Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6521 results found

1. "haven't" contraction hyphenating in English USA

Unlike most of the other common contractions in English, the word "haven't" hyphenates at the end of a line. It shouldn't.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. ^t

In InDesign, when I use the ^t shortcut to get the type control panel, I lock up and then have to go to Task Manager and close InDesign. (InDesign 14.0.1 x64, Windows 10 Enterprise Version: 1803)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Can't move multiple objects after 14.0.1 of Indesign. And it's sloooowww!

Trying to move multiple objects, mostly boxes of type. One or several items does not move although selected. Upon undo and trying to move again, other objects doesn't move. And it has gotten so slow but that might be after Mojave 10.14.3 and not Adobe :)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. numbered list

When a long numbered list extends to the next page, the first list on the next page will indent outside of the margins. To correct, I just reapply the style. It happens after closing and opening the document several times without me even working on that page. I'm having to check the exported PDF every time when I do an update to the file.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Export options locked

Hi., When customising the Workspace [ i.e. colouring menus and adding Panels to the Panel Dock ] on an Apple Mac, and then subsequently using File->Export, the Drop down list of Export formats are locked out [ i.e. I cannot go from PDF Print to any other format ]. To resolve I have to go back to one of the default Workspaces such as Essentials etc, and then the Dropdown can be accessed. This happens in all recent releases of InDesign including 2019. I imagine the root cause of the fault is more the colouring of the menus rather than…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking and "Auto-fit" options do not seem to work.

I am using Indesign 14.0

When I relink files, Indesign changes the scale and placement of images automatically, regardless of whether the preserve image dimensions option in the file handling box is checked or unchecked, and whether the "auto-fit" button in the tool menu is checked or uncheked.

Preferences > File Handling > "Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking"

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Keyboard input problem

Windows 10. ID 14.0.1
    This is similar to the 'missing first character' issue many of us have seen in the past. What happens, randomly, your keyboard input doesn't quite work. You can try various shortcuts and they simply will not work. You have to create (or go into) a text box, type some text.. and THEN keyboard shortcuts will suddenly work again.
    Acrobat does the same thing.
    Very annoying that when you think you've saved a file that it has NOT been saved.. you only find out when going to close a file that your 'ctrl S' did not work.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Importing Microsoft Word files doc. and .docx

Creative Cloud and Office 364 is up-to-date (although this issue happened before the upgrade so it has something to do with the import filter for .docx files into InDesign [this is the first occasion]).

While importing a .docx file, revisions from the word file appeared in the layout text. I noticed as I started to typeset. Scary.

Checked the Word file, upon Select All, references in the text were highlighted in a darker gray. There was no extra text appearing and revisions were all approved and accepted.

Word file was saved as a .dotx file and imported, the mysteriously embedded…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Can't import RAW fiels anymore

Usually I drag and drop from Lr to Id and it works well. From jpeg, dng, tiff, psd, raw files (CR2 Canon). But today it is not working.

Actual result below:

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Problem with drop shadow exposure when placing from Illustrator into Indesign

I am using the latest version of Indesign (14.0.1) and Illustrator (23.0.1).
    When placing a .ai file with transparency in Indesign and then making a drop shadow (in Indesign), the transparant parts of the object has the drop shadow above it, instead of beneath... :0

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Master pages can't be applied/loaded

Whenever I try to load/apply new master pages to a document, InDesign crashes. I have already rebootet and the same problem still appears. Also tried it on a coworkers computer and the problem is still there.
    New master pages can't be loaded/applied.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Short Cut Keys no longer work in Indesign 2019

Indesign 2019
    Most of the old standard short cut keys no longer work and I cannot find anywhere what the new ones are or if I can change to a legacy mode. I'm talking basic old school short cuts like "space" to bring up the hand tool temporarily and the "shift" key to proportionately scale an object. Can anyone help me out with this as my productivity is grinding to a halt and I am not happy one bit.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Indesign CC2018 crashes on Cmd-V

I'm working on my masters and using a Split Window to copy and paste text from the same document into a list of references. Cmd-V crashes Indesign. With no warning, or hang, it literally shows me the desktop, no save, nothing. Thankfully auto recover sorts it out, but this is something Adobe needs to look at. I can't tell if there is anything special about the text other than it was a web link and had a paragraph style.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

14. CC Library 2019 - Add new item and change it name

When I add item to CC Library 2019, and try change it name - all text (with lag!) is select and I losing my previeus text, becouse I still typing.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. resize object works rarely

It's already 2019. I've been reading comments from 2015 about this same issue. I downloaded the most current version of InDesign and unbelievably I still cannot resize an object on my MacbookPro by clicking on the shift button. It works occasionally (for some odd reason). This is totally ridiculous. I read dozens of complaints about this from 2015 and on. Seriously, Adobe? You cannot fix this issue once and for all.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Major lagging/hanging when typing text and selecting objects

InDesign 14.0.1; Windows 10

I was experiencing some major lag when typing text, up to 30 seconds. Even when text started to appear, words would appear only one letter at a time with significant delay in between. The problem then expanded to selecting and moving objects around on a page. InDesign for me has been unusable for the past few hours (Jan. 25, 2019 from 1:30 - 4:30pm EST). I even tried reverting back to version 14.0 and had no luck. Rebooted several times. I then went into my system restore and saw that earlier today a Microsoft Visual C++…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Properties Panel Missing in Indesign CC 2018 (v 14.0)

Properties Panel is not available under Window>

I'm on a Windows 10 Ent, Adobe Suite CC; Indesign 2018.

I have restarted the PC; deleted opm.db; tried different documents. BTW this is the first time I was using Indesign. I am working with the Adobe Tutorials.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Can't open .idap files

We can package .icap files and send them to the proofreader, but when we get the .idap files back we can't open them. We get the error "The selected package file requires an InDesign document “^1” that cannot be found."

Others seem to be having the same issue here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2551100
    The plugin listed in that forum thread does not fix the problem either.

The problem started when our team updated to CC 2019... had no problems until the update. We're on Apple's Mojave OS and 2019 InDesign.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Edges of images not showing

Edges of images (usually around a few mm) are randomly not showing in various documents, I have to nudge the image to make it appear - switching between display performance modes sometimes makes it display correctly, sometimes not. This has only been the case since the 2019 update.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. keeping cross references when updating linked data

In my file (IDCC2019), the technical data of the tables are imported from an Excel database. The index generated from these data works perfectly. But when updating these links, cross-references are removed. How to keep cross references when updating linked data?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base