Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

2. Renaming an object layer by double-clicking is tedious - sometimes non-responsive

When working with layers, select an object, then double click the name to rename, it takes multiple clicks and a delay of several seconds before the name field becomes editable. Why? I don't see any other way to rename the object layer.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Find/Change bug in Indesign 13.1.1

Text Find/Change seems to have a bug: let's suppose we have 2 paragraph styles, for example a title style and a body text style. In the document I received from our partner sometimes the body paragraphs wear the title style and they were manually overridden to look like the body style. To fix this error I tried to search for texts that has the title style but the font used is that of the body style. Indesign Finds something at the beginning of the body paragraph (a thin cursor-like thing can be seen there: it is the selected something) that…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Incopy 2019 cannot open icap file created by ID 2019

.icap files created with ID 2019 cannot be opened with IC 2019 with error message „An error occured while opening the file.“ Tested on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

5. Master page effects don't render properly unless overridden.

I have a drop shadow on a Current Page Number marker on my Master page.
    On the document pages, the marker renders the correct page number, but the drop shadow is always the character that's rendered on the Master page (In this case, a "B").
    Only if I detach the item from the master page will it render properly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Drop-down menu options not highlighting

Visual feedback of selected item works when moving down through list using Down Arrow Key. Visual feedback does not work when moving back up through the list using Up Arrow Key. It will select the correct item, it just doesn't show that the correct item is currently highlighted.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

7. Transparency Effect bug

Transparency Effect bug - Effects all objects on spread instead of only selected object.

I select a regular rectangle shape object with a solid fill (yellow) and change it's transparency under the effects menu to 75%. I have another regular rectangle object with a solid fill (turquoise) that's transparency is 100%. However, once I change the yellow rectangles transparency to 75%, the turquoise rectangle appears as if I've also changed it's transparency to 75% - not the desired result. When I change the yellow rectangle object back to 100% transparency, the turquoise rectangle object appears at it's original 100% transparency…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Import PDF Comments - New Bugs identified - Part 2

We're also facing below issues in the new feature, called 'Import PDF Comments':

(1) Formatting properties are getting removed after importing the PDFs into InDesign, for example, if editor marking the contents in Bold format, is getting removed automatically
    (2) When contents are getting overset during Comments accepting, throwing error ‘Comment cannot be accepted’
    (3) Unable to select the comment one-by-one thro’ COM
    (4) Unable to navigate the comment to respective position in the InDesign file thro’ COM
    (5) Unable to get the page numbers thro’ COM

Please let me know for any clarifications on the above given feedback.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Printing booklet : unknow problem

Since I update indesign to CC 2019 I can't print to booklet all of my .indd files which were overwrited in .indd version CC 2019 (and even the older versions can't be printed to booklet...).
    I got the error message : "printing error : The Adobe Print engine has failed to output your data due to an unknow problem"

indesign 14.0.1
    Windows 7 version 6.1
    printer : Adobe PDF

Here is the error log :

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
    %%[Page: 1]%%

%%[ Error: invalidrestore; OffendingCommand: restore ]%%

Stack:

-save-

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%% …

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Create outlines in a document with conditional text crashes

I have four InDesign templates created, two use conditional text while the other two do not. I have no problem creating outlines of the document without the conditional text. Every time I try to create outlines of a page in a document with conditional text, I get the endless spinning wheel and have to force quit.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Indesign causes screen to enter a strobe flicker effect and no choice but to shut down

Sometimes when I drag a text box to a different position the screen starts to flicker then goes crazy - like a strobe effect. It's applied to all software that's open and there is no choice but to have a frenzied time trying to shut down applications and saving work before the screen either goes completely blank or white. There is no choice but to restrt the imac.

It happened around 5 times in the space of an hour and then won't happen for weeks.

iMac - Intel Core i7 - 4 GHz - Memory 32 GB - AMD Radeon…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Stroke edit crash

I create a line with either the pen tool or the line tool. I select the line and open the properties palette. I select the 'stroke' button and open the stroke palette. I click the 'line end' or 'line beginning' to change the end to an arrow, bullet end, etc. InDesign hangs for a moment and then crashes.
    I have submitted multiple crash reports from the crash window that pops up and have received no response from Adobe. It has been going on for months.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Drive File Stream causing InDesign to crash

InDesign v 14.0.2

We use Drive File Stream for all of our file storing - which has been working great until last week when opening certain files made InDesign crash repeatedly. I have tried to save as an IDML, download locally and still have the crashing problem.

When I go to open the file it will just freeze the application window, no panels visable and just the spinning Mac ball. Force quit and then reopen InDesign - then it freezes again each time upon reopening, before trying to open any files and I have to force quit again. The second…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. TIFF images as assets in CC Libraries are always placed as PNG images on the document page

1. Affected: InDesign CC all versions that are working with CC Libraries.
    Tested with InDesign CC 2018.1 and InDesign CC 2019 version 14.0.2.324 on Windows 10. InDesign versions on Mac OS X are also reported.

2. Steps to reproduce the issue:
    Do a new CC Library.
    Add TIFF images saved from PhotoShop CC 2019 to the new library.
    Two options how you can do this that I know of:
    A. Drag the files from your file system to the open and empty library.
    B. Use Adobe Bridge CC 2019 to drag files to the open library.

3. Expected result:
    If…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. dublicate layer with object group

If you dublicate a layer with a object group on it, and then ungroup (the also dublicated) objects on the new layer, they are all moved to their original layer.

This objects should stay on the new layer!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. InDesign buffers every 5 seconds

I am on a new MacBook Pro; every other adobe program runs fine, including After Effects. There shroud be no reason why drawing my second text box InDesign makes it borderline crash. Im working off my internal hard drive and it is happening with every InDesign file. I have the display performance set to fast and I have no other programs opened.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Can no longer filter on fonts with lining figures

Adobe InDesign version 14.0.2

I don't know when this started happening, but it's a big issue. It's no longer possible to filter fonts based on lining figures (that is, filter out old style figures). Here's what happens:

1. With a text box selected, I click the dropdown arrow next to the font name in the Control palette.
    2. I click the Filter dropdown.
    3. With no filters selected, the font list looks as shown in the screenshot I'm attaching called Unfiltered. That screenshot shows a mix of fonts that have lining figures and those that don't.
    4. I select just…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Using glyphs in a text variable

I've defined a text variable that I use for a running header. This variable is defined from the first use of a "chapter title" paragraph style that I've also defined. I've inserted this variable on my A-master page, which is synced between documents in my book. The problem I'm running into is that I've used a number of glyphs in the text comprising the first use of that style, and the text variable (my running header) looks garbled: it's missing letters and has mixed caps. If it matters, the font I'm using is Orpheus Pro Bold.

Attached are two screenshots:…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Please bring back the Layout Adjustment!!!

I'm a typesetter that misses this feature to adjust the sink on Chapter Openers. It is the main reason why I do not use CC19.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Table of Contents - Allow master page items

To my knowledge, master page items still don't populate the Table of Contents in Indesign without overriding the master page item.

Problem with this is it defeats the purpose of the master page item.

For instance, I have a large manual, in which the chapters are included in a master page layout. The text in the master page item is auto generated using the Special Character - Marker - Section Marker feature, so all I have to do is start a new section in my document.

But the TOC will not take that text from the master page, unless I…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base