Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6428 results found

1. Cannot disable tool tips

These are annoying/distracting, and I cannot turn them off!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. font size panel freeze windows 10

InDesign 13 and 14.0 / Windows 10 x64

when i click on font size panel for change value, windows freeze and others indesign list panels (color - fonts) chase the mouse movements.
    For restore windows and bugs panel, i need to use the menu mouse button with one click.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. images oversized on text import

This is not a new issue. Just haven't reported it before.
    I work on educational books. Text comes in Word files.
    Almost every time I place a Word file with graphics, the graphics show up HUGE. Some are so big, the only way I've been able to deal with is create a huge file, open the text box up to include every bit of space.
    Today... the only size that would allow me to see the graphic was 400p x 400p!

Not an isolated issue. I receive Word files from multiple sources, and every Word file upon import has graphics…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. adobe freezing and getting beach ball spin constantly

Everytime I upload, save, place etc I get beach ball after beach ball...

It's not my computer...I have the 10k Imac Pro...

It mainly started when I installed OS Mojave. Adress this asap please as it is affecting work flow.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Arabic Diacritics move to unwanted places if you use an Index Marker in the same line

1. Adobe InDesign CC 14.0 (Middle Eastern version -- English يدعم العربية)

2. a. Type this Arabic text: شَيْء غريب

3. b. Create new Index entry for the second word: غريب

4. The Diacritics should stay as they were.

5. Diacritic of the second letter (يْ) goes somewhere else.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Unable to export to pdf

Hi there, I am unable to package some of the InDesign files I am working on at the moment. It shows the error messages attached. Initially, it showed a conversion error however now this no longer shows and it just refuses to allow me to export to pdf and therefore package the document. I have no idea how to fix the issue as it doesn't give any indication at to why it isn't working which is super frustrating.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Drop CAP Extends to the Next Paragraph

When a paragraph using a drop initial has fewer lines than what is indicated in the drop initial dialog, the following paragraph indents for as many lines as is missing in the previous drop initial paragraph, even if the following paragraph has space between it and the preceding drop initial paragraph.

The attached example shows a 1 line paragraph with drop a initial set up as 2 lines. The next paragraph indents.

I think it very odd that the drop initial formatting goes beyond the paragraph to which it is applied. Took me a bit to figure out where the…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Edit original not launching native application

Edit original was easy to access using option + click linked image.
    Since the latest update InDesign v14.10 and Mac OS Mojave, this action opens the 'Import PDF' dialogue and if you click 'Ok' launches Photoshop. The linked image is an Illustrator .ai file. All used to work, why the change?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Assert after closing InDesign CC 2019 Debug.

After clear installation Adobe InDesign CC 2019 Debug every time when I am closing application I have this Assert dialog box:

Interface kLanguageImpl changed but not marked dirty. First difference occurrs at offset 54

d:\development\siriusr14\source\omlib\session\pmpersist.cpp (1425)

I have only Skip and Debugger buttons. Skip open new dialog box (the same information).

There are no plugins. Only clear install.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Background Tasks Palette too wide

The Background Tasks Palette is too wide compared to other palettes in the UI (MacOS).
    I dock several palettes together to save real estate on my monitor. When I focus on most palettes, the width is 240 pixels, but the Background Tasks palette can't be made narrower than 400 pixels – a 66% increase! If there was a reason to have this palette be so wide I'd understand the limitation, but most of the relevant information in that palette would easily fit within the 240 width.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

12. .ai imported file bounding box turns solid black when printed

.ai imported file bounding box turns solid black when printed. The previous version of ID left me choose "the printer determines colors" under Color Handling. After the recent upgrade that selection is no longer available.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. exporting a book to PDF (dialogue box

When exporting a book to PDF from Indesign CC2019 on Mac OSX Mojave, the export pdf dialogue box ("Generating PDF") displays (showing progress / page count) but it can't be hidden (or covered over) by switching to another app or browser window like it used to. Eg if it was z layers in CSS, it is always sitting on top and getting in the way of multi-tasking whilst exporting the book file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Indesign CC 2019 Bugs(Preserve Styles and Formatting from Text and Tables)

I usually use the inDesign to import the created word file.
    However, if I check the Preserve Styles and Formatting from Text and Tables in indesign cc 2019 and import the file, the formatting of the text will be deleted.
    This does not happen with Indesign cc 2018, but this will continue to happen in this 2019 upgrade.
    I ask you to correct this problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Objects with Opacity Fill below 100%, appear as 100% when PDF proof placed in a layout file.

Created ad with objects containing simple color fills below 100% (50% and 30%) opacity. Exported proofs to use in a Indesign magazine layout file. Once the PDF was dropped into a frame, those faded opacity values jumped back to 100%. Fix was to re-edit the original files, change Opacity values, re-save, re-export proof, drop proof back into main layout. Very annoying.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Support for higher resolutions

I didn't find a possibility to open "Mehr Optionen" (more options) in the new tab "Eigenschaften" on the right side BY DEFAULT. On TFTs with 2160px there is no need für reducing options

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Assignments checked out from two PCs simultaneously

I updated my CC to 2019, but the designer hasn't. She's still using 2018.
    I had checked out some assignments from a indd file in the intra server and checked all in when I was done.
    Before notifying my designer she came and asked, "how were you able to work o the assignments when I was working on them?"
    She was working on the same indd file, from InDesign, with all assignments checked out.
    And yet, when I checked all in, she got "update" signs next to the assignments. And weirdly, when she updated them all, they updated fine with…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Document size change/Master page elements appearing on pages where no master page is applied

When changing the page size in Document Setup and ensuring that adjust layout is not selected, master page elements are showing up on pages where master pages are not applied.

Version: INDD CC 2019

Steps to Reproduce: (this does not happen in all cases) In this instance, I changed the document page size in document set up and ensured "Adjust layout" was not selected.

Expected Result: The document page size would change throughout, keeping the same layout as/properties as before.

Actual Result: Master page elements were applied to pages that did not have the master page applied (i.e. header on…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base