Bug details

CC2018 IDML files not compatible with CS6

Clients who have CS6 can't open any IDML files I create/export in CC2018. They receive an error message saying the format is unsupported or a plug-in is missing. IDML files created/exported from an earlier version of CC (2017) work fine.

6 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tracey Moore shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Steven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey guys I am having this exact same problem on InDesign since my school uses creative cloud 2018 the newest version. I downsaved to CS4 or later because I wanted to open it at home since I have the older version and not even that worked.... I had lots of information on that file and I can't manage to open it in any way what can I do to convert the file if it can't be opened? is there a solution to salvaging it since the file is actually there....?

• Muhammad Sohail commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

anybody with an update??? I need it for a school project because my school's computers use CS6 and I used CC 2018 for my work and my teacher needs to be able to open the InDesign file. Please help

• Sevvy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem, I have been working on projects in the new CC 2018 version of InDesign, saved it out as an IDML as to be able to open the work on another computer that has InDesign CS 6. However when I try to open up the file in CS 6 I get a message saying:

Cannot open file " File name.idml". Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application.

I have made sure all plugins are up to date on both of the versions as well as that no other applications are open when trying to open the file up in the CS 6 InDesign. There has been no success.

I run the programs on a Windows desktop, Windows 10 with 64 GB RAM, 64 Bit operating system and an
    Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.1GHz processors.

Please help, I have screenshots if necessary if that will help.

• jes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot open an idml file in 2018. I can only open this file in 2014.

can someone help.

Thanks,
    Jes

• J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having same prob. saving as idml in latest Indesign CC and client can't open in InDesign CS6. (Have tried saving as idml, packaging to get idml, renaming as .zip then changing back to .idml). Error message reads: Cannot open the file "tester.idml". Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update from Adobe on this issue? I need to create a CC2018 IDML that will be opened in InDesign 2014

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CC2017 IDML files not compatible with CS6 or the CS6 update. I too am receiving the same message trying to open an IDML file in CS6 v8.1 (Windows 7) that was created in CC2017 with downsaved selection to IDML (using Mac). Which plugin? No other application is open. I updated CS6 to the latest. We're literally stuck.

• Kate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, just wondering if a solution has been found for this issue?

I've had to discontinue my CC 2018 subscription as I'm no longer a student, and prepared for this by saving everything as .imdl. Now, none of the .imdl docs will open now using CC2015.

Thanks

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this message pop up when I attempt to open an idml file generated with Adobe InDesign 2018 13.0.1 in Creative suite 6:

"Cannot open the file ' File Name.idml'. Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."

I have reinstalled Indesign to ensure all plugins are present and installed, turned off all fonts, checked that only one version of the file is open and closed all other Adobe and non-adobe applications to ensure the file is not open in any other applications.

Interestingly, idml files created before the update open fine, with all data as expected.

• Jim Lukens-Gable commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The exact version of InDesign CC 2018 on the PC is 13.0.1 x64. We updated InDesign yesterday a which point IDML broke. Prior to that latest update, we were able to successfully create IDML files on the PC and open them on the Mac running CC 2015 11.0.0.72 build.

• Jim Lukens-Gable commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are experiencing a similar issue: When either exporting as an InDesign Markup (IDML), or using Save As InDesign CS4 or later (IDML), from a PC running Adobe InDesign CC 2018 13.0.1, then attempting to open the idml file on a Mac running CC 2015 11.0.0.72 build, we get an error message. "Cannot open 'Name of File' because it was saved with a newer version of Adobe InDesign CC (13.0). You must use that version or later to open the file. To then enable it to be opened in this version, choose Save As InDesign CS4 or later, or export to IDML." InDesign CC 2015 then gets in a continuous loop with the dialog box not going away and we need to force quit the application.

• Wendy Briggs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having the same problem. I couldn't see where to upload the screen shot. So, here is the message I get when I try to open an IDLM file in CS6 from the new CC2018:

Cannot open the file "ACOM102ENE01_TG_01.17.01_wb.idml". Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application.

I created the IDML file myself, so I know where it came from. I opened the background tasks window while I tried to export again, and notices that after four hours of exporting the file, it was only 78% complete. How can we resolve this issue?

• Tracey Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, I feel really dumb right now, but I can't seem to post the screenshot picture. Does it need to be in a certain format?

• Monica Singh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for reporting this issue. Please let us know which plug-in, it is prompting for miss. Or please share a screenshot of the error you are receiving.

~Monica

Feedback and Knowledge Base