Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• or

248 results found

1. Sharing preferences across devices using the same account.

I would love to be able to share my InDesign preferences such as custom workspace layouts and custom preflight profiles through the cloud so that they are available on any device I sign into and also don't get lost every time there is a new major update/release of InDesign. These are key features to productivity and a lot of time can be spent setting preferences to get InDesign optimised and just right for your individual workflow, it is really frustrating to have to keep doing this on every device and after every update.

I know you can manually copy workspace…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Exporting ePub options - more needed and open direct to selected readers...

When exporting an ePUB, give the option to export as "iBooks friendly" or "ADE friendly" or "Google Play friendly" and automatically preview the epub in the chosen app. The reason this is needed is because, currently the enhanced epubs that you can export from InDesign work through iBooks but literally NOWHERE else. Google Play throws back errors that don't make sense and do not support some of the features that InDesign exports, such as javascript. And ADE does not have consistency across the android version and the Windows version and is riddled with bugs. The windows version doesn't read…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  EPub  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I should be able to share epub/html export tags between documents without loading the paragraph/character styles themselves.

Loading paragraph and character styles from another document can cause shifts in locally formatted text and reflow. But having the ability to load just the export tag mapping would avoid such reflow.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  HTML  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow to export pdf with comments for archival purposes

Once we are done with a project, we package all of our files and upload to our server. It would be nice to be able to export the reviewed documents as pdfs that include all of the comments made. Just for archival purposes in case we ever go back and wonder why certain changes were made.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Print the contents of the book window

I'm working on a very long document -- a book with about 300 component files (2-4 pp each). They're all in the book window... but once you're past two or three dozen files, the organization of the book window becomes difficult to view and comprehend. I'd like to print out the contents of the book window (PDF, CSV, spreadsheet, text, whatever) so that I can review what's there and see how best to organize it. The book window allows me to print out the book in different ways, and I can print portions of the book... but not that overview…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Search for missing links

When links are broken on our shared server, I manually need to type the name of the link to begin a search for it. Some file names are very complicated. It would be nice if the link name was already written in the input field or even better a button in the links panel that searches for the link and replaces it. Most often the link has just changed place on the server but has the same name.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. PDF to InDesign - Preserve Editing Capabilities

In Illustrator, you have an option for saving to PDF to "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" so that you can open the file in Illustrator again and have the whole file including the layers, effects, guides, etc. Can we have this for InDesign as well?
    I work with some people that I know use InDesign and export the PDF from there, but don't share the InDesign file so when changes need to be made, it gets a bit more complicated than necessary.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Support ID Books!

As a freelancer corralling multiple ID files, many which share Styles, Parent Pages and other elements, or need to output in a certain order as a combined PDF, I have long used the Book function in ID and MANY OF MY CLIENTS DO AS WELL. This feature of InDesign is still bare bones, undeveloped and buggy. It needs attention from developers! Here are my wishes for Adobe InDesign Books:

1) The Book Panel is still bare bones. Simply give it your attention.

2) I want all the fly-out menu options for a book to be available with a secondary click/contextual…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Make a real collaboration with InDesign/InCopy via CC

It was hard to see, that InCopy is still using E-Mail to collaborate with editors on another place. I thought it's all in the CC!! For this is a must have: I'm sharing an InDesign-document (or parts of it) save it for my incopy-editor. The editor gets a notification (email or instant) and will open it and makes changes and new content, save it and the designer gets a notification that there is new content from editor xy. He can now accept this and the new content is inside the InDesign-document. Finish.
    But ash the moment it's very hard to…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  InCopy  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Option to lock text box position only, with text remaining editable

I would love the ability to lock the position of text boxes in a layout, while still allowing editing of the text contents. (Similar to the multiple types of layer lock in Photoshop).

