Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6469 results found

1. Indesign performance issue : Slow work of Indesign when editing text with large footnotes

I'd like to report a bug. Please follow the scenario below:

1. In a single column with lots of text in it, make two columns for a fragment of text

2. In text within the two-column setup, make a footnote. Add several lines of text to the footnote

3. Turn on the "Span Footnotes Across Columns" feature so that footnote ends up in the same group with the footnotes at the bottom of the page rather than below the two-column fragment

4. Expected behaviour: normal editing can be performed after these manipulations

5. Observed behaviour: any text editing after turning on the "Span Footnotes Across…

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Publish Online Dashboard Fails to Show Analytics

The analytics information will not load for individual documents or in the overview tab for documents published online from InDesign. I have found this to be a problem on macOS Mojave and Windows 10 using multiple web browsers including Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.

When attempting to use view analytics or delete the online document, nothing occurs on the Document Trends page.

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Filetype is the same as CC 2018

InDesign CC 2019 (14.0.0.130) for Mac
    Filetype is the same as CC 2018. Each version has been given a unique Filetype. The only exception is v6.0.0–6.0.3 (CS4), but it was fixed as a bug in 6.0.4. I also expect it to be fixed as a bug of 14.0.0 as well.

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

This has been done to preclude any new entries for CFBundleTypeOSTypes. The previous release, CC2018 had CFBundleTypeOSType as IDdD but for the new release, we have not created the new OSType entry as IDdE rather kept the previos entry intact.

Apple had deprecated any entries of the form of CFBundleType from 10.5 and now recommends using a UTType(Uniform Type Identifier) entry instead of creating CFBundleType entries. We might choose creating UTTypes in the future. However, for now we have stopped creating separate CFBundleTypes for the new releases.
    It would helpful to know from you as to how you use these entries in your workflows so that we can suggest you an alternative.

You may reach out to abkaushi@adobe.com.

4. Unable to package a file to a server after upgrading to Mojave.

Dear Adobe,
    Yesterday we upgraded to 10.14 Mojave and I am not able to package files from windows server. Indesign freezes every time.
    I can make packeges from my MAC or from external hard drives. The network is working correctly. On High Sierrea everything worked properly.

Indesign CC 2018: 13.0
    Mac: 10.14

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have concluded our investigation into the issue and found that the issue is specific to few versions of MacOS 10.14.×.
    As a part of our investigation we had reached out to many of you, where many of you have confirmed that the issue gets resolved after upgrading to MacOS 10.14.5.

Note:
    If you are NOT using MacOS 10.14.5 and still facing this issue, please upgrade your MacOs to 10.14.5 version.
    In case you continue to face the same issue after the upgrade, you may reach out to us at sharewithid@adobe.com.

For any other problem related to packaging workflows please create a new thread.

We are closing this thread for now.

Thank you for your patience all this while.

-InDesign Team

5. When using “Paragraph Borders and Shading” on a frame grid, it is incorrect to base them on the grid attributes possessed by the frame grid

InDesign Version CC2018 or newer

1. “Paragraph Borders and Shading” are usually generated based on the outline of the glyphs in the paragraph to which they are applied.
      This is true even if they are grid-aligned on a text frame (Figure 1-a, right).
      However, when the same settings are made on a frame grid, for some reason, they are generated based on the grid attributes of the frame grid, not the glyph outlines.
      This always occurs based on the grid attribute of the frame grid, regardless of whether the text in the frame grid is grid-aligned or not (Figure 1-a left).…

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. PDF comments: Delete <FEFF> marker after removal of all comments

After choosing »Delete all comments« from the fly-out menu of the PDF comments panel at every position, where a comment was before the removal, a <FEFF> char is left behind, which shows up as a zero-width colon (:), when special characters are turned on.

Since this is a useless char after deleting the comments, the <FEFF> should also be removed, when selecting the removal in the fly-out.

<FEFF> shows up with XML tags, notes and index markers, so we can’t simply do a TEXT search for <FEFF> to remove it.
    BTW:
    \x{feff} doesn’t work in GREP search, which is kind…

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting. We will review the issue shortly.

-InDesign Team

7. Export to PDF function crash in InDesign 15.1

Today I have updated to InDesign 15.1 and when I try to export to PDF the application immediately crash.

This happen even I change the type of export (small dimension, print, etc.).

I'm using windows 10 pro ver. 1909 build 18363.836, and Indesign 15.1 x64.

The system start to work but the application crash at 16% of the export.

The problem seems connected with something on the file, because I try to export another project and it work perfectly.

The file was all "green" in the preliminary checks panel.

And I notice that the system crash also using other function,…

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Placed graphic displays and exports outside stroke.

