Adobe InDesign: Bugs
When filing a new bug, please provide:
- Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
- Steps to reproduce the issues
- Expected result
- Actual result
- Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
- or
7736 results found
-
form field tag export
Current version - InDesign CC 2018
Form field tags are not created when exporting an interactive .pdf with tags.
To recreate:
1. Create a form with form fields.
2. Add everything to Articles pane in order from top to bottom per page.
3. Export to interactive .pdf, make sure to elect to create tags and set tabbing order by structure.Expected result - when the file runs through the Accessibility checker in Acrobat Pro - it passes.
Actual result - all form fields are missing tags and does not pass the accessibility checker.
Everything worked great before I updated InDesign on Friday 10.20.18.
Current version - InDesign CC 2018
Form field tags are not created when exporting an interactive .pdf with tags.
To recreate:
1. Create a form with form fields.
2. Add everything to Articles pane in order from top to bottom per page.
3. Export to interactive .pdf, make sure to elect to create tags and set tabbing order by structure.Expected result - when the file runs through the Accessibility checker in Acrobat Pro - it passes.
Actual result - all form fields are missing tags and does not pass the accessibility checker.
Everything worked great before I updated InDesign…
9 votesFix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.
If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.
Thanks,
InDesign Team -
styles don't export to pdf tags
All my paragraph styles are set to automatic for export options. When I export to pdf 99.9% comes over as 'span' in the reading order structure, not what it is supposed to be.
There is the occasional H3 for some reason on some versions exported. Appears totally random. None on attached sample.
9 votes -
CC library tab won't select?
When clicking on the dropdown menu to select a CC library, the tabs do not open unless I hold down the ^ button. When opened, I cannot select a CC library. Have refreshed several times but it still doesn't let me change the library! This is on InDesign for Mac.
9 votesHi
Please provide the following information:
1. Is InDesign installed on the default path?
2. Do you have any special character in the path where InDesign is installed? Like username has special characters.Also, please provide a copy of you preferences, you can zip them and email to anasgupt@adobe.com.
Regards
Anasuiya Gupta -
Glyphs panel scroll doesn't work in CC2017
Fix scroll feature in Glyphs panel; it worked in CC 2015. Broken in CC2017 on both Mac and Windows.
9 votesPlease update InDesign to the latest version, InDesign CC 2018 (13.0) for the fix of the issue.
-
Scrolling too slow
Adobe needs to improve scrolling speed. When using the slider, InDesign can't keep up with it.
9 votesWhich version of InDesign are you currently using and what is the operating system you are on? Does this happen in some specific cases or always for you?
-
Bug Report and Feature Request for IME Input on macOS When Inline Input Is Disabled
I would like to report an issue with IME (Input Method Editor) input and request improvements to the way InDesign handles non-Latin text input, such as Japanese.
InDesign Version
InDesign 21.5.1
The same issue also occurs in earlier versions.
Confirmed on macOS 15.7.9, but the issue also occurs on other versions of macOS.Steps to Reproduce
a. disable Preferences > Advanced Type > Input Method Options > Use &Inline Input for Non-Latin Text
b. Using the Type tool, place the text cursor in a story and enter CJK text while text is selected.
c. Undo the text input.Expected Result
The document should return to the state it was in before the text was entered.Actual Result
The document does not return to the state it was in before the text was entered.
The Undo command must be performed three times.
Additional Information
1. Performance when Inline Input is enabled
When a story contains a large amount of text, Apply Inline Input to Non-Latin Text causes input and display updates to become extremely slow.
For this reason, there are cases where I need to work with this option disabled.IME window position
As shown in the attached screenshots, the position of the IME window differs between InDesign 2023 and earlier versions and InDesign 2024 and later versions.
In both cases, however, the IME window cannot be moved away from the edge of the screen.
For example, I may place the text cursor in the center of the screen, but the IME window appears at the edge of the screen while I am entering and converting text. This forces me to look back and forth between the cursor position and the edge of the screen, which significantly disrupts the input workflow and is very tiring.Customizable IME window size and position
I would like the IME window to be freely resizable and movable by the user.
Its size and position should also be preserved and restored the next time InDesign is launched.
