Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6483 results found

1. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. After adjusting a link and renewing it, indesign fits automatically fits it to frame

I did notice that the link options weren't turned on properly but i turned them on and the result was the same.
    Also figured it might have to to with the auto-fit option but i double checked and it's not turned on... this is super annoying. I'm honestly afraid that it'll juggle everything about when i make a minor change.....

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Cyan swatch when pasting text

Cyan swatch won't go away. Delete it, change default paragraph shading, starting new document, evey time I paste text from another source (NOT Indesign - Acrobat, Word, plain text) the cyan swatch keeps reappearing. PLEASE fix this. Have upgraded to latest version and still won't stop.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. change of page dimensions won't resize alternate layout

changed page dimensions but indesign won't resize alternate layout
    changed to 5.5" from 5" and it won't re-size the alternate vertical layout.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

5. Bottom of Text Wrap is Incorrect

My body text doesn't wrap tightly to the bottom text wrap of my object like it does at the top (see gap between text wrap and start of body text).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. If Paragraph Format uses Shade, only the first line is underlined (instead of all) (Layer Problem!)

Its not a suggestion, its a bug.
    Under Indesign 13.1, when e.g. a whole page is styled to have a gray shade behind it, and some paragraphs have to be undelined, then ALWAYS the Line before a hard return does not show the underline, because I suppose a layer problem occurs. Indesign seems to see the text on top, then applies the shade and under that the underlining for the text, which won't be shown then. The descenders are shown normally, since they are on top in the text layer. I have not found a way to tell the underline…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Please can you add some links that have some images/ videos showing the problem you are facing. You can also mail them at amaarora@adobe.com

As seen in the attached screenshot (pic1.png), i am unable to see the issue.

-Aman

7. Hyperlinks broken over two lines exports incorrectly to PDF

Using InDesign CC 13.0.1, I have some urls in a paragraph that are fairly long so have to break over two lines, e.g.

www.websiteaddress.com/subpage/
    pagename

When I export to pdf, the link will just link to www.websiteaddress.com/subpage/ and the bit with "pagename" is ignored.

I found similar problems posted online from a few years back and the workaround was to set your hyperlinks using the hyperlinks palette, not just rely on the pdf to detect the links automatically. I've done this manually to my document, but the problem persists. I can get the full link to work behind the first…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Applying a paragraph style causes text to appear duplicated on screen, but it's not really.

CC 2018, OS High Sierra, both most current, brand new install on a brand new iMac Pro.

If I apply a style using a key command, 90% of the time the text from the cursor down goes crazy, looks duplicated. But if I hit the key command again, or click off the paragraph, or scroll, it goes away and is normal. So it's not really duplicating anything as far as I can tell. I screen captured exactly what it looks like.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Rounded corners aren't perfectly rounded

Why aren't rounded corners perfectly rounded? I created a 100x100px square, rounded the corners to 50px which should give me a perfect circle except it doesn't.

46 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

10. Basic Functionality breaking on each update

i am really annoyed that Indesign keeps breaking basic functionality when it makes an update. I have used paste without formatting for years without incidence and now it doesn't always work when I need it.

Typing in new frames requires 2 clicks and requires a tweak to the settings to work right?!

I don't want any new functionality if it is going to break things like typing and pasting, many things that used to be one click are now many. That is not how this should work!!!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Recent Files thumbails don't match corresponding documents

When choosing an ID document to open from the "recent files" screen, the wrong file opens; i.e., the document that opens does not match the document that I clicked on. Or, sometimes I get an error claiming that the document cannot be found, but the file is indeed right where I left it. This does not happen every time...sometimes the right document does open from the recent files screen, but not usually. This has only been happening to me only for the past week or two. I have not moved my files, changed folder names, replaced hard drives, or any…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Crashing when entering text in paragraph style name field

To get this crash...
    Duplicate an existing Paragraph Style via Panel drop down menu.

Select text in name field.

Type... crashes within the first couple of characters.

Message... Internal Error

Doesn't happen every time, but too often.

Adobe InDesign CC 2018

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

13. InDesign crashing when exporting book to pdf

Hi there. I just got updated InDesign through CC and am in the process of updating old files/documents created in CS5.5. Several of them are InDesign books including 6-10 separate documents (there are a couple books which share similar documents). I'm able to export the individual documents as a pdf just fine, but when I try to export the book it crashes. I've tried recreating the book with the same documents, but no luck. Other ideas?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

14. CC libraries

CC Libraries doesn't load up properly, the drop down menu only stays open if I hold down left click on the mouse and doesn't load the library I want when I release.

This bug has only come since the most recent update to CC2018 13.1. Running High Sierra on an iMac Pro 2017

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Character Style "Include Classes in HTML" checkbox removes whole tag

The "Include Classes in HTML" checkbox doesn't work for Character Styles. Whereas paragraph styles and object style export without the class, character styles actually export without the tag at all—losing any formatting for that style. This is the case both in HTML and EPUB export.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Publish Online download PDF kills buttons/interactivity

Steps to reproduce: post a Publish Online document, then click to download a PDF.

Expected result: all buttons and interactivity would remain.
    Actual result: all buttons disappear and all interactivity is lost. Occurs in both Chrome and Safari, on desktop and handhelds.
    Using ID 13.1 on Mac High Sierra.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign performance issue: Slow interface

The new document window is painfully slow. The pallets such as the background task pallet take some visible time to initialise themselves. As a whole the UI is always lagging.

I'm on a new iMac Pro and this is completely unacceptable. It feels as though the interface is getting in the way instead of making work easier.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. running headers does not show numbers

Running headers does not show the auto numbering for a paragraph style. This would be so much better to have this rather than using a third party plug-in. The best of which is no longer supported for CC.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. arabic

Cursor Direction when typing Arabic or other RTL languages. in Middle Eastern version ONLY.

1. All Middle Eastern versions (English يدعم العربية)

2. Type Arabic text. Place the cursor within text. Hold "Shift" key and click on right arrow key on the keyboard to select/highlight text. Cursor moves left and select next character on the left while clicking on right arrow.

3. To select a character to the left of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+left arrow) To select a character to the right of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+right arrow)

4. What actually is happening now and for over 20 years when…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. My InDesign CC window will not minimise into the dock?

Hi,

Not sure where to go with this one but I have just upgraded to Adobe CC and noticed that I'm unable to 'Minimise' the window in InDesign and also noticed that it won't do it in Illustrator but Photoshop does minimise (ODD!)

All it will do is when you double click it fills to fit screen and then the opposite.

I have posted this onto the forum and others have mentioned that they are also experiencing this problem.

(I have turned on the 'Double -click a windows title bar to minimize' in the System Preferences)

Please could you help…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?