A placed graphic will show onscreen and in graphic exports like PNG and JPG outside the stroke when the stroke is aligned to the inside of the frame. InDesign 2020 and earlier. To reproduce: place a graphic, add a stroke to the frame, align stroke to inside, export the page to jpg or png. A thin portion of the image is visible outside the stroke. Obviously, this is most noticeable when the stroke is thick and white.

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Khmer script justification is broken

With the CC version, having World-Ready Composer enabled, Khmer script justification is still broken. I tried to use the text with and without ZWSP, and it's all the same. There was a thread talking about it https://forums.adobe.com/message/5030301 but seems no any new update.

The justification is also broken in Photoshop CC.

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

10. Imported PDF comments not accurate

1. ID 14 Mac
    2. Import PDF comments from file, including strikethroughs, replaced text, comments
    3. Some edits NOT SHOWN in ID file, though clearly present when PDF is viewed in Acrobat
    4. Faithful transfer of all edits to ID file (note non-transferred strikethrough of Highlights of Baltics in bottom quarter of screendump)
    35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

11. [Break in CC 2018] Text frame properties lost when copying and pasting frames across document

I have a document that uses top justification in a text frame, and bottom justification in another text frame. When I copy these frames, with or without any other objects, into a new document (think business card imposition), the bottom justification changes to top justification, altering the layout of the document.

I have reset my preferences, and tried the fixes described here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2402361 and here https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2401857

With no success.

Attached is a 1UP file (Original with mixed justification) and a 24UP file (with resulting error)

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

13. Screen flickering - Screen turns black when moving objects.

When i drag and drop a Textframe my Screen flickers black for a second - almost every damn time. This happens for me and most of my colleagues and it is horrible to work with.

I feel like it got worse after installing the latest "Tablehead" fix that fixed the disapearing tableheads.

Build 12.1.0.56
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
    iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5", 2015)
    3,3 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

2nd Monior is a DELL U2414H, 23,5" at 1800p

This is happening on quite a lot of machines in…

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The issue reported is at Apple’s end.
    Hence, Apple is recommending to update macOS to 10.15.x version in order to resolve this issue.

Please update your macOS to Catalina. If you still face this issue in macOS 10.15 do add your comment in this thread.

Adobe InDesign team

14. CC 2020 + Catalina makes computer really slow

On a brand new iMac (Catalina), opening CC 2020 apps makes everything lag. When Adobe apps are not open, computer performance is fine. According to the Adobe Support Community, this issue seems pretty widespread and Adobe's suggested fixes do not help.

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 18.4 and 18.5 exported PDF corrupted

Hi guys,

Our books are printed in house with Xerox Nuvera 288 Presses. We recently faced this issue, and tho it should be addressed in 18.5 updated, we're still facing the same problem in 18.4 with 18.5 (Images attached below) where the whole book is printed out, but have left a single page blank.

In this example, this page 85 went blank every time we ran it through the press when exported with 18.4 and 18.5, but got no problem with 18.3. This error also happened to 9 out of 10 book titles (exported with 18.4 and 18.5) that we…

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. InDesign publish online broken links and missing objects

Have major problem with publish online, missing objects and links with question marks showing. This comes after 8 months working on this document with no issues at all. Really need this sorting by Adobe as I have to deliver project at end of this month latest.
    Here's how it appears
    https://indd.adobe.com/view/b91790d7-6683-449b-b86c-0b72ed80a746
    If you look at attached image, that's how it appears within InDesign

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign performance issue: Hand tool freezes

10.12.6 Sierra
    Hand tool freezes and no other tool can be selected. It won't unfreeze unless I shut down entire computer. This is a recurring issue.

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    In order to reproduce the issue we sent information to all the affected users who have either voted or commented on this thread.
    Based on the replies we got we could infer that the issue is occurring when a third party software or application is also running in parallel. Some examples of the software used include Global Auto-correct, Google Chrome,
    Moreover, when the issue occurs it seems to hamper all CC applications such as Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop.
    A possible fix for the solution includes restarting the application or restarting the system.

In the absence of any consistent reproducible steps, we are currently closing this thread as “not reproducible”. In case you again encounter the issue, please create a new thread mentioning the steps with which we can reproduce the issue and additional softwares, if in case any, that you are using.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

18. InDesign 15.1.1 English dictionary missing plural word spellings

Since the update every plural word version is not in the dictionary. Simple, basic words like 'years' and 'days' now show as a spelling error. It was working fine before the latest update. Get it fixed - it's pointless having the spellchecker when so many basic words are missing!

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Slow InDesign

This latest update for late August/September is really really really slow. It lags crazy. It's not efficient to work in. Even with small documents.
    It's the most unpleasant InDesign experience ever!

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Color Settings Not Sticking

Upon updating to InDesign 2019 (14.0) my color settings are no longer retained.

As soon as I quit the app and restart the color settings go back to "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

I have reinstalled the app.
    I have wiped all settings.
    I have cleared the Adobe Color Cache folder.

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base