<にほんご>
インライン入力不使用時の不具合報告と改善要望日本語などCJK環境
で、入力-変換-確定 を行うためのIME(Input Method Editor)に関する不満があり、改善を希望します。- InDesignのバージョン
InDesign 21.5.1 およびそれ以前のバージョンも同様
macOS15.7.9 で確認 しかし他のmacOSでも発生- 再現手順
a. 環境設定 > 高度なテキスト > 入力オプション「ラテン文字以外にインライン入力を適用」のチェックをオフにする
b. 文字ツールでストーリー内のテキストを選択したまま、和字を入力
c. 手順bを取り消す- 期待される結果
ドキュメントはテキストを入力する前の状態に戻ること。
- 実際の結果
ドキュメントはテキストを入力する前の状態に戻らない。
取り消しが3回必要である。その他の情報
インライン入力を有効にした際のパフォーマンス低下
ストーリーが大量のテキストを含む場合「ラテン文字以外にインライン入力を適用」では入力と表示の更新があまりにも遅くなるため、オフで作業をしたい場合があります。IMEウィンドウの位置
添付画像の通り、2023以前と2024以降でIMEウィンドウの出現位置が異なりますが、いずれも画面の端から動かせません。画面の中央にカーソルを立てて、画面の端で文字を入力・変換するため、視点の移動が激しく入力作業が滞ってしまい、とても疲れます。IMEウィンドウのサイズと位置をカスタマイズ可能にしてほしい
IMEウィンドウのサイズと位置をユーザーが任意に変形・移動、またそれを次回アプリ起動時にも保持されてほしいです。
I would like to report an issue with IME (Input Method Editor) input and request improvements to the way InDesign handles non-Latin text input, such as Japanese.
InDesign Version
InDesign 21.5.1
The same issue also occurs in earlier versions.
Confirmed on macOS 15.7.9, but the issue also occurs on other versions of macOS.Steps to Reproduce
a. disable Preferences > Advanced Type > Input Method Options > Use &Inline Input for Non-Latin Text
b. Using the Type tool, place the text cursor in a story and enter CJK text while text is selected.
c. Undo the text input.Expected Result…
8 votes -
When the UI size is not the smallest, the effective area of the function that is forced to scroll when text is entered near the panel will s
The version that occurred: InDesign 18.3 or later,
and the previous version is likely to have a similar problem.
macOS 15.7.8Steps to reproduce the issues:
*Preferences > Enlarge/Reduce UI > Set the UI size to as the minimum
*Create a text frame
*Scroll and adjust the document so that the text insertion point comes near the right/bottom of the panel
*Enter textExpected result:
Text is entered, but inadvertent scrolling does not occur.Actual result:
When you enter text in a position covered by the panel, the function of forcing scrolling works. Due to the influence of the UI scale, there is a shift in the panel area from the upper left corner of the document.
When the UI size is the maximum, about twice the coordinate area is the area where forced scrolling occurs.
The same is true for the icon panel.The version that occurred: InDesign 18.3 or later,
and the previous version is likely to have a similar problem.
macOS 15.7.8Steps to reproduce the issues:
*Preferences > Enlarge/Reduce UI > Set the UI size to as the minimum
*Create a text frame
*Scroll and adjust the document so that the text insertion point comes near the right/bottom of the panel
*Enter textExpected result:
Text is entered, but inadvertent scrolling does not occur.Actual result:
When you enter text in a position covered by the panel, the function of forcing scrolling works. Due to the influence of the UI…8 votes -
[BUG] Generative AI Alt Text setting will turn itself on when importing user settings
Hello,
This is my 2nd day this week posting a very frustrating bug on InDesign and I consider this one far worse. In trying to figure out a bug with workspaces on Monday, I exported my current settings, reset InDesign preferences, and imported my settings back in.
I did not check the settings. I should have. The generate AI Alt-text box had been rechecked, and I had NEVER manually done that. I have recreated this issue more than 5+ in a row by:
- Resetting my InDesign preferences to the default and restarting.
