Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Photo in frame showing outside of stroke

Buggy thin line (part of the photo inside frame) is visible If frame have stroke aligned inside of the frame. See the screenshot and photo of issue. Photo present proof from printed after RIP in printing house.
    Problem is known from 2009 and still exist!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Crop to settings not changing from Bounding Box

While placing an image, after choosing Show Import Options, I try to select something other than Bounding Box in the Crop to settings and it won't let me change how it is inserted. I have tried this with both PDFs and AI files, and it is a problem for my coworkers as well who are using 2018. After restarting InDesign, I didn't have the problem anymore.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Find/Change | Object | Selection | Won't change colour if in a group

Hi. I think I might have found a bug.

Find/Change | Object | Selection | Won't change colour if in a group.
    (It works if 'Search' is set to Document.)

1.png
    Shows a test. I want to change the Yellow to Red.

2.png
    Shows the top group colour not changing if 'Search | Section' is chosen

3.png
    Shows both colours changing to Red if 'Search | Document' is chosen

Can this be fixed please, or an option to Change Items in a group f it was a 'Feature'.

Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Can't import RAW fiels anymore

Usually I drag and drop from Lr to Id and it works well. From jpeg, dng, tiff, psd, raw files (CR2 Canon). But today it is not working.

Actual result below:

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. updating links

When updating links in InDesign CC 14.0 (an InDesign file linked to 4 instances) the update comes in too large for the frame. So you have to Fit Content Proportionally. This happens with PSD and AI files as well.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. export jpg

Hi!
    Found major of bugs in the new upgrade of Creative Suite. This is one.
    When I create a document with a background image and duplicate the background and mirror it to fill the complete background. A thin line will appear when I export it to JPG but not PDF.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Color Reading Completely Incorrectly

Adobe. This is an insane problem to have not fixed.

Colors are seriously displaying incorrectly. From one program to another the colors look different and they do not at all match the way the color read in 2018.

The attached shows the same color in Indesign 2019 (left) and Illustrator 2019 (right)

This is a serious issue that people have been having since the 2019 update and I cannot believe there is not an update to fix this yet.

Every time Adobe releases an update lately I hesitate to download. The ideas behind the updates are intended to increase functionality…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Clicking on image doesn't show it in the Links panel

Clicking on an image within a frame doesn't show it in the Links panel, so I have to scroll through the list of links to find the image - This sometimes works, sometimes does not.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. can't place image on rotated page

When placing an image on to a rotated page the image is placed outside the work area! Does not mater if I choose place from the File meny or drag and drop from the desktop. No mater where I place it on my page it gets sent way out with no chance of selecting it. InDesign CC 2019 (14.0)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

10. missing dialog box

When i clicked on the effect (example; gradient feather) for my image, there is no dialog box popping out. I'm unable to click on other tools and I've to use the escape key to close the 'invisible' dialog box before I can use the other tools. Hence, I'm unable to apply any effect on my image.

I'm using the Indesign CC (13.0.1) on Windows.

It feels like it's a programme bug. I've tried to reinstall the programme but it still persists.

Please assist.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Edit with other - doesn't see Photoshop as an application

I use the Indesign feature on the links menu to Edit With, either using the default application or another. We just updated to the latest CC (ps, il, in) and the other application isn't the same. For any jpg or pdf, it shows Photoshop or illustrator or Acrobat as available to open the image selected. However, if I select an ai. file, it shows Illustrator as the default, and Preview as another option - no Photoshop. I select Other to add Photoshop, go to the applications folders, click on Photoshop and it's only seeing it as a folder, not as…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. adobe stock pricing

When licensing an Adobe Stock library image from within Indesign I am charged $9.99 but if I but the image on the adobestock.com site it is $2.99. This is recent and is highly annoying.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. placed indesign shows all layers in file

It will show all the layers in the placed InDesign file despite the fact on import the option to use document layers visibility is selected. You have to manually select which layers you want visible on import.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. When I copy and paste from Illustrator CC into InDesign CC, instead of the vector art I get this text.

<!-- Generator: Adobe Illustrator 22.1.0, SVG Export Plug-In -->
    <svg version=”1.1”
    xmlns=”http://www.w3.org/2000/svg” xmlns:xlink=”http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink” xmlns:a=”http://ns.adobe.com/AdobeSVGViewerExtensions/3.0/
    x=”0px” y=”0px” width=”5.9px” height=”5.9px” viewBox=”0 0 5.9 5.9” style=”enable-background:new 0 0 5.9 5.9;”
    xml:space=”preserve”>
    <style type=”text/css”>
    .st0{clip-path:url(#SVGID_2_);fill:none;stroke:#231F20;stroke-width:0.421;stroke-miterlimit:3.864;}
    .st1{clip-path:url(#SVGID_4_);fill:none;stroke:#231F20;stroke-width:0.421;stroke-miterlimit:3.864;}
    </style>
    <defs>
    </defs>
    <g>
    <defs>
    <rect id=”SVGID_1_” width=”5.9” height=”5.9”/>
    </defs>
    <clipPath id=”SVGID_2_”>
    <use xlink:href=”#SVGID_1_” style=”overflow:visible;”/>
    </clipPath>
    <circle class=”st0” cx=”3” cy=”3” r=”2.8”/>
    </g>
    </svg>

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. InCopy assignment names don't change with file name

Backstory:
    We have particularly formatted files that we use to create new versions for new products. The copy isn't created new, but modified from the old version that was already used in InCopy.

The Issue:
    My InCopy guy FREAKS OUT when he sees the name of the assignment assets (attached screenshot) are that of a previous project not at all related to the file he's currently working on.

The Long and Complicated Solutions:
    I know there's a way in InCopy to rename these, but it's long, complicated and outside of a standard workflow. A shorter and easier method would be…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Placing illustrator files is very very very slow after update

After updating AI and INDD, placing AI files into INDD is taking a very long time. I made an update to an AI file that was placed into an existing INDD files that contains 13 placed AI files. I only updated a few of the linked AI files. Prior to the AI and INDD update, updating these placed links took a few seconds each max. Now, just to update the two links takes about 2 minutes.

This MAY be an AI bug, but I don't know how make that determination as I updated bothat the same time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. drag in picture size and Frame Fitting bug

when I drag in a photo into indesign, I normally can resize the frame to adjust the size of it by dragging the frame box. But at the newest indesign 13.0.1 , this option wont 100% fit in the frame box. whatever frame I tried to make, the photo just won't fit 100%. High Sirra system

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. glitchy grey squares and triangles popping up under images when placed, they also sometimes pop up under the cursor.

I keep getting grey squares and triangles pop under the cursor or under images when I place them on my document and Its very distracting. Im not sure if its anything to do with the new update?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Update images

⌘-u should invoke the "Update Links" command in this dialogue. ⌘-d should invoke "Don't update".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Text in placed Illustrator object extends out of frame in PDF

I have a map done in Illustrator, saved as an .ai file. This has been placed into InDesign and slightly cropped so that one of the text labels is cut off. When I export this to PDF, the complete line of text shows on the page, extending out past the edge of the frame. The line and shape objects are cropped to the frame though.

The attached PDF shows screenshots illustrating this.

I have had the same thing happen in the same InDesign file (well, the same map template) with a placed InDesign document instead of a placed Illustrator file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base