Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Can't Place Images with Applescript on MacOS 10.15 Catalina

InDesign 15.0.1

The Place command now fails in Applescript, following an upgrade to Catalina.
    The "Image Catalog" sample script also fails to place the images in the same manner. Image placement fails with an error 1708, <<the file string>> doesn't understand the "place" message.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign 2020 v 15.0.1, Mac OS Catalina, indd/idml legacy layouts within packaged folders, images disappear

InDesign 2020 v 15.0.1, Mac OS Catalina. When opening legacy versions of indd or idml documents within packaged folders, images flash/display briefly, then most if not all, disappear. The only solution seems t be to re-link each graphic individually.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Photo in frame showing outside of stroke

Buggy thin line (part of the photo inside frame) is visible If frame have stroke aligned inside of the frame. See the screenshot and photo of issue. Photo present proof from printed after RIP in printing house.
    Problem is known from 2009 and still exist!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. When I copy and paste from Illustrator CC into InDesign CC, instead of the vector art I get this text.

<!-- Generator: Adobe Illustrator 22.1.0, SVG Export Plug-In -->
    <svg version=”1.1”

xmlns=”<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">http://www.w3.org/2000/svg</a>” xmlns:xlink=”<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink</a>” xmlns:a=”<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="http://ns.adobe.com/AdobeSVGViewerExtensions/3.0/">http://ns.adobe.com/AdobeSVGViewerExtensions/3.0/</a>”

x=”0px” y=”0px” width=”5.9px” height=”5.9px” viewBox=”0 0 5.9 5.9” style=”enable-background:new 0 0 5.9 5.9;”
    xml:space=”preserve”&gt;

<style type=”text/css”>

.st0{clip-path:url(#SVGID_2_);fill:none;stroke:#231F20;stroke-width:0.421;stroke-miterlimit:3.864;}

.st1{clip-path:url(#SVGID_4_);fill:none;stroke:#231F20;stroke-width:0.421;stroke-miterlimit:3.864;}

</style>
    <defs>
    </defs>
    <g>

&lt;defs&gt;

&lt;rect id=”SVGID_1_” width=”5.9” height=”5.9”/&gt;
    &lt;/defs&gt;
    &lt;clipPath id=”SVGID_2_”&gt;
    &lt;use xlink:href=”#SVGID_1_” style=”overflow:visible;”/&gt;
    &lt;/clipPath&gt;
    &lt;circle class=”st0” cx=”3” cy=”3” r=”2.8”/&gt;

</g>
    </svg>

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Image tagged with sRGB, but InDesign assigns AdobeRGB (Workspace) and displays incorrect colors

I´m using Indesign 13.0.1 x64

To recreate please use the following steps (I have AdobeRGB as Working-space and preserve profiles):
    1. Create a new document
    2. Place the attached Image "Portrait_Edip-original.jpg"
    3. Look for the Profile in the links-panel

The image has sRGB but displays as Workspace RGB but my workspace is AdobeRGB and also the colors are incorrect.
    Bridge and Photoshop both show the right profile.
    When i open the image in Photoshop and save it as jpeg it works in InDesign.

I have this issue from time to time but now i´m sure it´s a bug.

I work…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

CC 2018
    Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

When trying to PLACE an EPS file get the above error. Reinstalled CC 2017 and using the exact same file works. Attached is the EPS file that we used.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

7. Object Layer Options not working using Photoshop files

I've placed the same layered photoshop files into ID three times to show how an animation works. Going to 'Object Layer Options' and clicking 'Keep Visibility Layer Overrides' is meant to keep your selected layers visible, even if the Photoshop is resaved. This no longer works. Once the link updates, all three update to look the same and forget which layers i've told it to show. Why?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Locked objects get selected

Not sure why adobe changed the lock of an item. It used to work perfect to lock my background objects. Now, it I have background objects; they still get selected even if they are locked; it's such a huge inconvenience and waste of time to sort selected objects. Please fix or put back the lock object.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Viewing page with linked image causes file to be marked as dirty (needs saving)

InDesign version: 15.1.1
    Additional versions tried: 15.0.3, 15.0, 14.0.3
    MacOS Mojave (10.14.6) on two different computers

To reproduce:
    1. Create a new empty document.
    2. Add a second page to the document.
    3. Place Image, onto the page you're viewing (I did a PNG)
    4. Save and close the document.
    5. Open the document.
    6. Wait 2-20 seconds, doing nothing to change the document.