- Reopening InDesign, checking off both Generative AI boxes in preferences
- Export those settings, reset preferences back to default on reset, and reopen InDesign
- When you reopen InDesign and import your preferences (they should be default with both Gen-AI boxes UNCHECKED), the “Auto-generate Alt Text when placing images” WILL BE TURNED ON EVERY TIME WITHOUT FAIL.
I cannot explain how upset I am by this bug. I am nearly insisting this broken and destructive feature be pulled from the app because it has only been a nuisance for most users I have spoken to. If there is n feature that can automatically affect 100+ photos in a document, why is there not a feature to automatically remove any changes? Why on earth to I have to manually fix the AI’s mistake that I didn’t even ask for???I spent the past 3 days working on files that now have had AI Alt text generated for them without me knowing. I have had those settings off since they first came out.
I have absolutely no way to know which files have been affected because AFAIK there is no history log.
BONUS TIME!!
I would also love to point out that the Alt-text tag is affected by layers. If your photo bleeds behind an object, the alt text symbol will be hidden. Maybe this is not new, but almost feels like another step to further hide AI alt text generation from users.
This bug has pretty much broken me on this problem and made me furious. Are there even bug testers for these features? I am a designer, not a software engineer, yet this is my second InDesign bug found this week that has seriously impacted my workflow and made me take time out of my work day to address it. I am furious. At this point I feel I deserve compensation lmao.
InDesign 21.3 on Mac M1 Ultra Tahoe 26.5.1
Hello,
This is my 2nd day this week posting a very frustrating bug on InDesign and I consider this one far worse. In trying to figure out a bug with workspaces on Monday, I exported my current settings, reset InDesign preferences, and imported my settings back in.
I did not check the settings. I should have. The generate AI Alt-text box had been rechecked, and I had NEVER manually done that. I have recreated this issue more than 5+ in a row by:
- Resetting my InDesign preferences to the default and restarting.
- Reopening InDesign, checking off…
8 votes -
(InDesign)Problem with metadata after conversion v15 to v20
After converting some old .indd files to v20 from v15 I see that custom metadata is completely wrong. I’d assume that during conversion InDesign finds old metadata packets and set incorrect values
Here is the cimpress:Id value we have before conversion which is correct(pic1)But after conversion to v20(v19 works correct) I got something like this(pic2):
To convert the file you need to simply open BEFORE_CONVERSION.indd in v20 IndesignExpected result is cimpress:Id have same value as pic1.png
Actual result is pic2.png
Is it possible to fix conversion process somehow, because it breaks a lot of flows and makes migration to the new InDesign versions impossible?After converting some old .indd files to v20 from v15 I see that custom metadata is completely wrong. I’d assume that during conversion InDesign finds old metadata packets and set incorrect values
Here is the cimpress:Id value we have before conversion which is correct(pic1)But after conversion to v20(v19 works correct) I got something like this(pic2):
To convert the file you need to simply open BEFORE_CONVERSION.indd in v20 IndesignExpected result is cimpress:Id have same value as pic1.png
Actual result is pic2.png
Is it possible to fix conversion process somehow, because it breaks a lot of flows and makes migration…8 votes -
Share for Review fails to update - InDesign 2026
InDesign 2026 v21.0 (the latest update)
Creating a new Share for Review link works without issue. However, updating an existing review link consistently triggers the error: “There was an error updating the artifact.” When this happens, the review document does not update. The only way to refresh the content is by generating a new review link, which unfortunately removes all previously added comments.
This is not a new problem, it’s a recurring issue that has resurfaced for many users, seemingly starting again around late October. It’s extremely frustrating, especially since Share for Review has become an essential part of how we proof documents with our team and clients. Across our team of four, using slightly different setups, we all experience the same problem. At this point, the feature is practically unusable.
Is there a plan to fix this and restore full functionality to Share for Review?
InDesign 2026 v21.0 (the latest update)
Creating a new Share for Review link works without issue. However, updating an existing review link consistently triggers the error: “There was an error updating the artifact.” When this happens, the review document does not update. The only way to refresh the content is by generating a new review link, which unfortunately removes all previously added comments.
This is not a new problem, it’s a recurring issue that has resurfaced for many users, seemingly starting again around late October. It’s extremely frustrating, especially since Share for Review has become an essential part of how…
8 votes -
Shadow
ID 2026, 21.0 x 64:
When I move a field/object, the drop shadow is partly not moved to the same place. It appears in different places. See screenshot attached. The text field is grouped, the QR code is not.
