Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign, latest version. GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Please can you confirm if this GREP query works for small text ranges? (for example text selection containing around 10K characters)
    For me, the query works for just in a document containing one (.) followed by one endnote marker

If it works for you as well on small documents, your issue may be same as https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37286893-cc-14-0-2-grep-search-not-working

-Adobe InDesign Team

2. InDesign 14.0.2 constant spinning beachball - especially on text related commands

Working in InDesign 14.0.2 on High Sierra, (single computer home network) the programme is exceptionally slow - taking about 10 seconds (of beachballing) to select a line of copy. Clicking between objects takes 5-10 seconds also. This is happening on my Mac Book Pro and iMac, both running High Sierra - all other programmes are working normally. I have tried trashing my preferences and uninstalling etc, but nothing has improved the lagging issue. I have had to revert to the 2018 version to get my work done.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Export jpg

Hi!
    When I create banners in Indesign 14.0.1 I use hires images as TIF and exporting it to JPG. The final files in JPG end up with corrupt pixels. I have to place a lowres JPG in Indesign to be able to export it as a correct JPG.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  PNG/JPEG/EPS Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. With Adjust Layout ON, Text Frames shrink to extremely tiny size on changing Margins.

I am working in Adobe InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1. When I have a manuscript already flowed into my document and try to adjust the margins on the master page with Adjust Layout enabled, when the new margins are applied to the document, all the existing text boxes "disappear." From what I can tell, they have been resized down to an infinitely small point in the middle of the spread. Obviously, this is not useful. I used to be able to adjust the margins across an entire book-length document in one go with layout adjustment, and the text on every page…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. BUG Keypress doesn´t respond

With updating to 13.1 March 2018 Update: When you type to a text frame you have to do it twice before the character appears in the frame. I have this problem on two Windows 10 machines...

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

95 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

6. InDesign crashes on launch in "PlugPlugOwl.dll"

InDesign 2019 doesn't open after the first loading box on startup. I downloaded 2018, 2017 and 2015. 2015 is the only one that works at the moment but the others have the same issue.
    My computers processor is Intel Pentium 1.5 GHz
    I've attached the crash report.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

7. Color Settings Not Sticking

Upon updating to InDesign 2019 (14.0) my color settings are no longer retained.

As soon as I quit the app and restart the color settings go back to "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

I have reinstalled the app.
    I have wiped all settings.
    I have cleared the Adobe Color Cache folder.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

8. InDesign performance is ****

The actual performance of InDesign is, speaking gently, ****. I really don't know how you can release such a buggy version. I'm doing nothing on my machine except writing this text and InDesign is using more than 500 % of my CPU and the fan of my graphic card is going nuts!

Calling the actual version "production ready" is a joke. I am really disappointed about Adobe. The only program actually which is really good and performing is XD.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Footnote marker is replaced with an unknown character if preceded by a character with a specific Unicode pattern

Footnote marker is replaced with an unknown character if preceded by a character with a specific Unicode pattern. Unicode pattern is U+##1a. Here are some of those characters:

U+011a
    U+021a
    U+031a
    U+041a
    U+051a
    U+061a
    U+071a
    U+081a

You could try the attached test file for placement in to an InDesign document. Unicode of the character following the footnote marker is : U+011a

This happen when file format of the file is either RTF or DOC. Its not a issue with DOCX.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. TOC is insanly hard to figure out.

TOCs in inDesign is the most confusing piece of software I have ever whitnessed. Nothing makes sense. I change the little drop downs in the TOC popup. Click DONE. Close it open it back up nothing is changed. I cannot figure out how to do anything in there at all. And I have googled and watched videos about it for last 2 years of my life. Still have to create TOCs manually. Just a horrible horrible piece of software UX wise. This needs to be fixed. You guys need to take TOC creation and rethink it completely from group up.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Different views when switching between preview and normal mode

Strange behavior. I recently switched between preview and normal mode and InDesign showed me an older version of the document.

Most recent MacOS and InDesign Version.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. InDesign EXTREMELY slow when working on files off a server

The latest version of InDesign has been virtually unusable on my Mac Pro when working off files on a sever. Every click takes 3-5 seconds to process and the beachball is constantly processing.

The Adobe help chat suggested I work locally instead, however working off the server has never been a problem with the previous versions. Working locally or off a hard drive/USB has speed it up.

Can you please advise why this issue has appeared with the latest version?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Indesign CC 2019 14.0.1 xmp-information for images cannot be copied

1: Indesign 14.0.1
    2: open any link details for any placed image/XMP-information
    3: I want to copy text from this window to clipboard (like credit-information). This was possible in Indesign 2015.
    4: it is not possible to copy text.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

The fix for this issue is now available in the beta builds of InDesign. You can download the latest beta build from Download section of InDesign Prerelease portal.

1. Go to https://www.adobeprerelease.com
    2. Log in with your Adobe Id.
    3. Once logged in, search for “InDesign CC Prerelease” program in the list.
    4. Click on the program to join the same.
    5. You can now download the build (14.0.3.418) from “Builds and Plugins” section on the page.
    6. The steps for installing the build can be found in the release notes

14. contour freaking out

Contours on Text are freaking out in CC 2019 (14.0.2)

See attached PDF (.INDD is not allowed to be attached....)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Creating a catalogue with a large table FREEZING in indesign CC 2019

We've been making a large catalogue pricelist for over 13 years using indesign.

We're now stuck on the 2017 (12.1.0) version.
    We want to update it, but in the latest version, importing our pricelist from excel into a table, slows the whole thing down to an unworkable speed.

info:
    the table is around 13000 rows by 10 columns. so not small.
    it does import in the 2017 version. slow to import in both, but can use and work on after import in 2017 version.
    2019, freezes when scroll used, and take 1-3 mins to unfreeze. Scroll again or do anything…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. serial number changed on cc2019

User is not required to fill-in a serial number on CC apps, but nevertheless the numbers still exist and are used by 3rd party script creators to identify the user and license the script.
    this SN was kept the same on all CC versions but now it was changed. this means I need to repurchase my scripts licenses.
    the 3rd party programmer can't use just username becuase there may be more than one indesign license under one username.
    suggested solution: just keep the SN as it was on CC2018 and don'r make us pay for nothing

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

17. Unable to package files - program freezes creating IDML

Unable to package documents since 14.0.2 x64 update. Freezes on create IDML. When you try to cancel app hangs. Have to crash service to get the app to close.

Windows 10 - 1809 17763.437

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. PDF comments panel does not stick in workspace

We have discovered that the PDF Comments panel disappears when a document is closed.

But we have also found that any panels that are grouped with the PDF Comments panel in a saved workspace disappear when the document is closed.

Refreshing the workspace brings them all back.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 2019 workspace not sticking

upon opening a new document in Indesign 2019, workspace needs to be reset every time to return to preferred working environment.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

The fix for this issue is now available in the beta builds of InDesign. You can download the latest beta build from Download section of InDesign Prerelease portal.

1. Go to adobeprerelease.com
    2. Log in with your Adobe Id.
    3. Once logged in, search for “InDesign CC Prerelease” program in the list.
    4. Click on the program to join the same.
    5. You can now download the build (14.0.3.407) from “Builds and Plugins” section on the page.
    6. The steps for installing the build can be found in the release notes

20. Crash when working with book TOC

I have a book with 10 chapters. I created a TOC earlier and left it for a few months while working on the chapters. When I try to update the TOC, the program crashes. I've tried the create new TOC files. Same result.
    Same issue on both desktop and laptop.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base