Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6480 results found

1. 14.0.1 x64 running on Windows 10 Pro ver 17763.165 and when explorer is launched it makes the screen flicker and you cannot close InDesign

I'm running Win 10 Pro version 17763.165 and had iTunes open and had just started Adobe InDesign version 14.0.1 X64 and then launched win file explorer and that came up but then the explorer window kept flickering. It did it so much I couldn't close the window. Now I have settings open and the about window in InDesign froze and doesn't close. But some of this my be a design flaw in the Adobe program. Only way to close was by Task manager. Report also sent to MS support to let them know as this may be a beta build

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Content not updating when changes are committed

When making revisions to a layout—I'll use a table as an example—the table won't update to show a modification to the element (a row being deleted, for example). Only upon taking another action does the table reflect the user action. Until another action is taken, it will show the content as still being there. FYI: this bug has been present since the previous version of ID..

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. unable to change font, size, style in Script UI, alignment problem with Image on button

Unable to perform basic features such as changing of text Font, Styles, Sizes in CC's scriptUI.
    Alslo image in button way OFF alignment.

This result in uglier customized UIs than it's older versions.
    As the world population is getting older, the ability to have bigger font size and style is really needed.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue.
    We are reviewing it

-InDesign Team

4. Edit with other - doesn't see Photoshop as an application

I use the Indesign feature on the links menu to Edit With, either using the default application or another. We just updated to the latest CC (ps, il, in) and the other application isn't the same. For any jpg or pdf, it shows Photoshop or illustrator or Acrobat as available to open the image selected. However, if I select an ai. file, it shows Illustrator as the default, and Preview as another option - no Photoshop. I select Other to add Photoshop, go to the applications folders, click on Photoshop and it's only seeing it as a folder, not as…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Executing startup services

Latest version of CC2018. Intel 7th Gen i7 PC with 16gb memory and Nvidia GeForce 1050 video card.

All other applications installed and run properly but indesign is stuck on splash screen with Executing startup services... Only way to exit it is to run task manager and kill it.

Removed OOBE and restarted. Logged back into CC. Same issue. Don't want to reset my PC to factory (it's only a couple months old). Thanks Ben

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. InDesign 13.0.1 can not follow an alias on a server share anymore

InDesign 13.0.1 on a apple mac running 10.13.3 does not recognize alias (links) on a server share anymore. Photoshop still does.

Steps: Go to a server share, no matter if an smb or afp share.
    Create a folder A. Place an file inside, e. g. 1.jpeg
    Create an alias from folder A => A alias.
    In InDesign choose OPEN:
    Go to the server share
    The Folder A is in black typo an available. Highlight A and you see the file.
    The Alias A alias is gray, InDesign does not recognize the link.
    Do the same in Photoshop, you will…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If you create an alias of a folder (located on a server) and drag it to the desktop, it works. For quick creation of aliases this way, press Option-Command while you drag the original item to the desktop.
    Note : Accessing items of an folder’s alias located on a server has not worked in previous releases of InDesign too.

7. BUG: Imported InDesign file gives wrong preview

When I create an InDesign 'web'-file and apply a gradient feather the preview of this file does not show the elements which have the effect applied to.
    When I create a new 'print'file with the same dimensions and elements the preview is correct.
    It seems strange that these files seem different in their backbone somehow.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Make editing text faster

When I want to, for example, remove all "m2" from "### m2" in table rows (20+ rows of table), I have to slow down my clicking, because InDesign doesn't register a selection change (double click to select), if I do it too fast. Woud be good if it was instantaneous like Word.
    My process: 1. Double click to select m2. 2. Press backspace or delete. 3. Double click to select next m2. And so on.

I know I could find-replace, but sometimes I don't want to set up a find and replace. And it just a little annoyance, which not…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. InDesign CC UI scaling problem on multiple monitors with different resolutions

InDesign Version: Adobe InDesign CC 13.1 x64
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro build 1709.
    Monitors: Portrait orientated Dell U2415 24 inch (1200x1920) with 100% windows scale option and Landscape orientated Dell UP3216Q (3840x2160) with 150% (Recommended) scale.

Steps to reproduce the issue:
    1. Open InDesign CC on the 32 inch monitor
    2. Move all or some of the panels to the 24 inch monitor

Expected result:
    Panels in the 24 inch monitor should adapt to the resolution of the monitor the same way Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC does – crisp and nice.

Actual result:
    Panels don't adapt to monitor's…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Table cells tagged as form fields do not get tagged when using the Articles panel in an accessible PDF file.

If you convert a table cell to a graphic cell and then make it an interactive form field, if you use the Articles panel to control the order, the form fields do not get tagged.

1.) Create a table
    2.) Select a cell and choose Table > Convert to Graphic Cell
    3.) Open the articles panel and drag the frame containing the table to the Articles panel to create a new article.
    4.) Enable "Use for Reading order in tagged PDF" from the Articles panel menu.
    5.) Export to interactive PDF with tags enabled.

Result: If you open the PDF…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Loading saved ase swatches come in wrong order

This is driving me bonkers. I have a group of custom swatches that I use in InDesign. I have them in a specific order. then I "save swatches" and create the ase file. When you "load swatches" and bring them back in.. they are out of order. this Is new behavior. I have been ding this since CS6 and it was never an issue. They would load in the same order they were in when you saved them. I can load them out of order and then reorder them. with no document open and it will stay that way for…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Creative Cloud

I have Creative Cloud installed, but can't use it from within InDesign- the panel window says I don't have it installed. This is a bug. I voted when somebody else reported it, but it isn't fixed.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. cannot package files 10.13.6

InDesign CC 2018/ 10.13.6

Cannot package files. Ongoing issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. iMac, High Sierra, InDesign 2019. Error inserting images into rotated document pages.

iMac, High Sierra, InDesign 2019. Error when inserting images into a document (starting from the second page), in which they have an attribut page - turns the speed view = 90 degrees CW. At the same time increases the pasteboard and the image is inserted outside pasteboard.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. InDesign CC2019 PDF comments pallet closing when douments close closes all attached/combined pallets

The PDF Comments pallet automatically closes when you close a document, any document, no matter if it has PDF comments or not, which closes any pallet that is either combined or attached to it, which, if you don't want to keep opening and closing it all the time is annoying as I tend to keep pallets I use regularly or semi-regularly open all the time.

System:
    macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)
    Late 2014 27" iMac Retina 5K
    3.5GHz i5
    16GB DDR3

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. table changes format for no reason

When I create a new table and attempt to drop it into an Indesign CC 2019 layout, it completely changes format and cell sizes and is missing type in some cells.... I've attempted to place it into a new doc, and old doc it isn't staying formatted.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. After adjusting a link and renewing it, indesign fits automatically fits it to frame

I did notice that the link options weren't turned on properly but i turned them on and the result was the same.
    Also figured it might have to to with the auto-fit option but i double checked and it's not turned on... this is super annoying. I'm honestly afraid that it'll juggle everything about when i make a minor change.....

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Cyan swatch when pasting text

Cyan swatch won't go away. Delete it, change default paragraph shading, starting new document, evey time I paste text from another source (NOT Indesign - Acrobat, Word, plain text) the cyan swatch keeps reappearing. PLEASE fix this. Have upgraded to latest version and still won't stop.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. change of page dimensions won't resize alternate layout

changed page dimensions but indesign won't resize alternate layout
    changed to 5.5" from 5" and it won't re-size the alternate vertical layout.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base