This ist new with ID 2026. Thank you8 votesPlease send the following information to sharewithID@adobe.com :
- Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when the issue occurred?
- Video recording of the issue
- Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide us with the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)
—
Adobe InDesign Team
-
[ID-4272869] InDesign adds Blank space to top during PNG export for converted documents
I booted up 2026 (version 21.0) and opened a file that I was working on literally yesterday. I have a text box over a solid fill background shape. When I exported them both together yesterday, it worked as expected. Today, it exports with an obnoxious blank space (or filled space if I uncheck "Transparent Background") at the top.
Absolutely nothing changed with the file, it's just happening in 2026 and not in 2025. Comparison attached.
Workaround: Export the document to IDML
8 votesThis issue is fixed in the latest InDesign Release 21.1
Please update your version of InDesign to this latest release whenever it becomes available in your locale via the CCD app.
--
Adobe InDesign team
-
OR Operator with Anchors Behaves Incorrectly
InDesign GREP Bug Report: OR Operator with Anchors Behaves Incorrectly
Summary
InDesign's GREP engine does not handle the OR operator (|) correctly when used with anchors (^ and $). This behavior differs significantly from standard regex engines and produces unexpected, inconsistent results.Problem Description
When using the OR operator with anchors in InDesign GREP, the anchors are interpreted with incorrect precedence, causing the pattern to behave differently than expected. This issue has been confirmed as a bug by Peter Kahrel, author of "GREP in InDesign."Test Cases and Results
Test Case 1: ^ab|c
Text: ab ac bc Expected (standard regex): Matches "ab" at line start AND "c" anywhere Actual InDesign result: Only matches "ab" at line start Issue: InDesign interprets as ^(ab|c) instead of (^ab)|cTest Case 2: ^a|bc
Text: ab ac bc Expected (standard regex): Matches "a" at line start AND "bc" anywhere Actual InDesign result: Only matches "a" at line start Issue: Same precedence problem as Test Case 1Test Case 3: (^a)|bc
Text: ab ac bc Expected (standard regex): Matches "a" at line start AND "bc" anywhere Actual InDesign result: Still only matches "a" at line start Issue: Even explicit grouping doesn't resolve the problemTest Case 4: (a$)|bc
Text: ab ac bca Expected (standard regex): Matches "a" at line end AND "bc" anywhere Actual InDesign result: Only matches "bc" ($ anchor completely ignored) Issue: End-of-line anchor is ignored entirelyTest Case 5: bc|(a$)
Text: ab ac bca Expected (standard regex): Matches "bc" anywhere AND "a" at line end Actual InDesign result: Only matches "bc" ($ anchor ignored) Issue: End-of-line anchor ignored regardless of positionTest Case 6: bc|a$
Text: ab ac bca ac ab bc a Expected (standard regex): Matches "bc" anywhere AND "a" at line end Actual InDesign result: No matches at all Issue: Pattern completely fails when $ anchor is second in OR expressionImpact
* Users cannot rely on standard regex behavior for OR operations with anchors
* Complex workarounds are required for simple pattern matching
* Documentation doesn't warn users about this non-standard behavior
* Patterns that work in other regex engines fail unexpectedly in InDesignTechnical Details
* InDesign Version: 20.3.1 x64Requested Fix
Please fix the OR operator precedence to match standard regex behavior:
1. ^ab|c should match "ab" at line start OR "c" anywhere
2. (a$)|bc should match "a" at line end OR "bc" anywhere
3. Explicit grouping should work as expected
4. End-of-line anchors should not be ignored in OR expressionsInDesign GREP Bug Report: OR Operator with Anchors Behaves Incorrectly
Summary
InDesign's GREP engine does not handle the OR operator (|) correctly when used with anchors (^ and $). This behavior differs significantly from standard regex engines and produces unexpected, inconsistent results.Problem Description
When using the OR operator with anchors in InDesign GREP, the anchors are interpreted with incorrect precedence, causing the pattern to behave differently than expected. This issue has been confirmed as a bug by Peter Kahrel, author of "GREP in InDesign."Test Cases and Results
Test Case 1: ^ab|c
Text: ab ac bc Expected (standard regex):…8 votes -
History panel logs issues
The history panel does not allow some actions to be undone. One is the act of stepping back several steps. As long as no new actions are done, you can step forward again, but as soon as you complete a new action, the inbetween steps disappear. The undo/redo history is also cleared; only new actions completed after that point can be undone. This is a problem because is makes it impossible to test various options and then quickly return to the original option, as I have often done in the past. Instead, the desired option must be set up again from scratch. (tested in v. 20.1, but also caused issues in older versions)
