Pro, ID 19.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19