Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6588 results found

1. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Spell Check changing to Catalan (Spanish) half-way through

Spell check is changing from English to Catalan on a particular page of my document every time I check it. I have tried changing it back and will select English and then it will still say Catalan and try to change all of my words to Spanish.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Apply Overrides to style using option click not working

1. InDesign CC2019
    2. option-clicking on a style sheet should apply it with clear overrides.
    3. it doesn’t. You have to right click on it to Apply ‘style’ clear overriders
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Clicking on master page items with type tool

1. InDesign CC2019
    2. clicking on master page items on a page with the text tool selected should make that text box active – like it has done for so many years
    3. it doesn’t. You have to change to the main selection tool, then click on the text box, then click back on the type tool to edit the text. Creating a pain when you have a lot of master pages set up.
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly every time I launch Indesign CC 14.0.1

I am using Indesign CC14.0.1 on a MAC - OS Mojave V 10.14.1
    Whenever I launch Indesign I get a crash pop up saying AIGPU Sniffer has quit unexpectedly.
    Indesign is fine to work in however I am fed up with this AIGPU issue coming up all the time and don't know if it is effecting anything else?
    I've had loads of issues with the latest CC - really not impressed Adobe! Any suggestions on how to stop this happening?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Thanks for reporting the issue to us. We are currently investigating the issue.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Indesign performance issue : Slow work of Indesign when editing text with large footnotes

I'd like to report a bug. Please follow the scenario below:

1. In a single column with lots of text in it, make two columns for a fragment of text

2. In text within the two-column setup, make a footnote. Add several lines of text to the footnote

3. Turn on the "Span Footnotes Across Columns" feature so that footnote ends up in the same group with the footnotes at the bottom of the page rather than below the two-column fragment

4. Expected behaviour: normal editing can be performed after these manipulations

5. Observed behaviour: any text editing after turning on the "Span Footnotes Across…

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Margins – Irrelevant error message

CC2019 14.0.1 MacOS
    If I have a custom size page in the document (with it's own custom margins), that is smaller than the documents default margins – I get an error message every time I make InD active.

To repoduce:
    -Make new document – A4 with 20 mm margins
    -Add one page
    -Change margins on new page to 0 mm
    -Change with of new page to 10 mm width
    -Hide InDesign
    -Reactivate InDesign – Error message shown

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

8. Kontur aussen ausrichten

Kontur aussen ausrichten stimmt nicht. Kontur soll ausserhalb des Bildrahmens sein, ist es aber nicht. ist momentan wie Kontur innen ausrichten, nur dass es den Bildrahmen automatisch vergrössert. ich möchte jedoch den Bildrahmen am Dokumentenrahmen andocken und dass die Kontur dementsprechend ausserhalb des Dokumentes ist.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. overset endnotes

Not sure where to post this. I do a lot of journals using Indesign. I find that in Indesign 2018 and 2019 when you place a Word.doc with endnotes it brings in the endnotes okay but only the first page. The other endnotes are overset. It does not do this in Indesign 2017. Can something be done to fix this?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. updating links

When updating links in InDesign CC 14.0 (an InDesign file linked to 4 instances) the update comes in too large for the frame. So you have to Fit Content Proportionally. This happens with PSD and AI files as well.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. updating links

When updating links (an InDesign file linked to 4 instances) the update comes in too large for the frame. So you have to Fit Content Proportionally. This happens with PSD and AI files as well.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Data Merge not populating fields CC2019

I use Data Merge for variable data production every day. I am using IDCC2019 v14.0.1. iMac 27 inch late 2013. OS High Sierra 10.13.6. Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5. 16 GB memory.

This problem started with IDCC2019. I link to .csv for data merge. When exporting to PDF, I choose a record range – for example 1-1000. In the PDF result, the first page is not the first record. It is a random record in the middle – for example, 319. It merges records 319-1000. Then the remaining pages of the 1000 page output are not populated – in the…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

13. Import dialog box drag and drop

We used to be able to bring up the import dialog (or open, or save as too) and then drag and drop a file or folder from the Finder to be able to either go to that folder or import that file. Since upgrading to Mojave and InDesign 14.0.1 that functionality no longer works. Sometimes it does but mostly it doesn't.. It now copies whatever you've dragged into the currently open folder in InDesign. This was a real time saver before and is now a pain. It may be an Apple thing but I thought I'd post it here to…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Imported drawn PDF comments don't adjust in ID layout

1. ID 14
    2. Import a batch of PDF comments into layout, including edits made using the Oval and Arrow tools to show placement. Then proceed to apply edits, thereby adjusting the location of the text on the page.
    3. I would expect the drawn edits to be tagged to a location in the text, and to track with the copy as it reflows. If this feature is going to be available, that is.
    4. Actual result: the markup remains on the page at the coordinates at which it was imported. By the time to you get to that location, if you've been making…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Endnote numbers superscripted overriden after Epub Export

After importing a document with the non-static text endnotes option, I applied a superscript character style to the endnote numbers and when I export to ePub 3.0 the superscripting disappears. The numbers references in the text are still superscripted as they should be, but the superscripting on the numbers before each endnote at the end of document has been dropped. For some reason Epub Export overrides the applied character style.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. locked objects

InDesign CC 2019 14.01, iMac OSx 10.13.6

Serious lag (+10 seconds) and inability to move or edit objects occurs whenever there are locked objects in the layout. I was able to select (after a long delay) but not move or edit a simple text+shape group while I had background and secondary elements locked. Once those were unlocked, the app started to work again as normal.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Text has Overrides when copy/pasted within the same text frame

This is with regards to InDesign 13.1
    As you can see in the screenshot, when I copy a text and put it in the same text frame (same paragraph style) it automatically has an override.
    Hovering over the name of the paragraph style does not show the deviation, but right-clicking allows to clear all overrides (which successfully removes them).

It is quite annoying to get an override every time I copy text or a text frame.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Properties panel does not get loaded on startup if part of a current workspace

I made Properties panel part of my workspace. Saved the new updated workspace under same name (re-written).

Now when I start InDesign, last workspace gets automatically loaded but the Properties panel does not show up. Have to click in Reset workspace, only then it reappears.

Recently I added another panel to be part of my workspace (Bookmarks). This panel always shows up automatically upon launching InDesign, but the Properties panel is still missing along will other panels that are attached to it (layers, pdf comments).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign 14.0.1 is crashing hourly

For three days my InDesign 14.0.1 has been crashing almost exactly hourly. It just freezes and I get the spinning beachball. Only recourse is to re-start my Mac. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Prior to this, I had downloaded Lightroom... I thought this might have been the initial cause. I uninstalled Lightroom and all my Adobe products. Any ideas?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

20. XMP file info dialog box (for linked images) no longer shows up

I clicked the flyout menu in the Links panel, and choose to display the XMP file info and the dialog box doesn't show up. It's like it is off screen somewhere, as all the menus are then grayed out. I can hit Escape a few times to get out of it. But sometimes InDesign totally locks up and I have to force quit.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base