Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Corrupt/pixelated cursor Issue in InDesign on MacOS High Sierra

In InDesign is a Problem with the Cursor on iOS Hight Sierra Beta Version 10.13 (17A315i). I Attached a short Video file. It is better as the describe when you what I means. Thank you.

299 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

240 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Mouse-click in menus becomes disabled

InDesign 12.1.0.56; macOS Sierra 10.12.5; Magic Mouse

The issue varies with any file. I have mostly seen this occur when in the Find/Change window, or when I try and select a font. My mouse will not be able to click (select) anything in the drop down menus. I am able to select with my keyboard by using the arrows and "return" key. To get the mouse to click (select) an option from a drop down menu, I must first restart InDesign and then open the same file.

72 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

91 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have tried to replicate the issue at our end but have not been able to, so far.
        We need your help to investigate what could be causing this.
        When you encounter this issue, quit InDesign and copy the Preferences and Cache to a shared location (like Dropbox, WeTransfer, etc.) and share the link with us.

• Can't drag objects

I am unable to drag objects/textbox/etc in InDesign. I can resize using corner handles but I'm unable to click and drag object to desired location I've uninstalled, reinstalled, shutdown, restarted, cleared all settings, etc and nothing seems to work. I have never encountered this issue in all my years of using InDesign. Please help!

43 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

117 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We would need more details from you all to help with our investigation into the issue. Please provide the information as mentioned below.

1. OS Version?
          2. Are you able to resize the object which you are not able to drag?
          3. Is your Application Frame On or Off?
          4. Does is issue happen with a specific kind of Object, let’s say Text, Rectangle, graphic frame.

• Filetype is the same as CC 2018

InDesign CC 2019 (14.0.0.130) for Mac
          Filetype is the same as CC 2018. Each version has been given a unique Filetype. The only exception is v6.0.0–6.0.3 (CS4), but it was fixed as a bug in 6.0.4. I also expect it to be fixed as a bug of 14.0.0 as well.

38 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This has been done to preclude any new entries for CFBundleTypeOSTypes. The previous release, CC2018 had CFBundleTypeOSType as IDdD but for the new release, we have not created the new OSType entry as IDdE rather kept the previos entry intact.

Apple had deprecated any entries of the form of CFBundleType from 10.5 and now recommends using a UTType(Uniform Type Identifier) entry instead of creating CFBundleType entries. We might choose creating UTTypes in the future. However, for now we have stopped creating separate CFBundleTypes for the new releases.
            It would helpful to know from you as to how you use these entries in your workflows so that we can suggest you an alternative.

• serial number changed on cc2019

User is not required to fill-in a serial number on CC apps, but nevertheless the numbers still exist and are used by 3rd party script creators to identify the user and license the script.
            this SN was kept the same on all CC versions but now it was changed. this means I need to repurchase my scripts licenses.
            the 3rd party programmer can't use just username becuase there may be more than one indesign license under one username.
            suggested solution: just keep the SN as it was on CC2018 and don'r make us pay for nothing

22 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

The fix for this issue is now available in the beta builds of InDesign. You can download the latest beta build from Download section of InDesign Prerelease portal.

1. Go to https://www.adobeprerelease.com
              2. Log in with your Adobe Id.
              3. Once logged in, search for “InDesign CC Prerelease” program in the list.
              4. Click on the program to join the same.
              5. You can now download the build (14.0.2.315) from “Builds and Plugins” section on the page.
              6. The steps for installing the build can be found in the release notes

• 2019 workspace not sticking

upon opening a new document in Indesign 2019, workspace needs to be reset every time to return to preferred working environment.

18 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Incopy 2019 cannot open icap file created by ID 2019

.icap files created with ID 2019 cannot be opened with IC 2019 with error message „An error occured while opening the file.“ Tested on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

12 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Cannot use to gray or white when using Presentation view

Gray or white background not available when using Presentation view in 2017 CC InDesign. I've tried using multiple combinations of "W" and control, option, command, etc. to no avail.

8 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • installed font missing

InDesign 13.0.1 on macOS 10.12.6

One installed font from a family of 6 suddenly started showing as not found. Frutiger LT Pro 67 Bold Condensed was correctly showing, now not.

I have re-installed InDesign twice, reinstalled the font, and rebooted several times. Font is correctly showing still in Illustrator and Photoshop.

This is impacting client files and while I have a workaround, I am concerned the problem will occur with other fonts where I don't have a viable solution. (I have another foundry version of that particular font.)

Screen shots attached.

many thanks

7 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Please try it out with the latest release and if even then you encountering the same issue, please share the font file of that particular font with which you are facing the issue.

