Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

  1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

7733 results found

  1. master override

    Applied master pages (spread) to all pages which includes a table along page edges for navigation. On a normal page when I attempt to override by Ctrl+Shift click the edge table from the master element to override, Indesign hangs or crashes and prompts a crash report. Only happening on the left side page of the spreads for some reason???

    The subsequent launch of the program also crashes, I assume because it attempts to resume. Using the recovered version will not launch either. Must remove recovery data.

    2 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    As per the customer, the issue was specific to a document and rebuilding the master page items solved the issue.

    Adobe InDesign Team

  2. InDesign CC 2018 UK dictionary is wrong

    The UK dictionary in InDesign CC 2018 is wrong. It is recognizing both American and British spellings of certain words as correct. The biggest issues I've found so far are "iz" versus "is" spellings (e.g. capitalize/capitalise) and words that need an extra "e" (e.g. ageing). I have all text boxes in my document set to UK English, and spellcheck is finding certain misspellings (e.g. "or" versus "our"), but not others.

    This is a major problem for those of us who regularly have to "translate" text from American English to UK English. Is there a way to import a better UK…

    3 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. InDesign 13.0.1 can not follow an alias on a server share anymore

    InDesign 13.0.1 on a apple mac running 10.13.3 does not recognize alias (links) on a server share anymore. Photoshop still does.

    Steps: Go to a server share, no matter if an smb or afp share.
    Create a folder A. Place an file inside, e. g. 1.jpeg
    .
    Create an alias from folder A => A alias.
    In InDesign choose OPEN:
    Go to the server share
    The Folder A is in black typo an available. Highlight A and you see the file.
    The Alias A alias is gray, InDesign does not recognize the link.
    Do the same in Photoshop, you will…

    8 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    If you create an alias of a folder (located on a server) and drag it to the desktop, it works. For quick creation of aliases this way, press Option-Command while you drag the original item to the desktop.
    Note : Accessing items of an folder’s alias located on a server has not worked in previous releases of InDesign too.

  4. Error Code 6: Could not complete your request because of a database error. The file <filename> is damaged

    Working off remotely off a server (been doing it this way for years without issue). Today, I tried to open my InDesign file and it only partially loaded (with some linked images missing). Then I get the prompt "Could not complete your request because of a database error. The file "Ebook-3WaysToHoseYourAD-US-GM-32410.indd" is damaged (Error code:6).

    What can I do to restore my file?

    2 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When I try to switch between blending modes in the panel - I do not see the changes in real time in the file. I have to click outside the wi

    When I try to switch between blending modes in the effects panel - I do not see the changes in real time in the file.
    I have to click outside the window every time to see what it looks like

    2 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. presentation mode toggle stuck on black background

    InDesign v. 13.0.1
    shift + w for presentation mode
    shift +w to escape presentation mode

    expected result: user interface would return to Preferences provided in the application (white or gray respectively)

    actual result: shortcut key to change the background of presentation mode does not work.

    2 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. XML output from CC2018 lacks Optimized image path

    When exporting XML from InDesign you can choose to export optimized images. In CC2017 and earlier the image element would include a href_opt attribute with the path to the exported optimized image.

    In CC2018, this attribute is not included.

    The href_FMT and href attributes do carry through.

    2 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Publish Online Dialog Box is Completely Blanked Out Except Top Border and Minimize X

    While in InDesign CC 2018 (13.0.1 x64) and selecting the "Publish Online" button or drop down menu command, the dialog box that pops up is completely blacked out. The only discernable features are the border and the "X" to close out of the dialog box. When hovering the mouse over the dialog box, it responds in ways that alert you to the fact all the features are still there and active - you just cant see them. The text field curser and the hand with a pointing finger appear at different spots. To see what would happen, I clicked in…

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. [ID-4219717]Colors are displayed differently between pages

    InDesign 13.0.1 on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) OS 10.13.3

    Open a CMYK document. Place an sRGB file on page 1. Place the same (or copy) on page 2.

    Expected: the colors on both pages look the same.

    Actual result: With color-proof switched off, the colors on page 1 show as if color-proof turned on while on page 2 the colors show correctly. See screenshots with the same files on 2 pages. I changed nothing I just moved the picture from one page to the other.
    With color-proof turned on all pages look like page 1.

    25 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 4 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

    To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

    We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

    We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

    If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

    —
    Adobe InDesign Team

  13. Texte disappear when replacing font by another using Find a font in the Texte menu

    Using the command "Search for a font" in the "Text Menu" to replace a font (Times New Roman for example) by another (Adobe Garamond Pro for example), the texte disappear, it is erased if I valid "Replace All".
    I have to verify it works for the first occurrences before to validate "Replace All" to be sure the bug will not occur.
    This is very insecure if we don't verify and trust the command "eyes closed" !

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 133 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. [ID-4261148] Character style "Include Html Class" check box removes the whole tag

    The "Include Classes in HTML" checkbox doesn't work for Character Styles. Whereas paragraph styles and object style export without the class, character styles actually export without the tag at all—losing any formatting for that style. This is the case both in HTML and EPUB export.

    9 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Place Multipage PDF script not performing how it should

    Hi,

    I am experiencing trouble within my InDesign using the "PlaceMultipagePDF" java script under the scripts panel. My issue is that when I go to choose my file for my document and choose which page I want the PDF to start on (like page 5 out of 130) it no longer goes to the page I choose, but adds on top of the content on the last page (like page 105) and adds extra pages with the rest of the import of the pdf at the END of the document and not the one I chose.

    Thughts?

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Fast save is taking 37 seconds

    I imported a Word file that has a lot of linked footnotes into InDesign 2018. Spread by spread, I touch each paragraph to fix overrides. There is no reflow of text when I do this step. Yet when I do a plain "save" before going to the next spread, InDesign is taking 37 seconds to save. 37 seconds of watching the rainbow spin. InDesign is acting like it is reflowing every page in the background as it quick saves. That should not be necessary. The last time I experienced this type of slowness was back in the PageMaker days. The…

    4 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Hyperlinks broken over two lines exports incorrectly to PDF

    Using InDesign CC 13.0.1, I have some urls in a paragraph that are fairly long so have to break over two lines, e.g.

    www.websiteaddress.com/subpage/
    pagename

    When I export to pdf, the link will just link to www.websiteaddress.com/subpage/ and the bit with "pagename" is ignored.

    I found similar problems posted online from a few years back and the workaround was to set your hyperlinks using the hyperlinks palette, not just rely on the pdf to detect the links automatically. I've done this manually to my document, but the problem persists. I can get the full link to work behind the first…

    11 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    7 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Page Hyperlinks Defaulting to page 1 when Exporting to PDF

    I have a multiple documents in a InDesign book. Each document has several page hyperlinks between all of the documents. I have exported this in the past and everything worked fine. Since updating to CC2018 the page hyperlinks no longer work. They all default to page 1.

    I had to update some image links and make some text changes so the books and documents are all now in CC2018. I do not see a way to save the indb file as a idml so I think I am stuck on CC 2018.

    I am exporting as a print pdf and…

    2 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. InDesign performance issue: Slow interface

    The new document window is painfully slow. The pallets such as the background task pallet take some visible time to initialise themselves. As a whole the UI is always lagging.

    I'm on a new iMac Pro and this is completely unacceptable. It feels as though the interface is getting in the way instead of making work easier.

    13 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?