Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• or

219 results found

1. Alt-text inside Links Panel

Can we have a column added to the Links Panel that lists the alt-text of the image so I can open/edit it from the links panel rather than finding it inside my document?

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Conditional rows and columns in tables.

I really miss the possibility to hide/show table rows and columns based on a condition. It would work exactly like conditional text that is already available in InDesign. You would select a table row or column and apply a condition.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Adjust Layout - Columns change no longer works.

In older versions of InDesign, if you had Adjust Layout on, and changed the columns, the content of the page would adjust. Now if you change the column amount, Adjust Layout turns off. Please bring back the old feature, the new way and work around is terrible and also defeats the function of Master Pages.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Ability to create interactive PDF forms in InDesign

Ability to create interactive PDF forms in InDesign with all fields available as Acrobat Pro and be able to live test the form and make changes within InDesign rather than having to export the PDF each time to test the form.

I make forms for clients and it gets very annoying when I set up hundreds of fields in InDesign and finalise a form and a client sees a typo so I have to go back in InDesign and make the fix and then re-export the file and add other fields again to it.

Would also like a feature with…

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Smart hyphenation

A great feature would be if InDesign could add hyphenation rules automatically when when using discretionary hyphens. A pop-up window that asks if you want this word to hyphenate on every instance of the word where you insert the hyphen the first time. I find it a bit too tedious to make new H-rules for every word. This is very relevant for non-english languages where the the pre-defined H-rules isn't very good. There is probably better ways to to this, but I think its time InDesign's hyphenation feature get a little bit smarter.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Refine "No Break" by providing suboptions

While hyphenation preferences can be refined at the Paragraph (style) level, Character (style) options only provide a boolean “No Break” attribute which prevents line breaks whatever the location of the text in the layout.

Note, for example, that “Hyphenate Across Column” is available as a paragraph option while the user may actually want to turn on/off column breaks from within a character style. The “No Break” attribute is then too harsh, since it fully disallows line breaking.

Suppose a ITEMS character style is associated to proper names or book titles. We may want to allow regular line breaking for…

62 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Center Fold Lines in Column Gutters

It would be nice in InDesign and across all other layout and design programs to be allowed the option (button) to display an nonprinting center fold line when setting gutter spacing on a layout with two or more columns.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Horizontal column/row guides when creating a new document

Ability to create rows as well as columns as guides when creating a new document so that we can easily grid a page. Often I have to put items 4-up or 8-up and so forth and having the vertical columns is helpful but it would be even better to be able to have horizontal rows at the same time instead of having to measure them and drag guides down.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. footnotes saving space

Can we make the footnotes text in 2 to 4 column, or run-in footnotes, because some books has too many footnotes, if a 3 or 4 word note occupies a line so we loose space. This will save space in long text books.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Custom Columns

When setting up margins and layout it would be great if the user could customize the width of individual columns. For instance I start a new document that's 8.5 x 11 with 2 columns and a gutter that's .25. At some point, either the initial document creation or after, it would be amazing to change the width of one of the columns and in so doing it adjust the width of the other column while keeping the gutter the same. This would help for much more dynamic, asymmetrical and feel visually more organized than simply bringing in…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Paragraph Border Controls when Split across Columns or Frames

There needs to be a control that "If paragraph breaks between columns or frames" restricts the paragraph border to: "baseline" , "cap-height" and perhaps a value offset for this. At the very least there needs to be the "clip to frame" option for paragraph border like there is for paragraph shading. However, the controls for baseline and cap-height would be ideal.

113 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. GPU acceleration in Windows PC

Hi! Why does GPU acceleration in InDesign only work on MAC? I have an extremely powerful Windows PC with next-generation Nvidia Quadro video card, and you just forgot about Windows PC users. Can't do like Ilustrator? Can't use GPU processing intelligence in InDesign? I work with huge two- and one-column footnote files with lots of AI and PSD images. But the lack of GPU acceleration is frustrating. Thank you!

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Multiple find an replace

How if you make 10 or 15 replacements at once? With replacing options each, or global replacing options, as a suggestion, the dialog is two columns, the left column contains the find text boxes, and the right column contains the replace text boxes. This will be GREAT and SAVES much time. Thanks Adobe Brains!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Improve tables for tagged pdf and accessibility

Tables needs some improvement for better and accessible PDF output.

1. There are no options for vertical table headings. I’m not talking about complex tables just simple tables with a custom amount of heading columns from the left or the right. InDesign should tag those cells as <TH> as it does for horizontal table headings or footers.
    2. Those simple tables and its table headers should get a scope attribute which says if the heading is used for a column or a row. The use of the either the scope attribute or id’s is a PDF/UA requirement.
    41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Search and replace table rows/columns

I would like to be able to search, replace/remove/add (below or under, L/R) a specifik row or column within a table.

I often work with large transaction portfolios with plenty of tables in them. It's not uncommon that clients asks to change/remove a row or column in a table with a specific header/headline/label. I just removed one row on 58 spreads which could have been solved through a search and replace (or, well, remove then). Could also be able to add a row/column through a similar solution (i.e. insert a row below the row with Lorem ipsum-headline). Cheers.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow Optical Margin Alignment to apply only to punctuation.

Optical Margin Alignment does a great job allowing quotation marks and hyphens to hang into the column gutters, but it also make characters like A, W, and T do the same, which is often too high a price to pay. Fix this by allowing an option it to only apply it to punctuation.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Multiple styles per element with cascade like CSS

So many documents get output into electronic formats now. The limitation of only one style per element (paragraph, character, object) makes it difficult to map what is happening in InDesign to good HTML and CSS.

If InDesign allowed multiple styles to be applied to an element, with cascade rules like CSS, then electronic output would be easier and the quality of generated markup could be improved. In addition, being able to apply simple style changes to override more comprehensive styles would simplify documents and reduce the number of styles needed to make little variations of design possible..

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Paragraph Borders: Inset vs Offset or "Keep Within Frame"

LOVE that borders and shading are now built into paragraph styles; but, I would like to be able to create a paragraph border with an inset (instead of an offset), or something like the "keep in frame" option for paragraph rules. The result is a paragraph outline in line with the other paragraphs above and below it, but with an inset paragraph inside the border.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow bullets and numbers to hang outside of the text frame

There is currently no way to make a bullet or number hang outside of a text frame properly. The "optical margin alignment" feature control is iffy at best.

Attached are two photos that show what I mean.

In the first example, the "Correct" green bullets are not achievable in InDesign unless every other paragraph except for the bulleted paragraph has an additional positive left indent on all of its lines. It would be so much easier if we could just add a negative left indent to the first line of the bulleted paragraphs.

In the second example, a document that…

108 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Manually adjust width of columns in text frame

When there are multiple columns in a text frame, the width of each column is automatically divided evenly between the number of columns and the width of the frame. It would be nice to be able to manually change the width of those columns so they are not automatically all the exact same width, or height for that matter. I'm thinking much like how columns in a table can be adjusted, and then when the whole table is changed you can elect to have the manually adjusted columns shift accordingly or not. It would be…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base