2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow negative indentation!

Please allow negative indentation!

That would make all kinds of hanging bullets, chapter numbers and outdentations easy without any workaround (like "indent everything but the headlines and lists" ...). It would make text layout faster, purer and cleaner, as the type area could be correctly defined just for the copy text.

I think this simple change should be easy to implement and bring enormous relief for our craft.

71 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please allow placed PSD layer blend modes to carry over into InDesign

We build 2-layer Photoshop files for product images. Top layer is product image set to NORMAL blend mode. Bottom layer is shadow of product set to MULTIPLY blend mode. When placed in InDesign the shadow layer does not carry over multiply blending. It knocks out anything under it in InDesign file. Our work around is placing two copies of the PSD file on top of each other. We then have to set the bottom image to Multiply with top layer turned off in Object Layer Options. Then the top image needs to have shadow layer turned off in Object Layer…

71 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Form Field Calculations in InDesign

With InDesign's form tools, we're missing the ability to add calculations to form fields in InDesign, and that task must be done manually in Acrobat.

To start, I'd like to be able to build simple calcs into my InDesign forms. Example:

And expense report has a form field for each day of the week, and then a total for all of the days. Would like a simple summation calc that I could use for rows of fields or columns of fields. Or both!

Another example: multiplication of quantity times price. Or multiplication of 5% sales tax on an amount field.

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Option to have list indents work near text-wrap objects

Currently, when text containing bulleted or numbered lists wraps around an object, all indents associated with the list settings are ignored (this might be related to tab settings, since those don't follow the wrap either). The typical workaround is to change the Text After to an en-space and add an "Indent to Here" character, but the en-space trick won't work for numbered lists and "Indent to Here" won't work if the text wrap edge is not perfectly straight vertical. See the attached screenshot for a demonstration based on real work I did yesterday. In order not to disrupt existing layouts,…

68 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Would like to be able to include fonts and links from linked Illustrator files when packaging an InDesign file for print

would like to be able to collect fonts and links in linked AI and PS files when packaging an ID file for print.

67 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Dependent font sizes

Allow for Character styles to have a font size relative to the underlying Paragraph style by adding and subtracting (or even multiplication and division). A Character style’s font size could be -2 pt or +2 pt for example. If the Paragraph style’s font size is 14 pt, the Character style’s fonts size would result in 12 pt or 16 pt. This is very practical for optical adjustment of different typefaces for example, keeping everything dynamic.

67 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Create advanced graphs and charts inside Indesign

We really need a good and advanced tool for creating graphs and charts inside InDesign. A tool where we can edit what the X and Y axis contain and the ability to custom design of every part of the graph/chart. Maybe also make it work and link with illustrator, because the Illustrator graphs and charts tools REALLY needs updating. It's like these features have been completely neglected for years.

66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Managing Multiple Sets of Endnotes In a Document AND allowing Endnotes to refer to a separate INDD Document

Issue #1:
    Here's my first dilemma: I am building a book with several hundred pages. This book will be printed (won't be an eBook/iBook). I'm keeping each chapter as its own document that I will then collect together as a larger Book at the end. The last chapter will be just for all the book's endnotes. In previous versions of InDesign, I would import the Word document, delete the endnotes out of the "Chapter x" document, and pop them back into the "Endnotes chapter" without affecting the superscripts referencing the endnotes throughout the text. Easy. Now, in cc 2018 if…

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Easy way to convert text to outline while exporting

Most of our printers still ask for fonts to be outlined.
    Unfortunately the process to outline is very complicated and usually results in bullets, text box backgrounds and underline/over-lines disappearing. I also don't always want to flatten the whole document but simply rasterize the text. Especially when sending something to print that has different ink layers. Being able to outline text in the Export dialog box would be the best solution. This way I don't have to save a separate document or undo all my changes before saving so I retain my text in the Indd file.

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Publish Online for INDB (book) file

Please extend Publish Online to Books. I use recurring elements as chapters in presentations and would like to publish online instead of exporting and transmitting PDF files.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  PublishOnline  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Opacity of a cell fill

There needs to be an option to control the opacity of a cell fill.
    The only option now is to go to cell options > Strokes & Fill and change the tint, but the effect is not the same as opacity (that will apply only the fill and not the text in the cell).
    Thank you

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make the »instructions.txt« file choosable when packaging

Just add a button so that it will be possible to unclick the writing of the (often useless) instructions.txt file when packaging an InDesign file.

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. "Force quit" a background task

In all the years that we've had background tasks, I've almost never been able to cancel one successfully. Whenever a task hangs up for unknown reasons, and I hit cancel, it just hangs on the 'cancelling' step and the only way to stop it is to force-quit InDesign, which can equal lost work and damaged files.

I would like to see a more assertive way to force shut down of a background task that isn't cooperating.

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Ability to add color labels to individual styles to better organize and manage large lists of styles

Similar to how pages can be labeled with a color (also see layer colors in Photoshop).

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Remove first line indent after a heading

We need an option to set First Line Indent to zero when a paragraph follows a heading.

For example, perhaps you have Head1, Head2, and BodyText. Head2 is based on Head1. BodyText has a first line indent. My suggestion is that InDesign should have a checkbox labeled "Set first line indent to zero when following:" and then provide a list of paragraph styles in the document.

You could either allow people to choose Head1 AND Head2 (multiple selection list), or you could allow them to choose Head1 and it would automatically apply to Head2 because that is based on Head1.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Wavy line needs customize option!

We need “Wavy line” customize option, such as:
    (1) weight (2) wave height (3) wavelength (4) single/double line selection
    (see fig1.png and fig2.png)

Current wavy line design is not good for professional.
    When we change weight, the wavy size is automatically changed. We can’t control the size of wave.
    When we need to control the size and shape of wavy line, we have to create appropriate one by Illustrator, then link them. This takes lots of times of us.
    "Wavy line" customize option will definitely help us a lot.
    Japanese clients often designate to use wavy lines to underline.
    With…

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Grep style formatting for variables

Active linked variables and Grep styles do not work together.

When you use variables and paragraph formats with Grep styles, you have to set the variable back to text and lose the link, to enable formatting with the Grep style.

Variables should be handled by InDesign like normal text, with all features of formatting etc.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Table of Contents

Table of Contents styles should be able to take a selected page range, and generate a TOC based on only that page range.

Many books have multiple TOCs these days — a master TOC up front, and TOCs at the beginning of each chapter or section, and often a hidden TOC that is used to generate PDF bookmarks.

Being able to limit page ranges would mean less manually edited of generated TOCs, faster TOC generation, and needing to use fewer paragraph/character styles to handle them!

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. make data merge possible from Google Sheet without being forced to make csv

I use DataMerge a lot and its really boring to be forced to export an update to csv when working in collaboration.
    If we could use directly the source file Google Sheet we could improve our workflow (Easy Catalog does it !)

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base