Expected result: document opens to page with placed image, nothing else happens / changes.

Actual result: document opens to page with placed image, and after a delay the document is marked as changed (asterisk appears in…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Problem with changing the cursor to text - Indd 2020

Hello. After running the latest version of InDesign CC 2020 v. 15.03. x64, I have a problem with changing the cursor to text and to back. It takes about 40-50 seconds. This happens each time you launch InDesign. The size of the processed file does not affect the error. Thanks for feedback.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Links doensn't update, even when I click on the yellow sign

ID Version 15.0.1 (Windows)
    IL Version 24.0.2 (Windows)

I placed an Illustrator document in my indd file. When I change something in the Illustrator file, ID recognizes this with the yellow sign. If I click on this ID should refreshes the link, but instead nothing happened. Also if I try to relink the file in the Links menu nothing happened despite the yellow sign disappears.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Google File Stream Images taking a long time to update in Indesign

Since upgrading to Mac OSX Catalina and adobe 2020 I have issues with google file stream and indesign.

When I open a document with images that are saved on google drive and then open in photoshop or illutrator to edit and then save and go back to indesign, the images are showing as needing updated by indesign (yellow triangle) however the rotating / update round arrows icon is greyed out and I can't update the image. I have to wait several minutes before the image updates on indesign.

I have contacted Adobe support and apple support and neither is claiming…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. [Copyright-Notice] Automatic Caption for images

When creation an automatic caption for images it is possible to chose the option "Copyright" but this actually referts to the IPTC - Core "Source" (Quelle) and not the "Copyright - Notice" which is used by Adobe Stock.

So it is not possible to automaticly use the Adobe Stock Copyright notice because InDesign seems to read the wrong MetaData field.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Links within linked Indesign files appear pixellated even if the links are updated.

Linked images within linked Indesign files appear pixelated, even if the links are updated. It's temporarily fixed by relinking the file – but it goes back to appearing pixelated when the file is reopened. This has only happened recently and has never been a problem in the past.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. "Go back on roll over" interactive button state checked/greyed out

I was working on an interactive project and found that the "go back on roll over" option becomes turned on and greyed out so you cannot un-check the box when adding an "upon release" action to a button. I initially could NOT figure out why this was happening, and it was totally screwing up my on-click actions in my project.

Eventually, I think I figured out that it seems to happen when you create a button, add an "on roll over" action and check the box "go back on roll off", then create ANOTHER action (like "on click"), and then…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Multi-state objects and animated elements not working on State 1

InDesign CC 2019 14.0:

I have a 4 state multi-state object. Each state has a full-screen image with a text title and description which animates in (Fly-in from top) for each state upon load. Left/Right buttons control the interactivity.

However, when I add an animation to the text title/description in State-1 it causes the full-screen image to not load and the test/description text doesn't appear either. (Tested in Indesign in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and on iPad/iBooks)

When testing it in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and I go to State-2 using the buttons and then return to State-1…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. XMP file info dialog box (for linked images) no longer shows up

I clicked the flyout menu in the Links panel, and choose to display the XMP file info and the dialog box doesn't show up. It's like it is off screen somewhere, as all the menus are then grayed out. I can hit Escape a few times to get out of it. But sometimes InDesign totally locks up and I have to force quit.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Clicking on image doesn't show it in the Links panel

Clicking on an image within a frame doesn't show it in the Links panel, so I have to scroll through the list of links to find the image - This sometimes works, sometimes does not.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 'Move Pages' causes the position of content to shift to the right on right-side pages, master same for both files

'Move Pages' causes the position of content to shift to the right on right-side pages, even though the master pages are the same for both files.

I am trying to take several page sets and combine them in one file, but I have to manually fix them after moving the pages over. Very concerning as I'm not sure if anything else is breaking or getting lost in the move.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Crop to settings not changing from Bounding Box

While placing an image, after choosing Show Import Options, I try to select something other than Bounding Box in the Crop to settings and it won't let me change how it is inserted. I have tried this with both PDFs and AI files, and it is a problem for my coworkers as well who are using 2018. After restarting InDesign, I didn't have the problem anymore.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base