Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign 15.1.1 - Fonts not activating - stuck on spinning circle background tasks

I have a problem on InDesign 15.1.1 - My Creative Cloud fonts are not activating... How can I sort this out? It's stuck on the spinning blue circle of doom - the background task has been saying queued for hours now.

I need my fonts not sure what to do?? Help.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. placing text at cursor jumps in rtl in InDesign 15.1.1.103

When placing a story at cursor using a right-to-left story frame, the cursor is in the wrong place.

This has also been filed as Bug ID-4219127

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. ScriptUI: Opening Dialog while dialog is open breaks InDesign

I'm running InDesign 14.0.2 on a macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

In a script i created I have a Dialog. It has a button that opens another dialog.

Before my last indesign-update (CC 14.0.2) the second dialog would open and when i closed it, i could use the previous dialog window again.

Now with the Update when I open the second dialog and close it again, i cant use (or close) the previous dialog and it blocks me from using InDesign. I can move the dialogwindow around but thats it so i have to restart indesign.

I tested this on two…

109 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

4. Cells formatted as Number/Currency etc. in Excel without decimal places or as Date not imported correctly into InDesign.

InDesign CC : 2020 / 15.0.0.155
    MacOS : 10.13.6
    MS Excel : 16.30 for Mac

We were able since ever (last version ID CC 2019) to import Excel data-cells by InDesign with the placing functionality. With the actual version of InDesign CC 2020 numbers without any decimal places (e.g. 153) are not imported from Excel files and are displayed in InDesign with a "0" - (e.g. 153 imports to InDesign as 0). If the numbers in the Excel files have at least 1 decimal place numbers are imported correctly (e.g. 153.6 imports to InDesign as 153.6). Please fix this InDesign…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Crash Adobe InDesign CC v15.02-v15.1

It freezes when openning the program (Starting up Service Registry...) Adobe InDesign CC v15.02-15.1 (Installed Language: English International)

(But Adobe Creative Cloud for Teams: Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge and Acrobat DC are fine.)

My Computer:

PC Dell Inspiron 5680
    Processor: Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz.
    HDD: 256GB SSD
    RAM: 16GB
    Display card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070
    Display resolution: 1920x1080 Refresh rate: 60Hz.
    Monitor: Dell S2718H/HX

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.1.1(v15.1.1.103) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Share for review

During this pandemic, I'm am trying to use the 'share for review' feature for a book I'm laying out. It is 600 pages, 300 spreads, about 333 MB file. It includes images and text.
    I've designed other books -- the printer had no problem with the files
    I'm using a Mac with InDesign 15.1.
    When I tried to share the file, 4 pages - 2 spreads uploaded. I tried again and 8 pages - 4 spread, appeared for sharing. I didn't choose them, it is what InDesign randomly chose.
    As an experiment, I created another file and tried to upload…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

FIXED  ·  2 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Print doc from the "share for review" page

To review a document, some people like to print it to have a better look at it.

Currently there is no option to print from the new "share for review" page, but having it would be very useful for some.
    Otherwise we still need to make and send a separate pdfs for review.

So, it would be appreciated if you can somehow add it.

Sincerely
    JP

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Updated my Indesign to 15.0.3, now constant FREEZING, SLOW, NOT RESPONDING

after updating to 15.0.3, I have had CONSTANT issues with Indesign. (and Adobe Acrobat Pro) . Receive a CONSTANT not responding message. Extremely frustrated. Cannot get my work finished. Things are taking more than double the time they should. Something as simple as turning a page can take a entire minute or two. Wish I never updated.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  InDesign Server (IDS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. CEPHtmlEngine Helper

macOS Catalina 10.15.5. and InDesign. 15.1.1.

Massive problem with CEPHtmlEngine Helper. After a while, my MacBook Pro fan is running high and in the activity window, CEPHtmlEngine Helper is running between 90 and 100%. It is no fun to work with a system that runs crazy.
    Why? Solution needed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Share for Review SYNC Broken

I use "Share" > "Share for Review" on a Program for review by multiple departments for edits. I received notifications of over 200 edits, but upon opening the InDesign file to begin changes, the "Window" > "Comments" > "Review" Panel data is empty and again says "Create Review".

So the connection from my online review and the source InDesign is broken. Additionally, there is no option to save that online version as a pdf to import the comments via that option in "Window" > "Comments" > "PDF Comments"

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

After doing a Share for Review, if you Close the document without Saving it, the review link is not present in the document, that’s why when you reopen it, the Review panel is empty and says ‘Create Review’.

So, the way Share for Review works is like this:
    - If you are opening an already saved document and sharing it for review, after doing the share for review, the document becomes dirty, so Save it before Closing it. Otherwise, let the document remain open. Once you receive notifications of comments, open the document to see all the comments in Review panel.

