Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Crash on deleting duplicated XML tag

Indesign CC 2019 (Version 14.0.1)
    Mac OS Mojave on Mac mini (Late 2014)

Hello, I have a document ready to import XML data, with existing XML structure and tagged elements in page.
    Afterwards I import XML data into XML structure and then duplicate (copy and paste) text frame that contains a table with an image placed into a cell table.
    If I try to delete resulting duplicated XML tag, application crashes.
    Same result if I duplicate (copy and paste) XML tag directly.

These are the steps:

1) Open document with prepared XML structure and tagged elements in page.
    2) Import…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Extendscript hangs CC2019 (14.0.2) on macOS

Code below works fine on Windows and CC 2018 on Mac. But CC 2019 Mac it hangs the app once clicking the OK button in window 2. I've tried three different Macs including Mojave and High Sierra. All the same result. Pretty sure it's not just me. This bug has broken a number of my scripts that present a secondary window for saving settings.

var w1 = new Window("dialog", "Window 1");
    var btnOpenWindow2 = w1.add("button", undefined, "Open Window 2");
    var btnOk1 = w1.add("button", undefined, "OK");
    btnOpenWindow2.onClick = function () {
    openWindow2();
    };
    btnOk1 = function () {
    w1.close();
    };
    w1.show(); …

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Crash when placing DOCX with paragraphStyles

Version: InDesign 14.0.1, macOS 10.14.3

Steps:
    1. Open attached InDesign document (please rename .jpg in .indd, there was a bug while uploading the file)
    2. Place "ThisDocumentHasParagraphStyles.docx" in the document
    3. InDesign crashes :-(

It seems it has something to do with the ParagraphStyles that are in the Word document. If I try to place the DOCX file named "ThisDocumentDOESNTHaveParagraphStyles.docx", then InDesign doesn't crash.

Attached is a screen video capture of the process (rename .jpg in .mp4 please)

Please help!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. GREP, odd behaviour in InDesign v. 14.0.2

Search and replace with GREP in InDesign version 14.0.2 behaves oddly.

This simple GREP used to work fine:
    (?<=\s)([\u\s\,]+)$

It matches upper case letters, commas and space between them at the end of a paragraph. But now it only matches some of them.

Really strange.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality (everything is grayed out). To save my work, I have to export as an IDML .

Lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality while working.
    To save my work, the only thing to do is to export as an IDML file. Force quitting to recover the file doesn't work. This has been happening to me since InDesign 5.5. I am currently using InDesign CC 2018. There are no particular steps, it happens at random. I can have several files open and it only happens to one file, or sometimes it's more than one file. It happens whether I'm working off of my Desktop or on our server.

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

217 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you are still experiencing this issue (as some of you are), please respond to the email that has been sent to you.
    While the issue has been fixed for certain scenarios, it looks like there are some remaining where it is still NOT working as expected. We look forward to finding a complete fix for this issue.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team

6. proportional scaling Using Shift Button not working properly

In the actual version the scaling an image with shift doesn't work properly. It is possible to scale umproportional although the shift button is pressed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Unable to package files - program freezes creating IDML

Unable to package documents since 14.0.2 x64 update. Freezes on create IDML. When you try to cancel app hangs. Have to crash service to get the app to close.

Windows 10 - 1809 17763.437

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. InDesign performance is ****

The actual performance of InDesign is, speaking gently, ****. I really don't know how you can release such a buggy version. I'm doing nothing on my machine except writing this text and InDesign is using more than 500 % of my CPU and the fan of my graphic card is going nuts!

Calling the actual version "production ready" is a joke. I am really disappointed about Adobe. The only program actually which is really good and performing is XD.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Stroke Drawing Order not working

InDesign 2019 on MacOS 10.13.6

Steps to reproduce
    Define table stroke using the proxy in the Control panel (see screenshot) and try to change the Stroke Drawing Order.

Expected result
    Stroke Drawing Order "Row Strokes In Front" should be as selected in "Table Options"

Actual result
    Row Strokes are not in front. All strokes which are altered using the control panel options remain unchanged.
    If a new table is setup using only the menu options (Cell Options > Strokes And Fills) everything works fine.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In the Table Setup dialog, do the following:

In the Row Strokes section (2nd tab), choose Alternating Pattern : Every Other Row and then make the First 1 Rows and Next 1 Rows the exact same settings.

In the Column Strokes section (3rd tab), choose Alternating Pattern: Every Other Column and then make the First 1 Columns and Next 1 Columns the exact same settings.

In the Table Setup section (1st tab), you can set the Table Border as 0mm and Stroke Drawing Order as ‘Row Strokes in Front’.

Most probably this should help you get the results you are after. Try this out and let us know if it helps.

