The current Pantone Plus Color swatches (Color Bridge in particular) are not being updated when the Adobe software updated with updates
The Pantone Swatches do not update when updating Adobe software in the cloud. And updating with Pantone Color Manager is completely inane.
I have the most recent update for Adobe (InDesign CC Release 2017.1, and a build of 126.96.36.199 x64) and have loaded the most recent Pantone Color Manager to update the Pantone Plus Color Bridge colors (i started with one color library... updating all libraries would take at least a half day)
1. I can no longer search for colors as I used to, so I manually have to scroll through the whole list to find the general color and this is very tedious.
2. The library upgrades are tied to Pantone color swatch book serial numbers. Even when using serial numbers the Color Manager app started telling me after one month of usage that I needed to reactivate because my license was up.
- There seems to be no way to delete the old color libraries, and the new ones load at the bottom of the list.
I know this is a partnership between Adobe and Pantone, however Adobe software is useless if we cannot choose industry standard colors. It's been extremely challenging, especially with a CC subscription.
Color choice is a basic part of each program, so having this fundamental issue makes it hard to create work, prepare files for printing or uploading while expecting similar results.
Thanks for reporting this issue. We understand why the present behavior is not desirable for your needs.
We are going to consider this as a new Feature Request. Accordingly, we’ve moved this to the Feature Request category.
Adobe InDesign team
It's been a few years... Any updates on this?
Ruth Munro commented
We bought new Pantone swatches in January, but I keep managing to pick colours from them that are not available in InDesign. Why aren't the colours in InDesign updated as soon as possible after Pantone release them?
It doesn't help a designer set up a spot color job if the swatch from Pantone is NOT listed in the swatch books!
Look up PMS 2347 Either U or C... Let me know what you find!
Hello indesign team, I would like to add a comment to bump this issue so you prioritize it as an update or new feature. I cannot download external software to add new colors manually due to software restrictions by my employer. Please make sure you prioritize this. It has always been challenging to add new colors manually when Pantone adds new ones to their book. It is a poor user experience. It is something that you should devote resources to fix.
the thing is that this should not have even been a problem nor qualify for a 'future feature request'.
These are table stakes.
Adobe make software to that encompasses a production workflow. Seems ridiculous to not keep this up to date (not even current to 2014 pantone standards).
Andy Lang commented
I can't find your comment that I received in an email: "Please refer to this article : http://successfulfashiondesigner.com/tutorials/where-are-the-pantone-colors-in-adobe-illustrator/.
It works the same way for InDesign as well."
You are missing the point. I know how to find Pantone Colors in InDesign. The problem is that the Pantone color book that is delivered with the recent Adobe software is outdated and is missing colors that Pantone has added a few years ago. A professional design software like InDesign should always have the most recent Pantone Color book.
Jeff Jensen commented
Ravi & Sakshi,
I had one project where I was using 11 Pantone+ Solid Coated spot colors - something like 6 of them were not in InDesign, but they were in my Pantone formula guide (2nd edition, 3rd printing), which I purchased maybe two years ago. I had to purchase a Pantone software package (Pantone Color Manager) to manually import these colors into InDesign from that software package for me to get the design I wanted. The ones I had to add manually were Pantone 2270, 2013, 2184, 2034, 2228 and 7961. The issue definitely exists with Pantone colors with 4 numbers in the name - not all, but some.
For instance, just checking this morning, at a minimum at least these Pantone colors are not available in the most current version of InDesign, but they are in my Pantone Solid Coated Formula Guide (2nd ed., 3rd printing): 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, 2337, 2338, 2339, 2340, 2341, 2342, 2343, 2029, 2030, 2031, 2032, 2033, 2034, 2035, 2344, 2345, 2346, 2347, 2348, 2349, 2350, 2036, 2037, 2038, 2039, 2040, 2041, 2042. Certainly there are more, but that is from the first ~20% of my Pantone+ Solid Coated Formula Guide, and that is around 50 colors already.
1. Configuration: I am using Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1, with Adobe Creative Cloud always updated, InDesign CC always updated (currently version 13.1 x64). I am in the United States but I use the version of InDesign with native Arabic support because of some of my agency's clientele.
2. Exact steps to update Pantone Color Manager - it has been a while since I've used it and my software access has expired, but from what I recall, the steps are you go to the Fan Deck in the lower right, select Pantone Master Standards, pick the formula guide you want then pick the colors from there and put them in a custom palette. This is where is gets fuzzy, so I could be wrong, but I think from there you go to File --> Export... and follow the instructions there. (Again my software has expired, and right now I do not have a need to renew it, otherwise I could provide more exact steps.)
3. I just sent a screenshot to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is from the Swatches panel --> New Color Swatch...
4 & 5 i have no experience with, so I cannot help there.
Let me know if I can provide further information.
Andy Lang commented
"InDesign ships its own Pantone Color Books" this is the problem. InDesign should be updated with the current Pantone Color Book swatches. Isn't Adobe working together with Pantone to do this?
Thank you for reporting the issue. I'll be needing some details from you so as to reproduce the issue and get it fixed at our end.
1. What is the configuration you are using ? e.g. Mac/Windows, Locale ?
2. What are the exact steps that you have followed to update Pantone Color Manager? -- This is the most important information I'll be needing to assist you as InDesign ships its own Pantone Color Books.
3. Please share a screenshot where you are not able to search colors, as I am able to do so while making a new swatch and loading any ColorBook.
4. Can you please more information on : "The library upgrades are tied to Pantone color swatch book serial numbers. Even when using serial numbers the Color Manager app started telling me after one month of usage that I needed to reactivate because my license was up."
5. Where are you exactly expecting to delete old color libraries?
You can share all this information with screenshots, videos or any other way you like at email@example.com