Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6480 results found

1. 'Move Pages' causes the position of content to shift to the right on right-side pages, master same for both files

'Move Pages' causes the position of content to shift to the right on right-side pages, even though the master pages are the same for both files.

I am trying to take several page sets and combine them in one file, but I have to manually fix them after moving the pages over. Very concerning as I'm not sure if anything else is breaking or getting lost in the move.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Duplicate Page Sizes

If I go to add a new page, for some reason all my page sizes are duplicated.

The secondary one don't do anything and can't be clicked on, the first one works correctly as it should.

InDesign 13.1 MacOS 10.13.5

Done all the usual restarts, check for updates etc.

Any ideas?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2023(v18.5.0.057) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. ICML export doesn't include <HyperlinkPageDestination> elements

(Affects all versions of InDesign that support ICML export)

Export the story in the attached document to ICML. Delete the story in InDesign and then re-import the ICML. The Hyperlinks panel shows "The referenced paragraph or text anchor is missing".

This is only a problem for the ICML export of internal links. Hyperlinks to pages in external documents are exported correctly. The information is also correctly stored when saved to IDML.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. alt/spacebar navigation

WTF has happened to the alt/spacebar shortcut for navigating pages with the T tool? It's suddenly become much more sensitive to release timing, so if my finger comes off the alt button a split-second early I end up with rogue spaces in text. Never used to be a problem.

InDesign CC 2017.1, 12.1.0.56 Build.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. high sierra 13.5

I have a MacBook Pro 2018 and upgraded my OS to 10.13.5 last week. Ever since upgrading to High Sierra originally I had some issues with the program freezing when my computer was running lots of programs. However, after upgrading the OS last week now Indesign has become almost non-functional (I have CC v. 13.1 ). Every time I click to simply type or scroll pages the colour wheel spins and it takes literally minutes to make a single click.

I have restarted my computer, tried using different files locally on my machine and an our company server. Documents with…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. XMP

In InDesign CC, I can not open the information tab anymore (mac)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. When creating a EPUB with jpeg images there is always a .PNG file

When creating a EPUB with jpg images there is always a large .png file in the EPUB (it this is not an image). Publish Drive is refusing my EPUB because of this .PNG file.
    Please help

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. when I export to pdf or jpeg, ID says file already exists!

when I try to export a file to pdf or jpeg, InDesign tells me file already exists. How can I fix this?? Also, I'm getting messages that I don't have permission to open or modify files. Using ID 2018

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. inverting years automatically

inverting years
    I'm working on a book about archaeology and just noticed that in a text indesign switched years in a date before BC, It should be 1650-1050 and it switches automatically to 1050-1650, is this a bug or is it some preferences that make this happen? Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. US Dictionary continues to use UK spellings

My Indesign Dictionary is set to English: USA, but it still regularly corrects to UK spellings i.e. enrol vs. enroll. I am running Indesign 13.1. Can this be fixed?

https://highgatecreative.d.pr/4tqesc

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The Dictionary section in Preferences dialog shows the Dictionary that is in use for a particular Language. The path (which looks like /Linguistics/UserDictionaries/Adobe Custom Dictionary/…) shown in the dialog is the location of the dictionary that is being used. You can add your own custom User Dictionary by clicking on the + button.
    The Language used for Spell check is NOT the one chosen in the Preferences dialog.

To specify the default Language used for Spell check for all documents, you should close all documents and select the Type Tool. The Control panel (when Character Formatting Controls – ‘A’ button is selected at the left) shows the Default Language set for all documents. This is the language used for Spell Check. You can also open the Paragraph Styles panel, double-click on the [Basic Paragraph] style and under Advanced Character Formats section, change the Language.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign…

11. The Application frame need many clicks before it wants to move.

I have to click about 5-10-20 times on the Application Frame of InDesign CC 2018 to make it move. I tried to click on different places and it still the same problem. Sometimes it works on the first clic, but more often i have to click many times. I'm on Mac OS 10.11.6, InDesign 13.1. I had the problem on the trial version, i called Adobe Technical service, and they told me to update when my licence will be activated... but it is now, i'm on the last version, and i still have the same problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. hand tool

Hand tool icon not appearing under random conditions CC 2018.

Very confusing when you hit spacebar and move icon does not change, yet functionally still works.

EXAMPLE: move icon is still there despite pressing spacebar. I wait for it to change to the hand icon, but nothing. Then i try to use it as 'normal', and it works as the hand tool, then changes at last.

It should change when you press it. NOT not wait, until you USE it.