• Actions logged appear to update/condense/disappear when switching to and from the Type tool. For example, if I create a text frame, enter some text, and then apply a stroke, the “Create text frame” option is no longer visible in the history panel, nor can it be undone with undo. If I create a 2nd text frame, all the previous steps for the first text frame disappear. Because “open” remains as the first action, it appears as if no other new actions were completed, but this is entirely false. Losing the ability to undo one’s actions is a serious hindrance. Undo history should not be cleared until the document is closed. I have also noticed there is sometimes a significant lag when switching to and from the text tool, and I suspect it has something to do with this. (tested in v. 20.1, did not notice before)
• Many actions logged are too vague to identify, especially when multiple instances of the same action occur. It would be ideal if, instead of “Typing,” one would see “Typing 123…” Link updates could include a right click option to jump to the affected link. Alternately, selecting a step could select the affected text or object, or a page number could be made visible in the panel. It would also be helpful to save a thumbnail at certain points. (in all versions I have used, current version is 20.1)
The history panel does not allow some actions to be undone. One is the act of stepping back several steps. As long as no new actions are done, you can step forward again, but as soon as you complete a new action, the inbetween steps disappear. The undo/redo history is also cleared; only new actions completed after that point can be undone. This is a problem because is makes it impossible to test various options and then quickly return to the original option, as I have often done in the past. Instead, the desired option must be set up again…
8 votes -
8 votes
-
InCopy: Notes in text shifting randomly when exported as PDF.
InCopy version 18 and 19.
To recreate the issue : add a note to any point of a text paragraph in InCopy and export the document as PDF. This results in the note (yellow sticky note) shifting randomly within the PDF document.
What should happen is that the yellow sticky note should be in the area of where the note was initially anchored in InCopy, after you export it as PDF.
8 votes -
.svg library assets are not supported anymore at version 19.3
Elements from the library with the .svg file format are no longer supported in version 19.3. In Illustrator the assates still works.
8 votes -
cursor stuck on hand
My system has just updated InDesign to 19.1 (08/01/24) and I now have a grabber hand cursor appearing every time I try and click on anything in my file.
This also happens if I have another tool selected such as text box. The tool icon appears but if I click on a text box the hand comes back. It's rendered doing anything in InDesign files useless. I can't find a setting for it and I have tried resetting preferences but it is still happening. My computer system is running Ventura 13.6.
Does anyone have a work around?
8 votes -
PAC 2021 Error for InDesign generated PDF : Object reference not set to an instance of an object
I am still getting Object reference not set to an instance of an object when testing pdf files in PAC 21. This error apparently relates to 'PDF Export using ZIP compression for images shows an “Insufficient data for an image” error on opening in Acrobat.
This was supposed to be fixed in ID 18.5 but its now happening with every PDF I check for accessibility, even a single page with simple text.
Working for local government and its imperative our PDF files exported from ID are fully accessible and tested. Seek an urgent fix.
8 votesThis issue is fixed in the latest InDesign version 19.4
Please update to this version of InDesign to get the fix.
--
Adobe InDesign team
-
Across platform seamless real-time collaboration
I think this issues is raised with the co-auther note, but it's slightly ambigious what's meant. Therefor I'll just restate that an option to collaborate and work seamless across workstations in the same InDesign document would be very helpful. Something similar to the Office-package in this regard would be amazing, where you can see what and where the other collaborators are editing and in what sections. It's a hassle to have multiple copies and remember to copy every edit into a masterfile in the end.
8 votes
- Don't see your idea?