Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• or

219 results found

1. Make Table preview faster

Complex tables are REALLY low to preview in InDesign. I have a table 45 rows by 7 columns, and if I nudge it, it takes 5 seconds to preview. Then I nudge again... another 5 seconds. This SLOW table preview has been happening on all kinds of documents, for years. Please speed it up.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Paragraph rule will not appear on top of anchored objects

Currently an applied paragraph rule will not appear on top of an anchored object in a text box. According to one of the Adobe experts this is a default of the program.

Our catalogue has a country heading line of type followed by an outline of the country. The graphic of the country is embedded. Visually it appears underneath the subsequent text two or three lines of type.

The paragraph rule at the end of these two or three lines of type unfortunately appears underneath the image even though the text appears on top of the image. I would like…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Help page gives incorrect information regarding PageMaker file conversion

Searched InDesign support for "pagemaker file conversion"
    The top article (dated March 2017) is titled "Convert QuarkXPress and PageMaker documents to InDesign". Here's the address of this page: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/converting-quarkxpress-pagemaker-documents.html This article is part of the "InDesign CC User Guide." In the right hand column, it says it applies to InDesign CC. The first sentence in the Pagemaker section is "InDesign can convert document and template files from Adobe PageMaker 6.0 and later." It proceeds to give directions. I have come to find out that these instructions cannot be followed in InDesign CC, but only in InDesign CS6. This resulted…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Highlight text

While I know this can be achieved by creating a thick rule and offsetting it just right, the ability to highlight text with 1 click (like the underline button) would be a time saver.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Use Image in Paragraph Style

It would be nice and super useful to have the ability to use images instead of solid colors in paragraph styles. for example:
    image as text character color (like clipping), image as paragraph shading background, border image, rule image, image as the bullet, etc.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Footnotes and problems

With footnotes all more or less normal, when they are applied in the simplest form. Problems begin when they need to be applied in a multi-column layout using "span all" headers. Footnotes begin to be ungrouped - before the headings, at the bottom of the pages, and the most incomprehensible - if the footnote is contained in the title, it will open not at the bottom of the page, but directly under the heading!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Viacheslav, this issue is now resolved with the latest version of InDesign. You may want to download InDesign CC 2017 or above. This issue should be resolved in it.

Please post here if it doesn’t work. Thanks

7. Specify subheader in addition to header, body (with alternating fills) and footer

I would like the ability to have a sub-header style applied to a table style. I design tables with a title (or header), an area for the column topics (or sub-header), and then a body with alternating fills, and a footer without a fill. It would be great to be able to apply one table style that will incorporate all of those styles. See the included table as an example of what I am trying to do.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Ability to adjust opacity of guides - rows and columns

Users should be able to adjust the opacity of guides, enabling greater emphasis to be given to chosen elements. For example a rectangle frame tool can stand out more than the rows and columns used, otherwise it is very messy and impossible to sometimes use both at the same time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. a better way to make texts on circle or other form path (spline) for pictogrammes

when you have to do it but make a way to have it the most editable way because you have to make it to a lot of different languages. Maybe be a more efficient way with rules on path to automatically inverse it and center it on the center of the path and maybe an option to what part of the text is on one side and what part is on another actually if i do it correctly you often need two path one for top one for bottom part of circular text and when you whant to change one…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Correction in Dictionary Criteria for Hyphens (Portuguese)

Most of hyphenation in Portuguese splits sylables from two consonants in a row (r-r, s-s Ex: 'car-ro', 'profis-são'), but this is not true for nasal sounds formed with the letter H (lh, nh) and I see myself having to review this hyphenation constantly. For example, the correct hyphenation is 'traba-lho', but inDesign usually hyphenates 'trabal-ho' (which is incorrect). It is a simple addition to the program that could save a lot of reviewing time.
    There are some other issues too.
    Could you please check that out and review the hyphenation rules as of grammar? Portuguese has quite a bit of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Retain previous window dimensions & position & display

My ID (CS6) workspace has palettes down both sides of the screen. If I open a file that I'd been working on then closed, the file window stretches across the screen and goes behind the palettes, tho' when I closed the file previously, the window fit exactly between the two columns of palettes. Assuming a fixed workspace, I'd like the window to be exactly where it was when I last closed the file. It is a 3-step process to restore position & dimensions manually, more if there's a palette covering the bottom right corner of the window. Maybe this…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Create a toggle switch between alternating fills

It would be a simple addition to create a toggle switch to swap alternating fills for columns and tables. This would save me a fair bit of time when editing many tables, please refer to the attached screengrab!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. merging cells in a table

I am trying to create a 9x12 horizontal postcard with 4 vertical columns and 5 horizontal rows. Then I merge cells to create different size ad boxes. By the time I get to the last merge, it pulls everything up and looks like it is adding another row at the bottom. For example: merge the whole bottom row into one ad box; merge the right column 4 boxes into one ad box; merge the left 3 boxes beginning from the top into one ad box; merge the center 6 boxes into one large ad box. So, there should be…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Better use linked excel files

There should be a way to link to an excel doc, remove unnecessary columns or rows, change the formatting and/or ad paragraph/character styles, so that if the excel doc is updated (with new pricing or different demographics or something) just the information that remains is updated. As of now, if the excel doc is updated, all the work in InDesign (aside from table style) is completely removed and you're forced to either start from scratch, or continue with out of date information.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Export JPG with specific name and as a background task

Now that many users are using INDD to prepare web graphics INDD needs a feature to be able to name the page so when the pages are exported as JPGs or PNGs they are named properly.

I found a script to do this but it would be great to build this into the application. All that would be needed is a variable where we could add the name and INDD would look at that text frame to name the exported files.

This is important to do it this way so this can be a feature of data merge as well.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. I request crop overlays option in InDesign Picture Boxes for positioning placed images with more design precision. As is done with Lightroom

I request crop overlays option in InDesign Picture Boxes for positioning placed images with more design precision. As is done with Lightroom and Photoshop crop overlays, e.g., Golden Ration, rule of thirds, Golden Spiral, etc.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Template Automation from CSV File

Dear InDesign Support Team,

I hope this message finds you well.

I am writing to inquire about a feature that I believe would greatly enhance the efficiency of template usage within InDesign.

Currently, I often work with templates that contain a simple layout consisting of a picture (a person's image) and text (the person's name) underneath it.
    These templates serve as the basis for creating multiple pages, each with unique content.

What I would like to request is the capability to automate the population of these templates using data from a CSV (Comma-Separated Values) file.
    Specifically, I envision a feature…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  InDesign Server  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. New Document dialog: trim safety margins

Print ads have trim, bleed, and safety margins on the inside of the page. Add the ability to define the safety margin in the New Document dialog. It would be better than using Margins and Columns.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Instead of allowing objects to leave the pasteboard, just move them to the edge of the pasteboard

I often place and then resize images in InDesign. Very often when I go to resize an image, I get the error "This would cause one or more objects to leave the pasteboard" and I can't actually resize all the way down to a manageable size—I have to move the entire image somewhere random and try to resize, or just resize in increments, move the image, and resize again.

I understand that I don't want objects to leave the pasteboard. But if an object is about to leave the pasteboard, why can't it just move to the edge of the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base