Mac High Sierra

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. When i go into File- Export, only the bottom half of the Export Adobe PDF pop up is showing up on my screen.

THe PDF export window is not showing up in its entirely on my screen. The top half is missing so I cannot change and of my settings and I cannot grab the top of the pop up to move it down the page. So I cannot submit any pages to my printer since it's not set on the printer's settings. How can I move this pop up down on my screen?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Adjusting dashes and gaps on path moves dashes off path

Opened a PDF of a line chart in Illustrator, copied/pasted into InDesign CC 13.0.1, then noticed the dashes of stroked paths didn't follow the path accurately in some places. On setting the "Corners" control to "None" those path's dashes snapped precisely to the path, but selecting any of the three Corners settings made the dashes move off the path the same amount. See attached PDF for before/after images.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. InDesign is unusable after the latest update (13.1) with spell checking and hyphenation is set to Hungarian / Winsoft.

InDesign is unusable after the latest update (13.1) if spell checking and hyphenation is set to Hungarian / Winsoft. All words are underlined as incorrectly spelled, hyphenation dosen't work, InDesign hangs. If I open a documents saved before the update InDesign displays the document, than hangs.

OS Sierra 10.26.6

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

We’ve been able to reproduce the issue and it is currently under investigation.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

16. Hyperlinks and Email addresses not working when exporting interactive PDF from InDesign CC 13.0 x64 on windows platform.

My department is tasked with creating 508 accessible documents. In 2017 version of InDesign, we did not have any issues exporting documents containing hyperlinks or email addresses. Now when I run the accessibility report, every one of them fail. We absolutely need to find a fix for this so that we can meet our client needs.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Spelling Language - everything switched to English (UK) but keeps Arabic

I have switched Preferences and all other options to English (UK) but the Check Spelling sticks to Arabic. I am not able to change this setting.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Dictionary options in Preferences dialog is just for defining the chosen Language properties i.e. when you go to Preferences > Dictionary and select any language (say ‘German: Old Rules’) in Language dropdown, it does not signify that ‘German: Old Rules’ is applied or set as a language. It only signifies the User Dictionary that is used for that language, giving you the option to add more custom dictionaries. Also any changes that you make in Hyphenation, Spelling, Double Quotes and Single Quotes section in Preferences > Dictionary would pertain to that Language only. To use those settings you have to manually apply the Language from Control panel/Character panel or from Paragraph/Character Style to the text.

You can verify this by following steps:

Go to Preferences > Dictionary and select ‘German: Old Rules’, etc. in Language dropdown.
    Change Spelling or Hyphenation setting and click OK.
    Now create a text frame. The…

18. Preferences Reset after working with a large XML based file

I work with large XML files to create catalogs several times a month. This results in InDesign giving me a lot of "Continue without Undo" prompts anytime I do any action (even scrolling and zooming), so I save the file and quit InDesign. Upon reopening InDesign, it says that it cannot read my preference file and resets everything.

This is extremely frustrating, as while my workspace is saved, all of the character/paragraph/object styles, swatches, and program settings are completely wiped, as are all the tool tips and notifications. Barring being able to not have this problem occur regularly, is there…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for providing the information. Just copy the preference and try the following workflow –
    • Delete InDesign preferences
    • Copy the InDesign corrupt preferences.
    • Launch InDesign.
    • An alert would come that the preference have been reset.

If the above workflow works with the copied preference, Zip them and mail it to santalwa@adobe.com.

Regards
    InDesign Team

19. InDesign False Ligatures Bug

InDesign sometimes, seemingly randomly, replaces pairs such as hn, il, io, sy, ek, etc. with completely wrong glyph, such as accented Y, U, etc., when regular Ligature setting is applied. This has been a problem since CS5 and we recently had it occur in CC2015, so it is still there. Affected fonts have been many over the years, including licensed Adobe fonts. Fonts can be Open Type or PostScript. Language setting can be English US, UK, or seemingly anything else. The only thing that works to avoid it is to turn off Ligatures which is generally unacceptable, so the only…

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    We are unable to reproduce the issue in-house.

In case you have some consistent steps to reproduce the issue from scratch, please feel free to send a mail at amaarora@adobe.com or start a new thread on this portal

Thanks

20. InDesign crashes while working with Hyperlink

For some reason there is 1 page number on my TOC that keeps making Indesign crash when I try applying a hyperlink to it. Everything else hyperlinked just fine. Also, I tried to delete the text so I could maybe retype the number but that also makes my application crash.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base