Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6469 results found

1. InDesign 13.1 and osX 10.13.5 - missing print package menu

With this version of InDesign and osX there's no Print package menu item in the Files menu?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Modal disappearing, causing deadlock

Sometimes the Options-Window I have to frequently use to change the baseline-grid (sic!) disappears miraculously thus disabling any input (thankfully I hit save regularly).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Indesign unable to open few Indesign files

InDesign is not able to open Indesign files. Says its may not support file format.
    We have reinstalled Adobe Indesign and it doesn't help.
    InDesign files can be viewed as pdf and opened in Adobe illustrator but can't open the original files.
    How do we work around this.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Align window is empty

After the latest update of InDesign CC 2018 to v. 13.1.0.76 the align window is empty (see my screenshot). I work on a Mac with El Capitan.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Place PDF causes InDesign to fail requiring force quit.

InDesign CC 13.1, OSX 10.13.5 on iMac Retina 5k 27-inch Late 2014.

All updates are latest available. Attempting to place a PDF file (single page) into an InDesign document with "Show Import Options" selected (only) results in a mostly-empty "Place PDF" dialog box. Mousing over the box causes missing parts to appear one-by-one, except the "Place" button. Clicking "cancel" closes the dialog box but then many/most InDesign functions no longer work, including menu items. InDesign won't quit, either from the File/Quit menu item or command-Q. Only way to restore the application is to force quit. This bug is 100% repeatable.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. InDesign 2018 13.1 crashing when saving back to Studio Server

We've just updated our studio with new macs, running High Sierra Version 10.13.4 and the most recent InDesign Version 13.1.

When we open a .indb document and edit one of the individual .indd files within it and attempt to save back to our Studio NAS drive/Server on our ethernet network the program crashes, corrupts the entire file and makes no effort to restore the file.

We are also running our old Macs, on Yosemite 10.10.5 with Indesign 2017 and have not experienced this issue at all for the 7 years we have used these machines.

We’ve looked on various forums…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Can't Open JPEG file

Hi there

I am having trouble opening up .jpeg files from Indesign. It is installed as a part of my Creative Cloud subscription. Please see attached for the error that pops up. Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    G

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. swatches don't merge when importing paragraph styles

When importing paragraph styles from the CC Library, the swatch colors for the styles get added to already existing swatches creating duplicates rather than merging. By the time all paragraph styles are added, there are 10+ swatches of the exact same color....

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The PANTONE 540 CP swatch, when added in InDesign, is a CMYK ‘Process’ Color swatch – it comes from the PANTONE Color Bridge Coated library. This swatch was used in a Paragraph Style and this style was added to the CC Libraries.

You also created another swatch (a custom swatch) which has the same name – PANTONE 540 CP but it is a CMYK ‘Spot’ Color swatch. This was present in the document when the Paragraph Style (created above) was added from CC Libraries to the Paragraph Styles panel.

When the Paragraph Style was added from CC Libraries to the Paragraph Styles panel, it found that a swatch with the name “PANTONE 540 CP” already exists in the document. Since swatches with the same name but different definitions cannot exist together in a document, it added the incoming swatch with a different name – “PANTONE 540 CP 2”…

9. InDesign CC 2017.1 12.1.0.56 build links panel redraw issue

InDesign CC 2017.1 12.1.0.56 build links panel redraw issue. My links palette will not display correctly, even after closing and reopening. Sometimes I can't really use it at all. The divider between the links list and links info moves up and down, but it's hard to read and I can't always select an image or mulitple images. Restarting the app, restarting my computer, seems to make no difference.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 'Move Pages' causes the position of content to shift to the right on right-side pages, master same for both files

'Move Pages' causes the position of content to shift to the right on right-side pages, even though the master pages are the same for both files.

I am trying to take several page sets and combine them in one file, but I have to manually fix them after moving the pages over. Very concerning as I'm not sure if anything else is breaking or getting lost in the move.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Duplicate Page Sizes

If I go to add a new page, for some reason all my page sizes are duplicated.

The secondary one don't do anything and can't be clicked on, the first one works correctly as it should.

InDesign 13.1 MacOS 10.13.5

Done all the usual restarts, check for updates etc.

Any ideas?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2023(v18.5.0.057) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

12. ICML export doesn't include <HyperlinkPageDestination> elements

(Affects all versions of InDesign that support ICML export)

Export the story in the attached document to ICML. Delete the story in InDesign and then re-import the ICML. The Hyperlinks panel shows "The referenced paragraph or text anchor is missing".

This is only a problem for the ICML export of internal links. Hyperlinks to pages in external documents are exported correctly. The information is also correctly stored when saved to IDML.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. alt/spacebar navigation

WTF has happened to the alt/spacebar shortcut for navigating pages with the T tool? It's suddenly become much more sensitive to release timing, so if my finger comes off the alt button a split-second early I end up with rogue spaces in text. Never used to be a problem.

InDesign CC 2017.1, 12.1.0.56 Build.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. high sierra 13.5

I have a MacBook Pro 2018 and upgraded my OS to 10.13.5 last week. Ever since upgrading to High Sierra originally I had some issues with the program freezing when my computer was running lots of programs. However, after upgrading the OS last week now Indesign has become almost non-functional (I have CC v. 13.1 ). Every time I click to simply type or scroll pages the colour wheel spins and it takes literally minutes to make a single click.

I have restarted my computer, tried using different files locally on my machine and an our company server. Documents with…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. XMP

In InDesign CC, I can not open the information tab anymore (mac)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When creating a EPUB with jpeg images there is always a .PNG file

When creating a EPUB with jpg images there is always a large .png file in the EPUB (it this is not an image). Publish Drive is refusing my EPUB because of this .PNG file.
    Please help

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. when I export to pdf or jpeg, ID says file already exists!

when I try to export a file to pdf or jpeg, InDesign tells me file already exists. How can I fix this?? Also, I'm getting messages that I don't have permission to open or modify files. Using ID 2018

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. inverting years automatically

inverting years
    I'm working on a book about archaeology and just noticed that in a text indesign switched years in a date before BC, It should be 1650-1050 and it switches automatically to 1050-1650, is this a bug or is it some preferences that make this happen? Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. US Dictionary continues to use UK spellings

My Indesign Dictionary is set to English: USA, but it still regularly corrects to UK spellings i.e. enrol vs. enroll. I am running Indesign 13.1. Can this be fixed?

https://highgatecreative.d.pr/4tqesc

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The Dictionary section in Preferences dialog shows the Dictionary that is in use for a particular Language. The path (which looks like /Linguistics/UserDictionaries/Adobe Custom Dictionary/…) shown in the dialog is the location of the dictionary that is being used. You can add your own custom User Dictionary by clicking on the + button.
    The Language used for Spell check is NOT the one chosen in the Preferences dialog.

To specify the default Language used for Spell check for all documents, you should close all documents and select the Type Tool. The Control panel (when Character Formatting Controls – ‘A’ button is selected at the left) shows the Default Language set for all documents. This is the language used for Spell Check. You can also open the Paragraph Styles panel, double-click on the [Basic Paragraph] style and under Advanced Character Formats section, change the Language.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign…

20. The Application frame need many clicks before it wants to move.

I have to click about 5-10-20 times on the Application Frame of InDesign CC 2018 to make it move. I tried to click on different places and it still the same problem. Sometimes it works on the first clic, but more often i have to click many times. I'm on Mac OS 10.11.6, InDesign 13.1. I had the problem on the trial version, i called Adobe Technical service, and they told me to update when my licence will be activated... but it is now, i'm on the last version, and i still have the same problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base