Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. missing dialog box

When i clicked on the effect (example; gradient feather) for my image, there is no dialog box popping out. I'm unable to click on other tools and I've to use the escape key to close the 'invisible' dialog box before I can use the other tools. Hence, I'm unable to apply any effect on my image.

I'm using the Indesign CC (13.0.1) on Windows.

It feels like it's a programme bug. I've tried to reinstall the programme but it still persists.

Please assist.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Edit with other - doesn't see Photoshop as an application

I use the Indesign feature on the links menu to Edit With, either using the default application or another. We just updated to the latest CC (ps, il, in) and the other application isn't the same. For any jpg or pdf, it shows Photoshop or illustrator or Acrobat as available to open the image selected. However, if I select an ai. file, it shows Illustrator as the default, and Preview as another option - no Photoshop. I select Other to add Photoshop, go to the applications folders, click on Photoshop and it's only seeing it as a folder, not as…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 'Move Pages' causes the position of content to shift to the right on right-side pages, master same for both files

'Move Pages' causes the position of content to shift to the right on right-side pages, even though the master pages are the same for both files.

I am trying to take several page sets and combine them in one file, but I have to manually fix them after moving the pages over. Very concerning as I'm not sure if anything else is breaking or getting lost in the move.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. BUG Make "Fit Frame to Content" finally work with rotated/skewd content

1. Version: CS4 and above
    2. Steps: Just rotate/skew a picture within its box and use "FitFrameToContent" and watch the content gets cropped!
    3. Expected Result: The picture frame gets fit…
    4. Actual result: The content gets cropped.
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue.
    We have been able to reproduce it and will consider it for fixing.

-Aman

6. 72 DPI images not placing at 100%, scaling to 216 DPI

This has apparently been a discussion since at least 2019 and has not yet found a solution:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/jpg-not-placing-at-proper-dimensions/m-p/12933878/page/3#M476611

When placing certain jpg images saved to 72 DPI, In Design frequently places them at 1/3 actual size, or down to 216 DPI. This is including if the ID document's increments/document size are set to pixels. It seems most common with jpgs saved in a standard "Save As" format from Photoshop vs. the legacy "Save for Web."

1. Versions 14.02 to 17.1 - Edit - issue continues after update to 17.2.1.
    2. Steps to reproduce: place a jpg image saved to 72 dpi resolution
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. importing multiple illustrator artboards into empty frames no longer works

With the 2021 version of indesign I could 'load' my cursor with an illustrator file and select 'all' artboards, then i could 'drop' each artboard into an empty indesign frame - this no longer works in the 2022 version (17.2). Instead it just drops the first image in and the loaded cursor 'cancels'.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Placed PDFs and Images Not Rendering

I'm on InDesign 2022 (17.2) and have started recently having issues with placed images and PDFs after an update. I have a 2021 silicon Mac Mini for Travel and an Intel 2019 iMac for home use. Both on Monterey 12.3.1

The rendering issue began after certain documents originally worked on in the silicon version had issues when opening in the Intel version.

This happened with both images (TIFs, JPGs) and PDF files. After placing the files in InDesign (in the mac mini) they rendered fine. Upon opening the files though in InDesign on my iMac. The renderings did not appear.…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Fixing images and text wrap

Since a longer time there is a bug, that makes it impossible to let the text flow around beside an image, while this image is fixed with a anchor mark. The line, where the anchor mark is set doesn’t flow around. That makes an unhappy compronise necessary: Either you don’t set the anchor mark and the image doesn’t flow with the text or you set an manual word wrap.

This should be fixed because in other programs it also works.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 2022 InDesign bugs

when using ID 2021 and before, When I sized a graphic, say, from 100 to 50%, the info box would say the graphic is now 50%. In ID 2022, when I reduce a graphic, the box says it is 100%. I am not liking this.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when the issue occurred?
    • Video recording of the issue
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Linked EPS appears with jagged/rough edges even on High Quality Display

I've never seen this before, but linked vector EPS files aren't previewing properly in InDesign. The edges are super jagged when they should be smooth lines.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Layer visibility toggle should indicate mixed visibility status of sub layers

InDesign V 16.4, Current Creative Cloud as of 2021-11-14.
    Currently - The top Layer visibility icon (within the layers palette) does not indicate a mixed visibility status of sub layers.
    I have a rather complex layer set in a document I'm working on where I have master pages with master pages based on other master pages and linked objects within the document.
    I just spent over an hour trying to locate a hidden object. I incorrectly assumed that, when looking at the layers palette, with all the layer stacks closed (layer list contracted where only the top level was shown)…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. [INDD 2020 and 2021] Document fonts folder does not work with fonts for placed SVGs

Provide a font file with the Document fonts folder for a placed SVG graphic where the font is not embedded.
    RESULT: InDesign will not use the font for rendering text with the placed SVG graphic.

ALSO: Even if the font is installed for ALL USERS in the system on Windows 10 InDesign will not package the font that is needed with the placed SVG graphic.

One cannot be sure what fonts are needed with placed SVG graphics. When InDesign documents are saved, closed and re-opened, Preflight and Type > Find Fonts… will not show them.

The only check you can…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. InDesign 16.3.2 Poor Graphics Performance - MacOS BigSur

When background assets have transparency applied, dragging and positioning foreground assets causes a corrupted display.

MacOS BigSur 11.5 Late 2015 iMac Retina 5K Core i7 32GB AMD Radeon R9 M390

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. webp

add native support for .webp images

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Weird Bug with Resize to Frame

Resize frame to content messes up and I'm not sure if it's something to do with a setting I have set since this doesn't always happen.

Basically, I'll have a frame around some content with text in it.

When I hit "resize frame to content" ctrl-alt-c, it resizes the frame to the full document width, which looks like the example.

I obviously expect the frame to resize to the content, not to be super wide like the entire document.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. New Bug Indesign 16.2.1 | Contours conversion error (inside/outside aligned)

This bug seems to only affect older InDesign documents and graphic elements from them that were created before the update to 16.2.1. The bug can NOT be reproduced in completely new 16.2.1 documents with newly created elements!

What happens:
    For example, if you create a circle with the dimensions 200X200mm and a 10mm thick outline, this results in a circle with the dimensions
    210X210mm

But if you now change the contour orientation from center to inside, the dimensions change unproportionally in height:

Instead of 200 x 200 mm the circle becomes quasi
    an "egg" 200 x 199.999 mm

If you…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Handling error sizing with frame with contour (centered/outside).New bug!? Frames with contour: Are now shifted into each other after simult

Scaling with undesirable erroneous result:
    Affects frames whose outline is either:
    A. centered or
    B. aligned to the outside of the frame
    (Frames where the contour is aligned on the inside of the frame are not affected by this error. There the scaling still works correctly as desired).

Recently, such frames (with a contour A/B) shift into each other undesirably after simultaneous resizing (see screenshot) and lose their original arrangement to each other!

I don't know with which version this new bug appeared,
    but it is annoying and makes work slower again.

With Illustrator the error does not occur. There…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Images scaled 6%

Version 16.1 x 64

After update, images that are relink are automatically scaled an additional 6% within their frames.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base