Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign makes incorrect QR code words and we can't decode QR codes correctly.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Object->Make QR Code...
    2. Input strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    3. Result QR Code is incorrect.

Actual Result:
    Sometimes, we got the wrong code in Japanese locale.

Any Workarounds:
    Here is Japanese character strings "問題は日本語を正常に扱えるかどうか。".
    This was coded into the InDesign try and get "image1.png".
    Then, we try to decode it at ZXING decoder. Here is a decoded result (image2.png)

42 1e 59 58 fe 9a 18 ce 38 1a fe 69 7a 5e 69 ca
    ce 8a a9 ee 38 29 2e 6a da 3e 5b 8b 8e 38 1a be
    68 9b 1 8 0a ce 09…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Color Settings Not Sticking

Upon updating to InDesign 2019 (14.0) my color settings are no longer retained.

As soon as I quit the app and restart the color settings go back to "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

I have reinstalled the app.
    I have wiped all settings.
    I have cleared the Adobe Color Cache folder.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

3. Indesign CC 2019 14.0.1 xmp-information for images cannot be copied

1: Indesign 14.0.1
    2: open any link details for any placed image/XMP-information
    3: I want to copy text from this window to clipboard (like credit-information). This was possible in Indesign 2015.
    4: it is not possible to copy text.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Cannot "place" MathType eps file correctly into InDesign - InvalidFont error

InDesign CC 13.1

Steps to Reproduce

1.In a ID document, use File > Place
    2.Select the attached eps file, which is an eps file created by MathType
    3.Place the eps file

Expected Result: The eps to place the image correctly

Actual Result: Before the eps is placed, the error is seen: "InvalidFont error occurred creating the screen display for the imported EPS. The EPS will draw as a gray box. The actual EPS may not print and will not export as PDF. Do you still want to place this file? Yes/No?

Clicking Yes results in only a gray box.

*Cannot…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking and "Auto-fit" options do not seem to work.

I am using Indesign 14.0

When I relink files, Indesign changes the scale and placement of images automatically, regardless of whether the preserve image dimensions option in the file handling box is checked or unchecked, and whether the "auto-fit" button in the tool menu is checked or uncheked.

Preferences > File Handling > "Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking"

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Multi-state objects and animated elements not working on State 1

InDesign CC 2019 14.0:

I have a 4 state multi-state object. Each state has a full-screen image with a text title and description which animates in (Fly-in from top) for each state upon load. Left/Right buttons control the interactivity.

However, when I add an animation to the text title/description in State-1 it causes the full-screen image to not load and the test/description text doesn't appear either. (Tested in Indesign in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and on iPad/iBooks)

When testing it in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and I go to State-2 using the buttons and then return to State-1…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. error encountered reading image

1. InDesign CC 2019 (14.0)
    2. Import large clipped .psd file (~880 mb) into mechanical
    3. Image placed as requested
    4. Error message received suggesting image is corrupt (note: export of InDesign file as idml and opened in 2018 to import image achieves desired result, suggesting image is not corrupt)

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Proportional Scaling Using Shift Button Not Working

In the 2017.1 release of InDesign, the ability to hold Shift and scale objects proportionally seems to have disappeared. I know for me this is a major functionality problem that is increasing the time I have to spend on current projects. I've checked support forums and others are encountering this problem, but I haven't yet seen a solution.

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

229 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while; we really appreciate your support!

Our investigation suggests that one of common reasons for the problem is that certain software (mostly antivirus and other security applications) and browser extensions happen to enable “Secure Keyboard Entry” on Mac machines due to which some keys such as Shift key in this case do not perform the desired action in InDesign.

For now I request you to follow the below provided KB doc for the quick workaround of the problem.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/features-do-not-work-keyboard-keys-mac.html

In the comments section many of the users have confirmed that disabling Webroot SecureAnywhere (a security app) has resolved the issue for them. Please note that, the problem may not be related to a particular software; there could be a different application or antivirus which might be causing the problem by enabling Secure Keyboard Entry on Mac.

Regards,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

9. Shape sizing bug that has been around since at least CS6 is STILL not fixed in CC2019!!

1) Version of Adobe InDesign...

This bug has plagued InDesign from at least CS 6.2 all the way to the current CC2019 version. I filed a bug report in 2017, and @Abhinav Kaushik claimed the bug was solved, but this was straight-up NOT TRUE. The bug persists to the present software.

2) Follow these steps to replicate the bug:

Create a shape, let's say a circle, and then copy this circle and paste it in a separate layer directly over the top of the first. To better see the effects of the bug, make the fill of the top circle…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. text skalierung

In InDesign ist es zum Teil nicht mehr möglich, Textfelder so zu skalieren, dass sich Zeilenumbrüche etc. verändern. Das ist ein übler Fehler!!!

Und wieso gibt es das Programm auf Deutsch, aber diese Webseite nicht???

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. ID 2019 importing pictures appear pixelated

Just installed ID 2019 5/10/19. Importing hi-res photos, come in pixelated. PDFs are fine. Trashed ID prefs. No help. I noticed that it often says "Reading (photo)" at the bottom bar info, but my doc did not show that. However, if I DELETE one of the photos, then UNDO it (command-z), it forces ID to redraw it, along with the other photos. They appear sharp and hi-res. However, saving it does no good, as it appears pixelated whenever I open the doc (I tried several docs). So, the work-around is to do the delete-undo while I'm working on the file,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Place a video from a URL with https

The window for "Place a video from a URL" will not accept a safe HTTPS link (only http). Thus when I publish it, the browser throws a warning asking if I trust the content. Extremely silly bug in this age of security issues.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. can't place image on rotated page

When placing an image on to a rotated page the image is placed outside the work area! Does not mater if I choose place from the File meny or drag and drop from the desktop. No mater where I place it on my page it gets sent way out with no chance of selecting it. InDesign CC 2019 (14.0)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

14. Cannot place EPS image in empty box

InDesign 14.0.1.209
    Mac OSX 10.14.3

Placing an EPS file generated from "Barcode" (by AppsForLife) does not work properly if the target box is empty. If box already contains a graphic, the file will place properly via "Place" or drag+drop.

On a new image box or box where the existing image has been deleted, the following occurs (via Place or drag+drop):

Image will seem to appear in the target box. Once mouse button is released, the imported image is no longer in the box and the pointer changes to a "placement selector" prompting to place the image in a new box.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. CC Library after last update now puts white box around all graphics

After the latest update, when I use my library to place a logo on a page in InDesign, it now almost looks like a white background PNG instead of the logo without any background. Running into printing issues with white boxes around all of our CC Library Graphics.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. illustrator art resizes with new Content aware fit feature

With the new Content Aware Fit feature Illustrator art from documents in a previous version of Indesign come in resized in the box. Therefore all legacy indd documents have Illustrator art that resized.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. HSV

Add HSV to Indesign!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Library objects jump when being dragged onto the page

In InDesign CC 14.0.1 objects dragged from a library jump from the designated location to the pasteboard at the top of the spread. They can be repositioned easily enough by dragging but it takes extra time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Multi-state objects and animated elements not working on State 1

InDesign CC 2019 14.0:

I have a 4 state multi-state object. Each state has a full-screen image with a text title and description which animates in (Fly-in from top) for each state upon load. Left/Right buttons control the interactivity.

However, when I add an animation to the text title/description in State-1 it causes the full-screen image to not load and the test/description text doesn't appear either. (Tested in Indesign in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and on iPad/iBooks)

When testing it in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and I go to State-2 using the buttons and then return to State-1…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. disappearing images

Images randomly disappear when I try and nudge them with the cursor keys. Very frustrating

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base