Adobe InDesign team

10. Transparency Effect bug

Transparency Effect bug - Effects all objects on spread instead of only selected object.

I select a regular rectangle shape object with a solid fill (yellow) and change it's transparency under the effects menu to 75%. I have another regular rectangle object with a solid fill (turquoise) that's transparency is 100%. However, once I change the yellow rectangles transparency to 75%, the turquoise rectangle appears as if I've also changed it's transparency to 75% - not the desired result. When I change the yellow rectangle object back to 100% transparency, the turquoise rectangle object appears at it's original 100% transparency…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Wrong menu selection launched from menu bar

Unlike the issue explained by another user below, my main menu bar selection opens correctly but the item selected from the main list is not launched. Instead, a random command is used. Example: choosing 'Export...' from File menu launches the Print Booklet dialog box. The problem happens randomly about every week or so. The only solution I've found is relaunching InDesign.

I'm attaching 3 videos of the problem.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Crash when working with book TOC

I have a book with 10 chapters. I created a TOC earlier and left it for a few months while working on the chapters. When I try to update the TOC, the program crashes. I've tried the create new TOC files. Same result.
    Same issue on both desktop and laptop.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Cannot "place" MathType eps file correctly into InDesign - InvalidFont error

InDesign CC 13.1

Steps to Reproduce

1.In a ID document, use File > Place
    2.Select the attached eps file, which is an eps file created by MathType
    3.Place the eps file

Expected Result: The eps to place the image correctly

Actual Result: Before the eps is placed, the error is seen: "InvalidFont error occurred creating the screen display for the imported EPS. The EPS will draw as a gray box. The actual EPS may not print and will not export as PDF. Do you still want to place this file? Yes/No?

Clicking Yes results in only a gray box.

*Cannot…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Slow work of Indesign when editing text with large footnotes

I'd like to report a bug. Please follow the scenario below:

1. In a single column with lots of text in it, make two columns for a fragment of text

2. In text within the two-column setup, make a footnote. Add several lines of text to the footnote

3. Turn on the "Span Footnotes Across Columns" feature so that footnote ends up in the same group with the footnotes at the bottom of the page rather than below the two-column fragment

4. Expected behaviour: normal editing can be performed after these manipulations

5. Observed behaviour: any text editing after turning…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. If I have no document open command + N does not work. If I have a document open then command + N does work. I go to new document via the dro

If I have no document open command + N does not work. If I have a document open then command + N does work. I go to new document via the drop down menu it still shows command + N as a shortcut for new document it also shows that is still being the shortcut when I go to preferences and lookup shortcuts. “Show Start Workspace When No Documents Are Open” Is already turned off. This problem is intermittent.
    Cc 2019, Mac OS 10.13.6

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking and "Auto-fit" options do not seem to work.

I am using Indesign 14.0

When I relink files, Indesign changes the scale and placement of images automatically, regardless of whether the preserve image dimensions option in the file handling box is checked or unchecked, and whether the "auto-fit" button in the tool menu is checked or uncheked.

Preferences > File Handling > "Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking"

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

InDesign 14.0.2 and Acrobat Continuous 2019.10.20099

This issue is about the behavior and appearance of interactive check boxes in documents that have been exported to Interactive PDFs.

There is a difference in the way that check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear versus those created in Acrobat Pro. The Acrobat Pro Forms preferences are involved in this difference.

When, in Acrobat Pro Forms Preferences, under Highlight Color, the “Show border hover color for fields” option is selected, check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear in the following manner.

When a check box is made active, it first appears…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Conditional text is not applied correctly after line break in IDMLs

If Unconditional text follows a line break where another Paragraph Style is applied with Conditional text, making an IDML out of the document will change the Unconditional text to Conditional.

Please see example screenshots.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Clicking document-installed font from font list gives error to "activate font" and doesn't change font.

InDesign 14.0 on Windows 10 x64

I just upgraded to InDesign 14.0, and there appears to be a bug when clicking a document-installed font from the font list. The font list gives an error message to "Click 'Activate' button to activate fonts" and the text frame keeps the existing font, instead of changing to the new font.

Expected result:
    The expected result would be the same behavior as InDesign 13.1, where you could click a document-installed font from the font list, and the text frame would update to the newly selected font.

Actual result:
    In InDesign 14.0, clicking a document-installed…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

20. Background Tasks panel

I'm not trying to post an idea or add something.
    I merely want the Background Tasks panel to actually be useful!

When a file fails to export... no reason is given! Just that it failed. WTH? How can that in any way be deemed to be a "reason" or much less... useful in finding the issue and fixing it?

A fail reason... bad font, corrupt file.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base