This would be useful for the template documents I make and then share with collaborators. Other users edit the text, but sometimes accidentally nudge text boxes out of place that should be consistent in placement. I use Object Styles to check placement, but it's time-consuming to check each text box in a document with 100+ pages.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. all Adobe apps become the most crashing

year by year all Adobe apps become the most crashing in this digital world. now even photoshop is the best crasher which overtook all time great crasher InDesign. i don't want to share any ideas about this permanent error which already infected almost all other adobe apps.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Correction in Dictionary Criteria for Hyphens (Portuguese)

Most of hyphenation in Portuguese splits sylables from two consonants in a row (r-r, s-s Ex: 'car-ro', 'profis-são'), but this is not true for nasal sounds formed with the letter H (lh, nh) and I see myself having to review this hyphenation constantly. For example, the correct hyphenation is 'traba-lho', but inDesign usually hyphenates 'trabal-ho' (which is incorrect). It is a simple addition to the program that could save a lot of reviewing time.
    There are some other issues too.
    Could you please check that out and review the hyphenation rules as of grammar? Portuguese has quite a bit…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow object styles to be applies to all threaded text boxes

I have a couple of threaded text frames. I would like them to all have the same object style, which also includes a paragraph style in them.

As of now, indesign officially states that threaded text boxes can't share these settings. I can see why this makes sense in certain conflicting situations, but it is definitely required in many situations (just as I'm really needing it now).

I think it's fair for indesign to at least have it as an option that can be turned on or off - the option to apply object styles (e.g. paragraph styles) across threaded…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Ability to add an image to a note

Add the ability to add an image to a note. I work with technical manuals that are image heavy and some of my reviewers like to add examples of what they're looking for by showing an example of a different document.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Option to select all text over multiple components in InCopy

It is impossible to select all text in an article that exists over multiple components.
    Now you can only copy text from one component at the time.
    Would be helpful, for example, if you need to quickly copy the article to be pasted in an email so it can be send to somebody to review.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  InCopy  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Import Options for Place from CC Libraries (as there is for normal Place command)

Place from CC Libraries command doesn't have Import Options like normal Place command has – so we can't choose whether or not the Background should be Transparent or not.

FIX THIS. It's such a common function needed and it's still lacking after all these years since CC Libraries were introduced as a suggested defacto for storing, using and sharing common assets.

What takes!?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Playing GIFs in InDesign, improve export to PDF

Currently there is no way to add a GIF image to the indesign file. In my case I would like to place a GIF image into my portfolio with ability to export it into PDF keeping the play function of the image. Neither in InDesign nor PDFs support this feature and the only way is to present it is to export into EPUB which is useless for the sake of the portfolio sharing as if it limits how file could be reviewed. Please, look at the problem and add interactive feature as if it will be helpful for presentations…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add Clarivate Endnote for Indesign - Dynamic - work straight from indesign itself

No need to tell Adobe that MS Word is NOT the way to layout text and graphics, but academia is stuck using MS Word because Adobe does not have support for Endnote software. Indesign endnote features can't compete with the specific capability of the Endnote software. (Search loads of online resources for your references.
    Access to full text research articles.
    Access your research from the cloud.
    Automatic and bulk reference updating..
    Search, read & review PDFs in your library.)
    PLEASE CONSIDER ADDING. Do not want it for incopy, or to import from Word, but to layout DIRECTLY in Indesign when…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Generative AI features for document design and styles application/revision

When can we expect some more comprehensive/advanced baked-in AI features in InDesign? E.g. apply this doc's formatting to this unformatted one, apply these styles likewise for the next 40pgs, take my branding library and apply it to this new doc, review this doc and flag stylistic inconsistencies, etc. Seems like when and not if. Looking forward to the day!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Backup the user-defined Document Presets in a different file than Preferences

At the moment, if a user creates several "New Document" Presets in the "New Document" window, they will be deleted if the User has to reset their InDesign preferences.

It would make more sense if the hard work that is put into creating New Document Presets was saved in a different system file (or clouded) so that
    1-they don't get lost if resetting InDesign Preferences and
    2-the Presets could be shared with other team members easily

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?