Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Incorrect re-linking of image files with rotation metadata

This bug occurs in all versions of InDesign.

InDesign reflects the EXIF orientation in the transform panel when an image file is placed. However, under the following conditions, the result of relinking will be incorrect.

• The image file is rotated 90 degrees with EXIF orientation.

• In the transform panel, the vertical and horizontal percentage values are different.

Image files taken with an iPhone often retain the EXIF orientation rotation. If such a file is placed in indd by the client and the vertical and horizontal percentage values are different, there will be a problem that will cause drastic changes in…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Links are not displayed

Although all my images and graphics are linked correctly and there are no errors, when opening a file, they are appearing as grey boxes. Some images are working but most of them are not. Also PDF export is therefore not working (error message attached). It doesn't matter which file type my links are as it's happening to all kinds of them (mostly TIFF and AI). Perhaps worth mentioning that this problem didn't occur in ID2019.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Open Asset Plugin window keeps opening up even though I keep shutting it. It continuously interrupts my flow.

The Open Asset plugin for Indesign continuously pops up. I don't use it. I don't want to use it. I want it to stop popping up and interrupting my workflow. If I close the window, it should stay CLOSED.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Indesign 2020 issue importing illustrator files, ignoring visible layers

when importing .ai files, InDesign 2020 seems to ignore layers that are not visible on the illustrator file, it imports it all, unless you check import options as well, so they need to be done individually, rather than a bulk update if the .ai file is updated

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. InDesign makes incorrect QR code words and we can't decode QR codes correctly.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Object->Make QR Code...
    2. Input strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    3. Result QR Code is incorrect.

Actual Result:
    Sometimes, we got the wrong code in Japanese locale.

Any Workarounds:
    Here is Japanese character strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    This was coded into the InDesign try and get "image1.png".
    Then, we try to decode it at ZXING decoder. Here is a decoded result (image2.png)

42 1e 59 58 fe 9a 18 ce 38 1a fe 69 7a 5e 69 ca
    ce 8a a9 ee 38 29 2e 6a da 3e 5b 8b 8e 38 1a be
    68 9b 1 8 0a ce 09…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

6. Links within linked Indesign files appear pixellated even if the links are updated.

Linked images within linked Indesign files appear pixelated, even if the links are updated. It's temporarily fixed by relinking the file – but it goes back to appearing pixelated when the file is reopened. This has only happened recently and has never been a problem in the past.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Placed rotated PDF - incorrect view in InDesign 2020

Has anyone noticed the following erroneous representation (high-resolution rendering) of placed PDF when rotated (e.g., 90º)?

Concerns x4 as well as x1a.

Regards,
    Joerg

InDesign 2020 v15.0.0.155
    macOS Mojave 14.6

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. [Copyright-Notice] Automatic Caption for images

When creation an automatic caption for images it is possible to chose the option "Copyright" but this actually referts to the IPTC - Core "Source" (Quelle) and not the "Copyright - Notice" which is used by Adobe Stock.

So it is not possible to automaticly use the Adobe Stock Copyright notice because InDesign seems to read the wrong MetaData field.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Google File Stream Images taking a long time to update in Indesign

Since upgrading to Mac OSX Catalina and adobe 2020 I have issues with google file stream and indesign.

When I open a document with images that are saved on google drive and then open in photoshop or illutrator to edit and then save and go back to indesign, the images are showing as needing updated by indesign (yellow triangle) however the rotating / update round arrows icon is greyed out and I can't update the image. I have to wait several minutes before the image updates on indesign.

I have contacted Adobe support and apple support and neither is claiming…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. svg mask

InDesign does not keep masks that are embedded in the SVG. It ungroups them, causing hidden parts of the SVG to display.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. InDesign does not honor whitespace on CC library vector graphics

Example: I have a vector logo placed on a specifically sized artboard within Illustrator that has designated safety space around. the artwork, however InDesign adjusts the frame to fit the content within that dartboard instead of the artboard itself.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 270 degrees rotation changes image shapes

When placing an image from Illustrator (like an .ai or .eps) and rotating it 270 degrees will turn round corners into sharp corners. this only happens with 270 degrees rotation not with 269 or 271. Not even with 270,1 or 269,9. This was on InDesign CC 2020 version 15.0.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Color Settings Not Sticking

Upon updating to InDesign 2019 (14.0) my color settings are no longer retained.

As soon as I quit the app and restart the color settings go back to "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

I have reinstalled the app.
    I have wiped all settings.
    I have cleared the Adobe Color Cache folder.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

14. Textwrap 2020

Textwrap from old saved document takes spacing from paragraph indent...Thus you can see the very wide right margin for image.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. thumbnails of links not available in Indesign 2020

when i'm placing images (psd files) in indesign, there are no thumbnails of the links.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Textumfluss bei Version 5.0

funktioniert nicht richtig. Man muss immer auf Rahmeneinpassung klicken, damit die Änderungen gemacht werden = sehr mühsam

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Content Collector Linked Images Not Updating

InDesign Version: 14.0.3
    Folder: Our folders are saved on Dropbox using desktop app
    Who has the problem: My whole team at work.

My team runs static banner ads in automotive. The auto brands have event logos each month. We have several vehicles in running. Each file contains one vehicle and five different ad sizes. To update the logos faster we have them linked to a single InDesign file. That way we only have to relink the logo images in the one file. On original setup the links naturally are direct links, but since we archive each month…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Embedding links won’t work, if you do not inbed each links manually

If you choose multiple pictures in your links-panel and click “embedding all instances”, it does show the “embedded in document”-icon, but this is a false information. It only works, if you embed every image individually after selecting one by one image.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Indesign CC 2019 14.0.1 xmp-information for images cannot be copied

1: Indesign 14.0.1
    2: open any link details for any placed image/XMP-information
    3: I want to copy text from this window to clipboard (like credit-information). This was possible in Indesign 2015.
    4: it is not possible to copy text.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

20. Cannot use restrain option or opt/command/shift to make duplicates?

Something I have been frustrated with since CS 2019 was introduced is starting to really annoy me now. I have not been able to find how to fix the problems but basically ....
    If I draw a rule using the Line tool using 'shift' to restrain the rule to horizontal or vertical does not work, it just floats about at any angle you can think of - I just want to draw a perfect horizontal rule without having to go and edit the position markers!
    Then there's the restrain option to enlarge or reduce shapes/images etc - it no longer…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base