- If you are creating a new document, making your designs and sharing it for review and you keep the document open, the comments made by reviewers are visible in the Review panel.

Adobe InDesign team

11. [BUG] Text from pdf disappears when placing a pdf

When placing a (PitStop server certified) PDF some texts in the placed PDF disappear (on screen as well as print).
    Only happens in latests Indesign/photoshop/illustrator, older versions work fine.

PDF has no errors or problems in Acrobat pro preflight and PitStop server.

Confirmed by several users in community forum:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/placed-pdf-file-into-indesing-part-of-pdf-file-disappear/m-p/11258536?page=3

Sample file attached.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Crash during spell check

At any stage in spell checking but usually at the start. Running Mac Catalina and In Design 15.1.1 on a McBook Pro 2019.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Spinning wheel keeps running make program not responding

When starting up InDesign 2020 (15.0.3) it runs a ok for a couple of minutes, then the spinning wheel comes on/off randomly. When on its impossible to use the program.
    Its the program CEP Html Engine causing the problem. A lot of instances is started up (se attached image). Tried to debug the problem and found that its the file cef.pak (in CEP Program folder) that’s the problem. When removing this, everything is fine except that the startup popup is missing.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Vertical Text Alignment not working correctly in InDesign 2020

I recently upgraded to InDesign CC 2020 and find all the text in circles not aligned vertically center. Document was last opened in CC 2019 and these were fine. I haven’t modified these since. Rectangles are fine. See attached example - clearly not right and inconsistently so. I have tried every setting and I can’t get them to line up. Thanks!

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

If you have created documents from ID15.0 where you see this issue, please do a Force Recomposition of the Text Frames (Cmd-Opt-/ on Mac, Ctrl-Alt-/ on Win) to make it work correctly.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Split column doesn't work correctly.

Urgent: ID 2020 splitting multiple columns doesn't work!
    I attach screenshot showing:
    - paragraph style split column
    - screenshot with style applied in ID 2019 14.3
    - screenshot with the same style and same text in ID 2020

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Type library is not automatically created by CC2020 installation. Error 104705: Unable to load Adobe InDesign Type Library (Version 1.0)

Extensions and scripts halting or crashing after installing CC2020, due to a missing type library.
    Our customers report errors after updating to CC2020, and I got the same error when I tried. Our script make a halt at a DoScript call, with this error: 104705: Unable to load Adobe InDesign Type Library (Version 1.0)
    After starting InDesign CC2020 "AS ADMINISTRATOR", a missing type library is obviously created: the message and error disappears after doing that once.
    It was not enough for my user just to have administrator privileges on my computer and in the domain, I had to explicitly start…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. InDesign 2019/2020, PDF export deletes components of some composite CJK glyphs when they overlap

Install the test font in the attached zip and open the the InDesign document. Exporting to PDF clears out the top part. This did not happen in 2018.

I initially reported this to Josh Hadley on 23 Jan 2020, who wrote up an internal report and came back to me, saying the InDesign team could reproduce and suggested working around the issue by decomposing everything or diverting the export through PostScript/Distiller. A very large client told us that this is not an option for them and would like a direct fix.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Use Auto-Sizing and Text Wrap Frame on causes application crash

Environment: InDesign 2020 (15.0.2 Japanese version) + macOS (confirmed with 10.15.3 and 10.14.6)

• create and connect two text frames

• set Auto-Sizing "Height and Width" on Text Frame Options

• Insert text into two frames full

• overlay graphic frames with Text Wrap settings ON

• move the graphic frame appropriately (drawing is not normal at this point)

• close documents with Command + W

During this operation, you will usually be asked to confirm the save, but suddenly InDesign will end and the application will crash.
    Also, if you try while overwriting with Command + S without Command + W, you may not be…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi
    Based on internal investigation and customer comments, we have concluded that the issue got fixed in InDesign 15.0.2 and that issue happens with InDesign 15.0.1 version only.

Please start a new thread in case you see the issue happen with InDesign 15.0.2

Thanks

19. Some spreads gone grey and only export as blank pages in 15.1.1

I have a 48-page magazine about to go to print and three spreads have suddenly gone grey - as you see in screenshot. In the Pages panel they appear blank and when I export them - also blank. Getting worried...

Separately, the "Fit Page/Spread in Window" instead zooms in to 2,642% magnification.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?
    -
    Adobe InDesign

20. Right to Left direction select opposite direction

When we want to select a character or word by using cursor key in Arabic text, it select the opposite direction, i.e. Ctrl + Left arrow key, Shift + Left arrow key, Ctrl + Shift + Left arrow key, or Ctrl + Shift + Left arrow key, will select a character or word on the right of cursor, even if already set to "Visual" in preference for cursor movement.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base