Please do mention your machine configuration like OS, Locale. You can also send files/links directly to paawasth@adobe.com.

Thanks,
                      Payal

• File rename

InDesign 13.0 running Mac OX 10.12.6

If and INDD file is renamed in the Finder when it's open in InDesign, saving the file will cause an error dialog to appear saying "Changes cannot be save as InDesign can no longer access the '[filepath:newfilename]' file. Place the file in the original location and try again." This error message appears whether trying to do a simple save or even Save As.

This error appears even though both the window header and the file name in the error message both reflect the changed (not the original) file name.

Unless file is restored to…

7 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
                        Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
                        Abhinav Kaushik
                        InDesign Team

• Search field does not work in Open dialogue box

Simple search filename request in the Open dialogue box and the search does not work in InDesign. This works in EVERY SINGLE OTHER APPLICATION KNOWN TO MAN. Just not in InDesign. InDesign is becoming the most unstable app I have ever worked within in over 10 years. Come on Adobe - this is Mac App 101 and you are FAILING MISERABLY. Fix this embarrassment immediately.

7 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Hyperlinks not detected

The "Convert URLs to Hyperlinks" function in the hyperlinks panel is not working properly in CC 2018. Not all the links are detected. There doesn’t seem to be any logic in which links are detected and which are not, it seems very random.

6 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

I tried out with various hyperlinks and the function is working fine for me.

Please try it out with the latest release and even then if you encountering the same issue,
                            please provide sample documents with which you are facing the issue or just add a small video (on WeTransfer/Youtube/Dropbox) and share the link.

Please do mention your machine configuration like OS, Locale.

You can also send files/links directly to paawasth@adobe.com

Thanks & Regards
                            Payal Awasthi (InDesign Team)

• Indesign not working with macOS High Sierra download

My Adobe InDesign is showing blank window and no tools after downloading macOS High Sierra. Help?

6 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Text wraps when replacing a swatch

If I replace a swatch the text wraps at one place. It happens just with one color in the document... I doesn't matter which swatch I use for replacing... I never seen this before. I image how risky that is when you're replacing a swatch in a large project like a catalog and than somewhere in the document text is wraping...

6 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • InDesign CC2019: Mouse cursor is quickly flashing whenever moving placed objects

The mouse cursor is quickly flashing and lagging whenever moving placed objects and it makes it really hard to click/drag/edit the image

5 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Windows recents files (at opening)

Sometimes the files are two times on the panel (same file) and sometimes is a wrong link (opening an other file the icon seems to be).
                                  Quit, refresh, open an other file : nothing to get the right link.
                                  Since the late update march 2018 ; I am on 13.1.
                                  Thank you for resolving idea,
                                  Pierre

5 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have recently released InDesign CC 2019 and we believe that this issue should no longer occur.

You can download the latest version of InDesign from the Creative Cloud Desktop application.

Please confirm if the issue has got fixed.

Adobe InDesign team

• InDesign steals focus in Windows 10

Whenever InDesign launches or performs a task such as PDF export, if the user switches to another application, InDesign will steal the focus back.

This annoyance has been around for quite some time as outlined in this thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2001514

5 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

On Windows 10, the focus stealing does not happen with InDesign CC 2018. Same with Illustrator CC 2018.
                                      However, as some users have noted, focus stealing happens with Photoshop CC 2018.

We’d like to know if you are still experiencing this issue with InDesign.

Thanks,
                                      Adobe InDesign team

• The "Find" function doesn't work properly. It writes backward or not at all

The "Find" function doesn't work properly. It writes backward or not at all

5 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Anchored frame looses the XML tag information as soon as anchor is released/anchor point is moved forward.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create an anchored text/graphic frame with some inline text/image. Tag the frame with some XML Tag (say 'tag1').

2. Now release the anchor.

Expected output
                                        - On releasing the anchor, there should be no changes in the XML tag on frame.

Actual output
                                        - On releasing the anchor, the frame gets untagged.

Additional note: Similar thing happens when anchor is moved forward to another position in inline text. In this case also, frames gets untagged

5 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• arabic harakats moving

Hi!

There is interesting bug with arabic letters. When we have aleef-lyam-aleef with harakats + footnote references with more than one symbol (from 1 to 9, no problem, 10+ or (1), problems starts) on the line, harakats swap together. Have tried with multiple fonts, most of them (adobe font too) got this error.

Tested this in 2014 and 2018 ME versions of Indesign.

Hope you can easily fix it, cause it's a real problem for book publishing.
                                          Thank you!

4 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base